Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Have you given up being Ollie Horgan's PR man now Harps are Relegated?
    Well if i was doing his PR i would at least be able to say he kept Harps up against the odds year after year while clubs like Shels , Cork etc with budgets way above him went down.
    He also was/is unbelievably hard working.
    Imagine if Ian Ryan had actually done that instaed of finishing 6th in a 9 team divison hed be managing Ireland at this stage for sure if not Manchester United.
    I reckon Ollies time is up at Harps but hopefullly the new stadium progress delivers enough momentum to push the club on.

2. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    Huge blow for Wexford. Ryaner did a fantastic job over the season and a half he was with us and not surprised he's in demand.
    Wexford FC advertising for Head of Academy , reporting to the Head of Football. Who is the Head of Football at Wexford FC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Director of Football at Wexford was Tom O'Connor but he has now left. Subject to correction, I think they've now split the job into two with a Head of Football and Head of Academy. No formal announcement as to who the new Head of Football is going to be as yet.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    Director of Football at Wexford was Tom O'Connor but he has now left. Subject to correction, I think they've now split the job into two with a Head of Football and Head of Academy. No formal announcement as to who the new Head of Football is going to be as yet.
    Thanks. So new Head of Football, new First Team Manager and new Head of Academy. All change!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Let Barry Cotter free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Will be interesting to see the calibre of playing incoming now for Dundalk, Shepperd has 1+1 deal, so he'll sign, then with Hoban, Kelly, Sloggett, Lewis, O'Kane and possibly Doyle and Mountney all under contract it's a good base to start off with. Would imagine Ward will be extended, same for Leahy prob in a 2 year deal, but we need central defenders. Lewis Macari had an excellent season but he is probably heading back to Stoke City.

I'd imagine Benson will do his usual one year deal, but a good few of the old guard will probably have played their last game in the shape of McMillan, Cherrie, possibly Gartland but he had a great game last night in Derry, Boyle is at end of the last bigger contracts under p6 so he'll need to adjust his earning expectation or leave.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    healy deal finally done, hopefully we can motor on now signing much needed reinforcements. massive task ahead of us staying up next year, at least the manager signing back on has been sorted early doors. fingers crossed waterford capitulate in the play offs, wouldnt mind nicking a few lads off them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Will be interesting to see the calibre of playing incoming now for Dundalk, Shepperd has 1+1 deal, so he'll sign, then with Hoban, Kelly, Sloggett, Lewis, O'Kane and possibly Doyle and Mountney all under contract it's a good base to start off with. Would imagine Ward will be extended, same for Leahy prob in a 2 year deal, but we need central defenders. Lewis Macari had an excellent season but he is probably heading back to Stoke City.

I'd imagine Benson will do his usual one year deal, but a good few of the old guard will probably have played their last game in the shape of McMillan, Cherrie, possibly Gartland but he had a great game last night in Derry, Boyle is at end of the last bigger contracts under p6 so he'll need to adjust his earning expectation or leave.
    Do you think keeping the bulk of your current squad will get you any closer to winning the title next season, or are you just pinning your hopes on Hoban scoring a load of goals, assuming he stays fit?
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I wouldn't think league title aspirations are realistic for DFC next year, its all about improving and continuing to re-build. SOD has done a great job, joint 2nd and back into Europe in his first season, even taking away the free 3 points from Sligo game, its still 2 clear of Pats.

The ambition will be to retain top 3 and for a period, maybe win a cup, but I would think with the money Rovers have now, and Derry's future budget, overtaking either or both is not a runner at least for the next few years in any case. Who knows what lies ahead though, when we retained the league in late Sept 2019, Covid wasn't even spoken about.

Finances are at least in good shape, no debt and prob euro pot / left over from P6 down to 1m, so that's a solid base, just the ground continues to be the problem for fans.
    Last edited by oriel; 07/11/2022 at 1:49 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I wouldn't think league title aspirations are realistic for DFC next year, its all about improving and continuing to re-build. SOD has done a great job, joint 2nd and back into Europe in his first season, even taking away the free 3 points from Sligo game, its still 2 clear of Pats.

The ambition will be to retain top 3 and for a period, maybe win a cup, but I would think with the money Rovers have now, and Derry's future budget, overtaking either or both is not a runner at least for the next few years in any case. Who knows what lies ahead though, when we retained the league in late Sept 2019, Covid wasn't even spoken about.

Finances are at least in good shape, no debt and prob euro pot / left over from P6 down to 1m, so that's a solid base, just the ground continues to be the problem for fans.
    Oh is there currently 1m prizemoney left? Cant remember where I saw it, but when S'OD took over at the start of last season I thought I saw P6 had 300k left over.

Last year European ranking will stick around for so was v important to qualify for Europe this year. Will be seeded for at least the the first 2 rounds I think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Yes it was much better than anyone could have expected, the P6 handover**, left 1.4M in the bank at back end of Nov 2021. With no euro monies paid in 2022, I would say a small loss this year, maybe I'm wrong, as gates were decent and budget was modest.

No debt is a the big one too, but to be fair Statsports led current owners had sounded out that Europe was essential to get as its a huge budget gap not having 250k- 500k or so incoming.

Only my own view that the pot is probably down to around 1m now, more details here.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-42093045.html

On seeding DFC will start on 8.5 coefficient, that will be enough for 2 rounds seeded, possibly 3 but I don't it will, 2 should be max, still it helps.

**Plus they effectively wrote off a loss, the least they could do !
    Last edited by oriel; 07/11/2022 at 5:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    It would appear that Emakhu has played his last game for Rovers.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...-last-28431450

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I heard that our sponsors Bishopsgate are focusing elsewhere on sponsorship and are going to sponsor London Irish instead. What that means for us is the unknown and a uncertain future. I wouldnt be surprised that it would lead to more locals playing for us next season as I think we will find it hard to match the outgoing sponsors and a vastly reduced budget. Watch this space is all I say.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    healy deal finally done, hopefully we can motor on now signing much needed reinforcements. massive task ahead of us staying up next year, at least the manager signing back on has been sorted early doors. fingers crossed waterford capitulate in the play offs, wouldnt mind nicking a few lads off them.
    Out of curiosity whom from Waterford would you like to take?

The last time Cork signed a player at the end of his deal, it worked hugely in our favour. We went on to sign a far better player then Britton, whom also went on to outscore Britton too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Sligo is in an interesting place this offseason.

There seems to be an emergence of a 'Top 4', with them being cut well adrift. At this stage, I would be surprised if that gap was closed by next year as those teams have solid cores and are looking to expand and improve with bigger budgets (St. Pats might change depending on the cup final).

However, they have possibly one of the best players and top goalscorers in the league in Keena. Dan McDonnell has said that Rovers and Derry are interested in breaking the leagues' transfer record to get him - plus there probably will be interest across the water for him. They probably are the best place team at the moment to catch the top 4, considering the bit of a mess at Bohs, and the anti-football at Shels (who might be in Europe next year though), both are far behind in my opinion.

So do they look to win now since they have a really important piece to get back into Europe and push the boat out looking for new players to surround Keena with some quality (but possibly lose him to an English club triggering his release clause) by increasing their playing budget to be more competive with the top 4, or do they be more conservative with it, play it safe with there budget and possibly cash-in with Keena? In what might be a very compeitive league, that might also flirt with relegation too if they go down that route.

I would say, only by keeping Keena would Sligo have a chance of getting into Europe through the league, which is worth 250k. That should be the calculation of what the fee for Keena should be based on for them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Sligo is in an interesting place this off-season.
    They probably are the best place team at the moment to catch the top 4, considering the bit of a mess at Bohs.
    Looking at the final table, I was struck by Bohs only finishing 3 pts behind sligo, and with a better goal difference. Even after a shambolic season Bohs could easily have finished 5th. IMO that’s the clearest evidence of the top 4 pulling away. And those mid table prem teams will be the hardest bit by the new wage rules. Not looking easy for any of them to get closer to the top 4 any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    I would say, only by keeping Keena would Sligo have a chance of getting into Europe through the league, which is worth 250k. That should be the calculation of what the fee for Keena should be based on for them.
    Can’t argue with your valuation on Keena. He seems a level above any time I saw him. I was at Bohs v Sligo on Sun and was sitting beside a scout from Cheltenham town who was looking at Keena and Burt. He’ll have suitors no doubt. Hopefully his release clause is a decent sum.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think it's reasonable enough - quite comparable with the guys who left in the summer for places like Lincoln, Fleetwood and MK Dons. We still need a few players to really justify higher price tags before they'll be paid more regularly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Things can change very quickly season to season in LOI so you never know what can happen. What's probably only guaranteed is the top 2 will be Rovers / Derry, it will be quite hard to dislodge Dundalk and Pats too for top 4, so would agree with KB's summary.

Also it will take a double whammy of a bad season by either Dundalk or Pats, then Sligo to have a much improved one to get into top 4, so it won't be easy for them, but they banked 850k gross from europe with only one long trip to pay, so they'll be in a good position regardless.

From the chasing pack i don't see any other club for now being able to challenge for top 4, but again things can change quickly, a lot of player movement for starters and that will start soon enough

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You could have said the same a couple of years ago though when Sligo/Bohs were in Europe getting good runs. And Pat's aren't even in Europe as things stand so they'll be crossing fingers for Derry on Sunday.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The league is being rinsed of its top young talent again and the season is only a few days over. Jamie Mullins to Brighton, Aidemo Emaku tbc, I hear Tommy Lonergan wanted by several teams, Dylan Duffy to Lincoln.

It's really great to see the league providing the platform for the top young players to get the moves, but IMHO the quality of the league is in serious decline, outside of a handful of teams, everyone is in reverse in terms of quality of players, and the 1st Division is getting worse each season and won't get any better any time soon.

Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast