Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1779

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I know McDonnell was talking about the vocal responses he got to his tweet on the story he posted but I don't think it's indicative of the whole fan base. I'd say it's fairly split on Daly at the moment as he's gotten some good results and has us trying to play better football, but the first couple of performances weren't too convincing and he obviously still has the Clancy link to him. Don't think he's doing his chances any harm at the minute though if he keeps getting results while we're offering the job to fellas that don't want it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's surely a world of a difference between Kenna and Lennon? Kenna was in his first job and Lennon has 10+ years' experience at a much higher level, doing reasonably well too.

Can't see how Pat's could have afforded him though
    Kenna had a season at Galway didn't he? Not that it takes away from your point at all, there's hundreds of games managed in the difference so not the fairest comparison.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Kenna had a season at Galway didn't he? Not that it takes away from your point at all, there's hundreds of games managed in the difference so not the fairest comparison.
    correct Jack B
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    There's surely a world of a difference between Kenna and Lennon? Kenna was in his first job and Lennon has 10+ years' experience at a much higher level, doing reasonably well too.

Can't see how Pat's could have afforded him though
    I did acknowledge that. Lennon obviously far more experience as a manager, and won titles with Celtic. So yeah, maybe not the fairest comparison. It was more the high profile ex international angle I was referring to. Lennon clearly thinks he’s above the league here ( and maybe he is) so I’d say all round we’re best out of it.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    according to media reports he is in genuine contention for the Olympiacos job. There would still look to be a considerable gulf between any LOI club and the clubs that Neil can still attract interest from. Seems a but over ambitious from St Pat’s although no harm in asking I suppose.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I know McDonnell was talking about the vocal responses he got to his tweet on the story he posted but I don't think it's indicative of the whole fan base. I'd say it's fairly split on Daly at the moment as he's gotten some good results and has us trying to play better football, but the first couple of performances weren't too convincing and he obviously still has the Clancy link to him. Don't think he's doing his chances any harm at the minute though if he keeps getting results while we're offering the job to fellas that don't want it.
    In fairness to Daly it's hard to change things straight away and he got a couple of wins in the first two . I think he's starting to show that he's got his own ideas and is'nt just a Clancy clone . I like that he makes changes quickly when things are'nt working in matches , which is something Clancy never seemed to do.

If we get a good performance and result against Dundalk to back up the result at Tolka i'd be happy to see him get the rest of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...495849668.html

Fleetwood bid for Ryan Graydon and rejected by Derry…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Daly confirmed as Pats Boss

https://www.the42.ie/jon-daly-st-pat...74222-May2023/

He has done well in his games in charge so can see the logic behind it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    In fairness to Daly it's hard to change things straight away and he got a couple of wins in the first two . I think he's starting to show that he's got his own ideas and is'nt just a Clancy clone . I like that he makes changes quickly when things are'nt working in matches , which is something Clancy never seemed to do.

If we get a good performance and result against Dundalk to back up the result at Tolka i'd be happy to see him get the rest of the season.
    I agree with you, was just saying that was the general outlook of some of the fan base.

For what it's worth I'm content enough that he's gotten the job. I don't think any of the other names going around were particularly strong candidates and he's had an encouraging albeit small sample size of results.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...495849668.html

Fleetwood bid for Ryan Graydon and rejected by Derry…
    It'll be interesting to see if the cash flows in this summer like it did the last two transfer windows. Obviously Derry don't have to go accepting the first offer, but if the LoI could get a million in transfer fees per year, it'd be a bit of a game changer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps confirm the signings of Patrick Ferry from Ballinamallard and Stephen Doherty from Dergview.

Both Donegal lads. Doherty came all the way through Harps academy and is a very welcome returnee, and Ferry also spent time in Harps academy before joining Derry and on to Ballinamallard and provides another attacking option.

Doherty can play from 1st June and Ferry from 1st July.
    Why can Doherty play from June? I'd have thought both would have been July when the window opens.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Why can Doherty play from June? I'd have thought both would have been July when the window opens.
    I'm not entirely certain of it now.

Was initially told he can play from June as he's coming from amateur football, as opposed to out of contract pros from July.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    according to media reports he is in genuine contention for the Olympiacos job. There would still look to be a considerable gulf between any LOI club and the clubs that Neil can still attract interest from. Seems a but over ambitious from St Pat’s although no harm in asking I suppose.
    Little off topic, but if there is any National League that is on a downward curve, its the Greek league. Normally they were ranked in around the tenth spot a few years ago in European Country coefficients, but now have fallen to around the 20. They scored less than Ireland this year. Big clubs there, but big problems too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Little off topic, but if there is any National League that is on a downward curve, its the Greek league. Normally they were ranked in around the tenth spot a few years ago in European Country coefficients, but now have fallen to around the 20. They scored less than Ireland this year. Big clubs there, but big problems too.
    This is true but I think it's also true that Olympiacos is a bigger job than St Pat's!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'm not entirely certain of it now.

Was initially told he can play from June as he's coming from amateur football, as opposed to out of contract pros from July.
    I think they have to be a completely free agent (i.e. not have been registered anywhere) to join outside of the window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I think they have to be a completely free agent (i.e. not have been registered anywhere) to join outside of the window.

I think the rule is that the player has to have been out of contract before the closing of our last transfer window......so in our case that was end of Feb ish

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    They scored less than Ireland this year. Big clubs there, but big problems too.
    They did start a round later in each case in fairness; that's a big difference. Olympiakos also got into the Europa League groups, which is a harder group than the Conference League. The rankings are going to be a bit wonky around where we're getting to - when you get so high you start in round 2, you end up missing out on coefficient points and then dropping backwards again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    They did start a round later in each case in fairness; that's a big difference. Olympiakos also got into the Europa League groups, which is a harder group than the Conference League. The rankings are going to be a bit wonky around where we're getting to - when you get so high you start in round 2, you end up missing out on coefficient points and then dropping backwards again
    Its a league that normally would have a team or two go that go a few rounds past the group stages, but this year finished with just above half of what Ireland got. Its a league that would normally stradle in the upper middle tier of European football - far above our teams struggling in the qualifiers. I dont know why you would have to make this weird point as surly it would only make sense for a league like ours, not a league with massive teams expecting to reach multiple knockout rounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    What's a weird point? You said they scored less than Ireland, which is true - but it's very relevant that all their teams skipped a round and didn't get points for that round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    What's a weird point? You said they scored less than Ireland, which is true - but it's very relevant that all their teams skipped a round and didn't get points for that round.
    The year before Paok got to the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

Missing out on one qualifying round should not be expected to affect a league of this stature so much.

anyway, the original point was just about how Greek football is struggling at the moment. Nothing more or less.

Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast