Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    Duffer at the league launch saying the going rate for a senior pro in top half of Prem is 1200-1400, would that be correct? Seems higher than I'd have expected but hard to know with these things
    Possibly in top two or three, but I'd highly doubt beyond that.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I wouldn’t take much heed of what he says. He’s also quoted as saying his side were the most improved over the course of last season from game 1 (3-0 loss to pats) to game 36 (4-0 loss to pats), while winning 2 of their final 15 league and cup games against premier opposition, compared to 5 wins in their first 15. Little old Damien wouldn't be fond of letting the truth get in the way of a good spoof

They are all capable of being loose with the truth, it was just strange to hear someone throw out actual numbers. The average league 2 salary is around £1500 with some much higher so Duffer's numbers do seem somewhat feasible

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    They are all capable of being loose with the truth, it was just strange to hear someone throw out actual numbers. The average league 2 salary is around £1500 with some much higher so Duffer's numbers do seem somewhat feasible
    League Two wages are higher than most LOI wages. I recently listened to a podcast which Jack Byrne was on and during it he stated that 1k a week would be considered ‘a good wage’ for an experienced LOI player at one of the top 2 or 3 clubs. Obviously the very top players in the league like himself would actually be on a bit more than that again but to say that 1200 to 1400 a week is the going rate for the top 5 clubs is way wide of the mark
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    As Nigel says top 3 at best
    Id say that is probably what he meant ...as in the cost of players who would make a difference for him as opposed to the ones he can now afford.
    There isnt a chance the average senior pro is on 1200+ per week.
    Even a cursory glance at the accounts of any club would say that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    As Nigel says top 3 at best
    Id say that is probably what he meant ...as in the cost of players who would make a difference for him as opposed to the ones he can now afford.
    There isnt a chance the average senior pro is on 1200+ per week.
    Even a cursory glance at the accounts of any club would say that

What a team can afford & what they will spend is very rarely the same thing

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    What a team can afford & what they will spend is very rarely the same thing
    Sure but this is clearly a case of Duff trying to temper expectations for the upcoming season. Shels probably have fans and possibly board members or other stakeholders who think they should qualify for Europe this season but I think that's probably unrealistic considering they haven't improved their attacking options (that I can see) and didn't exactly score freely last year. Plenty of managers do it, but Duff seems to be exaggerating wages to drive home the point.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    He would be about right for some players I would think. Adam O’Reilly was offered £1100 a week by a club in Scotland and all of our clubs looking for him were able to beat that. He is only one example and would possibly be at higher end of pay scale (although definitely not the highest) but with the competition for his signature you can assume he is probably on a decent bit more than this particular Scottish offer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    How do you define attackers? I'd always include wingers as attacking options myself. I think the squad is only lacking in defenders currently. From the preseason games I've seen we'll play 3 up front with a decent amount of options from McDaid, Connolly, Twardek, Coote, Williams, Afolabi, Akintinde & Okosun. Could argue we need another out and out striker but there is a need for them all through the league.

Also they have at least 4 defenders in Kirk, Burke, Horton and Byrne
    As I said it was from a list on twitter which would not copy. Yes wingers are an attacking option but mostly used to feed attacker who does the scoring. High scoring wingers don't normally exist.
    Do you really think a squad of 19 will be enough? I don't think so, and if one of the front 3 gets injured do you play 2 up top or just fill the gap with a someone who is not a natural attacker. By the way I wasn't criticing the quality it was purely the strength in depth from a small squad. I still believe Bohs need 4 more proven players to complete the squad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Some of the disparity in figures may be from gross v net. Club cares about overall cost, player cares about what they get in their hand. That said even with that some of the quoted figures seem very high.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    As I said it was from a list on twitter which would not copy. Yes wingers are an attacking option but mostly used to feed attacker who does the scoring. High scoring wingers don't normally exist.
    Do you really think a squad of 19 will be enough? I don't think so, and if one of the front 3 gets injured do you play 2 up top or just fill the gap with a someone who is not a natural attacker. By the way I wasn't criticing the quality it was purely the strength in depth from a small squad. I still believe Bohs need 4 more proven players to complete the squad.
    So I think Bohs need to add at least 2 experienced defenders. Strikers, midfielders, attackers and wingers I think they are covered well. Just as a striker option there is Afolabi, Williams and Okosun. Sure they are all a bit unknown to a degree but they all offer something different. I actually think if Okosun gets a run he could be the best of the lot. If worst came to worst and all 3 of them were injured/unavailable Akintunde or McDaid would be deployed there. First front 3 of the season I expect to be Akintunde, Afolabi and Connolly. That would leave McDaid, Williams, Coote and Okosun on the bench and doesn't include Twardek who I expect to be the starting RB. Midfield is a similar story. Probably looking at Bucko, McManus & Clarke starting with McDonnell and Flores on the bench with Coote being able to play there in case of injury.

19 players isn't enough but 23 is too many imo. As it stands there are already good LOI players not going to make the match day squad for Bohs and they need to sign more defenders. Too many players not getting a game and you risk one of them upsetting the apple cart and throwing toys out of the pram.

PS. Didn't think it was a criticism just didn't think you realised the depth in every area for Bohs excluding defence. Which is fair some players were kept on and not announced other were let go and not announced so unless you went to preseason games you wouldn't know who's there and who's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    So I think Bohs need to add at least 2 experienced defenders. Strikers, midfielders, attackers and wingers I think they are covered well. Just as a striker option there is Afolabi, Williams and Okosun. Sure they are all a bit unknown to a degree but they all offer something different. I actually think if Okosun gets a run he could be the best of the lot. If worst came to worst and all 3 of them were injured/unavailable Akintunde or McDaid would be deployed there. First front 3 of the season I expect to be Akintunde, Afolabi and Connolly. That would leave McDaid, Williams, Coote and Okosun on the bench and doesn't include Twardek who I expect to be the starting RB. Midfield is a similar story. Probably looking at Bucko, McManus & Clarke starting with McDonnell and Flores on the bench with Coote being able to play there in case of injury.

19 players isn't enough but 23 is too many imo. As it stands there are already good LOI players not going to make the match day squad for Bohs and they need to sign more defenders. Too many players not getting a game and you risk one of them upsetting the apple cart and throwing toys out of the pram.

PS. Didn't think it was a criticism just didn't think you realised the depth in every area for Bohs excluding defence. Which is fair some players were kept on and not announced other were let go and not announced so unless you went to preseason games you wouldn't know who's there and who's not.
    23 isnt a lot imo , in any group of 23 players you would be lucky if you didnt have 3 or 4 at any time carrying knocks that required a rest (not even long term injuries as such) and you have 6 or 7 on the bench so a lot of the time you would have no one missing out on being in the squad.

I think you are under rating Williams btw , he will score plenty of goals for you if he gets a run.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Young lads like Derin Adewale, Jake McCormack, Chris Lotefa and Danny McGrath will probably be in and around the Bohs first team too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    You get 9 subs now no? Plus are able to make 5, definitely makes it more necessary to have a bit of depth if you want to compete for things.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    23 isnt a lot imo , in any group of 23 players you would be lucky if you didnt have 3 or 4 at any time carrying knocks that required a rest (not even long term injuries as such) and you have 6 or 7 on the bench so a lot of the time you would have no one missing out on being in the squad.

I think you are under rating Williams btw , he will score plenty of goals for you if he gets a run.
    23 isn't a lot when you have multiple competitions. Bohs have 2 serious competitions this year in the league and FAI cup. If we get knocked out of the cup early then there's a lot fewer games to go around and as I said there is already the possibility of good LOI players not even making the bench for Bohs. Then even if there are injuries you're still paying the player to be full time even if they can't play so there's a financial reality to the squad size too. If Bohs had 21 senior pros supplemented by 2-3 u19 players coming up if/when needed that would be ideal imo. Especially when you consider not all signings will work out so you may need to release a player in July and try to bring in one or 2 as well. Best not to go all in on your first throw of the dice.

On Williams I actually think he's a great signing and no doubt he will get game time and goals for us. I just think Okosun has the combination of strength and speed that can be lethal in this league. Similar to Omochere for us last year. Only concern is he's 16 so still on the young side to play week in week out.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    You get 9 subs now no? Plus are able to make 5, definitely makes it more necessary to have a bit of depth if you want to compete for things.
    Bohs are at the start of a rebuild IMO. Only thing we will realistically compete for is Europe and I think that's the high end of realistic expectations.

As for the subs I must have trauma from Longs stint as manager. If we made 2 subs in a game it was a miracle. So we could have had 80 on the bench and it wouldn't have mattered

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I didn't realise the depth although some are very young and inexperienced. However if presented with an opportunity its up to them to grasp it and make their name known.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Doesn’t seem to be much news of incoming players for us. A little concerning, although we’ve a strong starting lineup imo. I think the squad is still light on numbers. Definitely would like us to bring in another 2/3 players at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Bohs are at the start of a rebuild IMO. Only thing we will realistically compete for is Europe and I think that's the high end of realistic expectations.

As for the subs I must have trauma from Longs stint as manager. If we made 2 subs in a game it was a miracle. So we could have had 80 on the bench and it wouldn't have mattered
    I just meant generally as opposed to Bohs specifically, obviously there were a few players under contract already that needed shifting the the context is a little different there. In any case I think ideal world is a squad of around 23-ish, which to be fair Bohs would probably be looking at had they a normal number of defenders.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    We make yet another unknown signing in Aaron Walsh who was last with Loughgall. He was with Shels under 17s so thats where Stephen must have come across him first.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    We make yet another unknown signing in Aaron Walsh who was last with Loughgall. He was with Shels under 17s so thats where Stephen must have come across him first.
    Loughgall are winning their league. The standard would be less than LOI D1, and if he wasn't getting on for Loughgall he propably won't be much of an addition.

21. Thanks From:

Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast