Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1779

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Keith Long appointed Waterford manager,decent appointment for both parties I think….
    I'm surprised Long has took that job as he was always going to be top of the candidate list for the next attractive Premier Division vacancy

Long certainly isn't any mug you can only think he was received from the owner serious amounts of cast iron guarantees with investment, recruitment and support to get them promoted this season, watch and see I suppose
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Havent had the chance to read Garts book yet, there are plenty of former players that have a rant in a book about managers - Roy Keane eg. I suppose its questioning how he could have been the assistant manager during one of the most successful spells that a LoI club has had (7 years?) and then seemingly do so much damage to his career in a 1st league winning season as manager, year after where it seemed like it was a European$$$ fail that turned the owners (bar the short return). Ive heard plenty of people allude to issues but little of substances. From OTB I find him opinionated and damn forthright in giving it, I can see why it puts people off but spoofer? Like Trevor Croly isnt a spoofer, he just seemed to be a better coach/assistant than a manager. I can see how VP made a mess of transitioning from being a players buddy, the go between with manager and players, and then try to assert himself with the players as the manager and it not going down well. Theres the whole why SK didnt take him on for the Ireland job, but its a tad 2+2=5 stuff. Players have a responsibility in any relationship with coaches also. For sure there are alarm bells when clubs doint appoint what on paper looks a strong candidate and brings up questions on what is it that we dont know. Collins, Connor and I'm sure others got a number of chances and are classed as spoofers so why the wide berth for perth?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    What is the story there? Yes there was talk of fallings out with players but that happens, he was involved with those players as an assistant, he won the league as a head coach in his own right, his time as manager at Dundalk there was a whole heap of sh1te happening that wouldnt have had much to do with him - what stories if any have done the rounds of club boardrooms that seem to have him overlooked. Of course his own demands might rule him out or he isnt putting himself forward but if he is youd think a club would have given him an opportunity by now, even in IL?

Oh and congrats to Keith Long, he may have stagnated at Bohs but I liked him when he was playing at Dundalk and isnt a headbanger of a coach, isnt a seriel complainer so could be the sort of stable influence that Waterford need!

He talks about himself in the third person.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    He talks about himself in the third person.
    It would appear that much of the issue is irritating eccentricity rather than football coaching activity.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    It would appear that much of the issue is irritating eccentricity rather than football coaching activity.
    Maybe? He never came across very well to me in interviews but I never think opposition managers come across well of course. Kenny possibly would have brought him along to help with the national side if he really believed in him. You were definitely a weaker side with Perth calling the shots although as you've said there were loads of factors.

But that's all complete armchair nonsense. You'd think he'd have at least enough of a resume to be attractive to a First Division side. Wage demands at odds with the level of club interested in giving him a shot? Maybe he's like Doolin and goes into apoplectic rage if he has to drive more than 20 minutes to get to training.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Maybe? He never came across very well to me in interviews but I never think opposition managers come across well of course. Kenny possibly would have brought him along to help with the national side if he really believed in him. You were definitely a weaker side with Perth calling the shots although as you've said there were loads of factors.

But that's all complete armchair nonsense. You'd think he'd have at least enough of a resume to be attractive to a First Division side. Wage demands at odds with the level of club interested in giving him a shot? Maybe he's like Doolin and goes into apoplectic rage if he has to drive more than 20 minutes to get to training.

Thats it in a nutshell, what is the underlying issue, lesser coaches have been given a chance at least by some 1st Div club. Time to bring back Monaghan United, the rehab centre for managers who need a reputation restored..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Never met the man in my life but when you consider he worked with Kenny for years and the problems Kenny has had with his backroom the fact taht Kenny has never drafted him in says a lot. I'd say it's that alone that is stopping him getting a job. He's effectively failed a five year long interview

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Never met the man in my life but when you consider he worked with Kenny for years and the problems Kenny has had with his backroom the fact taht Kenny has never drafted him in says a lot. I'd say it's that alone that is stopping him getting a job. He's effectively failed a five year long interview
    Im not trying to stick up for Perth... but that is bull. Kenny has clearly drafted from ex internationals and from established prem coaches for any one that has contact with players. Perth would never be given a role with Kenny in the international team.

Im guessing Perth is probably too abrasive and unlikeable for clubs to go after for a managerial spot. Maybe he needs to go back to being an assistant now, or pick up a role in someones academy if he wanted to stay in LOI football. Otherwise maybe a position up north. Would UCD take him if Myler leaves? He probably should have went for Longford or Harps (would have been way better than Rogers for sure).

He seems to be a decent hardworking person in real life, and put a huge amount into Dundalk. Its a pity there arent many places to rebound to for managers in LOI.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Im not trying to stick up for Perth... but that is bull. Kenny has clearly drafted from ex internationals and from established prem coaches for any one that has contact with players. Perth would never be given a role with Kenny in the international team.

Im guessing Perth is probably too abrasive and unlikeable for clubs to go after for a managerial spot. Maybe he needs to go back to being an assistant now, or pick up a role in someones academy if he wanted to stay in LOI football. Otherwise maybe a position up north. Would UCD take him if Myler leaves? He probably should have went for Longford or Harps (would have been way better than Rogers for sure).

He seems to be a decent hardworking person in real life, and put a huge amount into Dundalk. Its a pity there arent many places to rebound to for managers in LOI.
    When VP was no 2 with us with Aaron Callaghan in 08 and then took over as caretaker after AC left he didnt exactly pull any trees with us at all.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

Higgins was though. Maybe not in contact with players but the point sbgawa is making is that Kenny never brought Perth onboard in any position at all. I always found that odd as well given the success they had at Dundalk.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Alan Reynolds going to Waterford as #2.
    Surprising move, as he seemed fairly happy at Derry. Moving home and all that, so fair enough though.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Vinny Perth is still available…….
    He said target though

On a serious note, I don’t think Clancy is in trouble yet. The result against Rovers has probably lifted some pressure, and a win against UCD and suddenly things are looking up. Pats are traditionally quite patient with managers too. Mind you, don’t beat UCD and the murmurings will start.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

How do you know he didn't apply for Harps?

Quite happy with Rogers over him tbh.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Alan Reynolds going to Waterford as #2.
    Surprising move, as he seemed fairly happy at Derry. Moving home and all that, so fair enough though.
    It isn’t too surprising, he never wanted to leave last time round in the first place. He wanted change and didn’t want a certain individual calling the shots anymore. Unfortunately he felt the only option he had was to leave. A lot has changed off the pitch from when he was lasted involved though, the problem maker and previously one of the main decision makers now has a hugely demoted role and by all accounts has little say in what goes on. There’s been full time staff hired with two more full time positions being advertised. Says a lot about how the running of the club has changed for the better as Rennie wouldn’t come back otherwise. If we’re being honest he obviously believes himself and Long will succeed. But even if they don’t, Rennie would be picked up by another club. It’s a no lose situation imo. Especially as he gets to move home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    It would be very LoI if VP was now appointed to the vacant assistant position at Derry. Its obviously not going to happen, but the fun it would be!! with former Dundalk players there that escaped from his wicked ways and working under Higgins - it would sell as a top end TV drama, creating all that free publicity that only Bohs crave and would understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

How is it bull? Higgins CV was hardly better than Perths but Kenny took him in. I've no axe to grind but i do believe taht if Perth was capable of stepping up Kenny would have taken him..
    And he didnt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Could have been to do with the specific role of opposition analyst that Higgins was poached for, maybe not a strong point for VP or a role he wanted, SK may have recognised that he could be vulnerable to public opinion due to poor result nature of rebuilding a whole ethos of the Irish game and and wanted some ex-internationals of calibre to shore up things. It goes back to the original point though, people have plenty to say about VP but scratch the surface and there is little substance (that we know of) that is beyond personal opinion - like 'he refers to himself in the third person', I know OTH was probably being flippant but its not miles off the type of things Ive heard regularly enough when writing the mans coaching career off . I'm not trying to champion Perth, but I think if he is being vilified as a coach/manager then its is fair to ask where peoples opinion originated. Its possible that people know what the issues are and are reluctant to publicly reveal them and if so well fair enough, but if its chinese whispers then its a real disservice. In the absence of info its not particularly fair to just join the dots like SK didnt take him with him so there must be an issue - if there was an issue why did SK keep him as assistant for so long at Dundalk. He was convinved to give up his main job by SK to go full time in football and do his badges

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I knew VP a little when he was at Longford as a player mainly but also as a coach. He was always a very decent fella and he loved football. Never heard him refer to himself in the third person but he had strong ideas about how players should be and how football should be played. Wouldn't surprise me if he was a bit too old school for some players. Great attitude as a player though, maximised every bit of his talent.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Reynolds a big loss to Derry but leaves with all our well wishes and thanks, fantastic fella.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    It would be very LoI if VP was now appointed to the vacant assistant position at Derry. Its obviously not going to happen, but the fun it would be!!
    Ironically, it is about to happen

Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast