Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Sligo is in an interesting place this offseason.

There seems to be an emergence of a 'Top 4', with them being cut well adrift. At this stage, I would be surprised if that gap was closed by next year as those teams have solid cores and are looking to expand and improve with bigger budgets (St. Pats might change depending on the cup final).

However, they have possibly one of the best players and top goalscorers in the league in Keena. Dan McDonnell has said that Rovers and Derry are interested in breaking the leagues' transfer record to get him - plus there probably will be interest across the water for him. They probably are the best place team at the moment to catch the top 4, considering the bit of a mess at Bohs, and the anti-football at Shels (who might be in Europe next year though), both are far behind in my opinion.

So do they look to win now since they have a really important piece to get back into Europe and push the boat out looking for new players to surround Keena with some quality (but possibly lose him to an English club triggering his release clause) by increasing their playing budget to be more competive with the top 4, or do they be more conservative with it, play it safe with there budget and possibly cash-in with Keena? In what might be a very compeitive league, that might also flirt with relegation too if they go down that route.

I would say, only by keeping Keena would Sligo have a chance of getting into Europe through the league, which is worth 250k. That should be the calculation of what the fee for Keena should be based on for them.

I'm interested in what the Sligo fans think of Russell as thier manager. I can't say I was impressed with them on Friday vs Bohs (A nothing game for them). To me they seemed like a team that relied on the brilliance of Keena to have any chance of actually scoring while also being a bit suspect at the back. I'd have some questions about their fitness as well. These were all warning signs toward the end of Longs reign and if as you say Derry and Shams are opening the coffers to pry Keena away it could be a ropey season for Sligo next year if they don't get the replacements right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    The league is being rinsed of its top young talent again and the season is only a few days over. Jamie Mullins to Brighton, Aidemo Emaku tbc, I hear Tommy Lonergan wanted by several teams, Dylan Duffy to Lincoln.

It's really great to see the league providing the platform for the top young players to get the moves, but IMHO the quality of the league is in serious decline, outside of a handful of teams, everyone is in reverse in terms of quality of players, and the 1st Division is getting worse each season and won't get any better any time soon.
    Jesus, nearly every u-23 player is getting snapped up. Some talent drain.

I wonder what kind of deals these players are getting and how much they are earning compared to LOI offers?

There is still this mentality of getting over to England as soon as possible, whether its the best option for the player or not. A lot of these lads would be better off staying a year or two longer and getting 30+ more senior games.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Reality is that unless they are going to Prem (super rare) or Championhsip (rare) then the deals in League 1 and 2 are about what they might get at Rovers or Derry. But why wouldn't they go for even less, the dream is to make it as a footballer, and with the exception of a proportion of the UCD team, many arent in college, and sure you can always do college anither time if you want to. I dint know what the stats are on percentages of LOI transfers to EFL getting a second contract and/or playing a meaningful amount of games, a stato job there for someone to pursue Also, there has been a real acceleration in the last 3 or 4 years, so will probably take another year or two for these to filter thru compared to prior generations where there wasn't anything like the level of activity (pre Brexit if course when the best kids moved at 16 and lots never played LOI, or never olayed EFL for that matter, just got spat out by the system)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Brexit turned out to be the best thing to ever happen to irish football. We don't have dozens of 15 and sixteen year old kids going over every year with no chance of making it anymore.
    The UK clubs have to wait until they are 18 and have to offer them decent terms now not 100 a week apprentice terms.
    The extra investment needed means only the best are going now .
    The Irish under 16s won z tournament last week against Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland....all loi players bar 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    I'm interested in what the Sligo fans think of Russell as thier manager. I can't say I was impressed with them on Friday vs Bohs (A nothing game for them). To me they seemed like a team that relied on the brilliance of Keena to have any chance of actually scoring while also being a bit suspect at the back. I'd have some questions about their fitness as well. These were all warning signs toward the end of Longs reign and if as you say Derry and Shams are opening the coffers to pry Keena away it could be a ropey season for Sligo next year if they don't get the replacements right.
    We were missing loads on Friday so probably a bad example and as you said meant nothing but in general there hasn’t been a huge difference pre and post Buckley. Having said that he got us through 2 rounds in Europe. Keena will be gone to the UK you’d imagine and Russell will get a chance to bring in his own players and see how he gets on. Certainly disagree that the top 4 this year are pulling away. Things change so much in this league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    We were missing loads on Friday so probably a bad example and as you said meant nothing but in general there hasn’t been a huge difference pre and post Buckley. Having said that he got us through 2 rounds in Europe. Keena will be gone to the UK you’d imagine and Russell will get a chance to bring in his own players and see how he gets on. Certainly disagree that the top 4 this year are pulling away. Things change so much in this league.
    Cheers for the reply. Yeah it was always going to be hard for me to judge on a nothing game especially when your keeper was 17 or 18 and the same for your right back(at least I think it was your right back).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    https://finnharps.ie/ollie-horgan-departs-finn-harps/

Ollie Horgan departs Harps,end of an era for us….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    https://finnharps.ie/ollie-horgan-departs-finn-harps/

Ollie Horgan departs Harps,end of an era for us….
    A sad day for harps but the era had to end after this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    should have been pushed out the door in june.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    should have been pushed out the door in june.
    Definitely still a mixed reaction today,I thought his time was up but plenty would have taken him back….

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Definitely still a mixed reaction today,I thought his time was up but plenty would have taken him back….
    you'd think he'd be glad of the rest himself at this stage , can't have been easy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    you'd think he'd be glad of the rest himself at this stage , can't have been easy
    It’s been a tough couple of months for Ollie,he lost his mum in August which is hard for anyone,I think a break will do him good ,he put his heart and soul into it ,no one can doubt that……

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    It’s been a tough couple of months for Ollie,he lost his mum in August which is hard for anyone,I think a break will do him good ,he put his heart and soul into it ,no one can doubt that……
    Do you reckon he will be out of loi footie long Joey B? Somehow I cant see it happening!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Do you reckon he will be out of loi footie long Joey B? Somehow I cant see it happening!
    Who knows tbh,I'm sure he'll want to get back in eventually,he has a full time job so he'll be kept busy im sure....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Next stop..Galway…You heard it here first folks!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    It really is the silly season, folks - Jimmy wasn't winning matches in Beijing, so Ballybofey's unlikely to be much different!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Genuinely don’t think there’s much in it,seems to be putting 2+2 together and getting 5….

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    It would be great PR for harps locally no? That's not to say he should get the job if he hasn't got the skills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    It would be great PR for harps locally no? That's not to say he should get the job if he hasn't got the skills
    I’m sure it would popular in some places but I don’t think it would be that popular among Harps fans from what I’ve seen,who knows though ,definitely needed freshening up in the football side of the club in my view…..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Genuinely don’t think there’s much in it,seems to be putting 2+2 together and getting 5….
    Agreed. He was rumoured for the Derry job too sure.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast