Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1779

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Willie O'Connor taking over is not good news at UCD. A complete long ball merchant, which of course serves you well in the 1st Division. UCD have a simple model. Make sure either the Leinster Schools or Irish Schools manager is on the ticket at The Bowl, and they can work on targeted players in the Schools set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Dave Rogers gone from Harps,a total disaster of an appointment in the end…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I said it ages ago, he's a clown.

"Family and personal reasons" were the reason for his departure but I'd take it with a pinch of salt, he spouted a similar line about his family being abused online one weekend as an excuse for deleting his account in the aftermath of a defeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Wonder did Harps have to pay him much?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I really, really hope not. The board wouldn't have had a great bargaining position, he was a manager bad enough to kill a club if he ran for a few seasons, but a payoff would be very unfortunate. No word on whether his full time assistant is staying or going yet.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    I really, really hope not. The board wouldn't have had a great bargaining position, he was a manager bad enough to kill a club if he ran for a few seasons, but a payoff would be very unfortunate. No word on whether his full time assistant is staying or going yet.
    who was DRs FT asst Clariseach? I wont be surprised myself if Stephen Henderson walks the plank after last nights shambolic performance. Alls not well in the camp plus he got crap support from club between Kerry FCS press release and lack of a statement from my club. In the end SH had to issue a personal statement as there was no sign of an official release from the town board. Dont blame him tbh
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    who was DRs FT asst Clariseach? I wont be surprised myself if Stephen Henderson walks the plank after last nights shambolic performance. Alls not well in the camp plus he got crap support from club between Kerry FCS press release and lack of a statement from my club. In the end SH had to issue a personal statement as there was no sign of an official release from the town board. Dont blame him tbh

Former Linfield player and Dungannon Swifts manager Darren Murphy.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Did I see something about him lamenting the players for being late? Might have dreamt it.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Did I see something about him lamenting the players for being late? Might have dreamt it.
    No you are dead right Between the Stripes had a post on twitter stating that! Im not a member so cant access it!

heres the link Shearer https://twitter.com/betweenstripes/s...04811431461156
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Wonder did Harps have to pay him much?
    i dont think he is the tyoe to walk away empty handed, I doubt his postmans job is still there and its hard to see much of a future in football management whatever about some coaching. Maybe the club had some way out of that long term contract which would then make some sense in a very odd setup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    This fella's nice guy shtick seemed to pull the wool over a lot of people's eyes, masking what a complete and utter spoofer he is. I'd like to think from Harps' point of view they managed to get out of it all without much/any payoff to him, although they probably deserve some sort of punishment for hiring him on a 4 year contract in the first place.

I'd also hope from a Harps standpoint that there's plenty of get out clauses in the multi-year contracts he was handing out to some truly brutal footballers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    This fella's nice guy shtick seemed to pull the wool over a lot of people's eyes, masking what a complete and utter spoofer he is. I'd like to think from Harps' point of view they managed to get out of it all without much/any payoff to him, although they probably deserve some sort of punishment for hiring him on a 4 year contract in the first place.

I'd also hope from a Harps standpoint that there's plenty of get out clauses in the multi-year contracts he was handing out to some truly brutal footballers.
    Dave Rogers was liking a lot of random Bohs fans posts on twitter last year, including my brother's, when we had a vacancy. As a character, it's all very funny until he's managing your side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    There's defintely a joke in here somewhere about him being caught with his pants down and / or making an arse of himself.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Roddy would have been a better fit anf im serious!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    Darren Murphy confirmed as interim manager at Harps until the end of the season, assisted by Tommy Canning (formerly coach under Ollie Horgan and last a spell as Dergview manager) and Kevin McHugh.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Richie Holland appointed Cork manager for the rest of the season,Liam Buckley back to being DOF only,a very strange setup down there…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Its a real bugbear of mine the standard of managers in this country, prem more than first, teams just give the job to the next warm body standing around when their is a vacancy instead of actually looking for someone capable.

Cork
    Pats
    Sligo
    Drogheda
    UCD?

Just handed over to whomever is standing there, Doherty is the only one I'd consider a success & his job was to build on a good job done by Clancy before, also he was the only one with previous experience at another club

Also

Derry & Rovers gave their jobs to total novices at the time which given their resources seemed a bit risky, I will concede that at least Higgins was targetted & Rovers were trying someone young after the previous appointment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    Its a real bugbear of mine the standard of managers in this country, prem more than first, teams just give the job to the next warm body standing around when their is a vacancy instead of actually looking for someone capable.

Cork
    Pats
    Sligo
    Drogheda
    UCD?

Just handed over to whomever is standing there, Doherty is the only one I'd consider a success & his job was to build on a good job done by Clancy before, also he was the only one with previous experience at another club

Also

Derry & Rovers gave their jobs to total novices at the time which given their resources seemed a bit risky, I will concede that at least Higgins was targetted & Rovers were trying someone young after the previous appointment
    Rovers we’re relatively ‘skint’ when they appointed Bradley - which makes his achievements all the more impressive

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    In fairness, the UCD model in the past while has been an assistant coming in and learning the ropes with a view to taking over. Paul Doolin was a coach under Martin Moran (I think Theo was still assistant at the time technically), Pete Mahon's assistant was Martin Russell, Martin Russell's assistant was Aaron Callaghan, Aaron Callaghan's assistant was Collie O'Neill, and now Andy Myler's assistant is Willie O'Connor. So looking for a capable assistant is looking for a capable future manager. Has worked reasonably well for us down the years I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I wasn't sure with Myler hence the question mark there

And regards Higgins & Bradley in isolation I see the point of their appointment in their clubs situation, but it adds the overall no of inexperienced managers in the league.

Declan Devine who I wouldn't have been a particular fan of from his work in Derry feels like an above average manager now because he knows what he is doing as opposed to learning on the fly.