Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 46 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I really thought that some defenders would be in by now after Fenlon's arrival. What is it, three weeks he's been in? Thought he might have some Irish League contacts from his time with Linfield. But transfer window came and went... Maybe there are free agents knocking about, but looking more like the kids will have to step up.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    I really thought that some defenders would be in by now after Fenlon's arrival. What is it, three weeks he's been in? Thought he might have some Irish League contacts from his time with Linfield. But transfer window came and went... Maybe there are free agents knocking about, but looking more like the kids will have to step up.
    The window doesn't close here for a few more weeks. Can still makes signings from the UK till then. Will probably be only young lads on loan though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    Irish League window may have closed but LOI clubs can still buy/loan players from the Irish league until February 22nd - Open to correction. Pretty sure that’s when the LOI window closes for in contract players.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Ollie O'Neill to Derry on loan from Fulham. That's an interesting one. Could be very useful if he's ready for mens football. 7 goals, 6 assists in 12 games in the PL2 ain't bad for a winger.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Ollie O'Neill to Derry on loan from Fulham. That's an interesting one. Could be very useful if he's ready for mens football. 7 goals, 6 assists in 12 games in the PL2 ain't bad for a winger.

Anyone else think Derry are doing the classic LOI thing teams with money do & that is having a massively bloated squad? Great to have depth but hard to keep everyone happy, the old Fergie maxim of 2 players per position is long gone with most the top teams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    Anyone else think Derry are doing the classic LOI thing teams with money do & that is having a massively bloated squad? Great to have depth but hard to keep everyone happy, the old Fergie maxim of 2 players per position is long gone with most the top teams
    suppose they are thinking/hoping to get as far as possible in europe, youll need bodies to challenge on both fronts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    suppose they are thinking/hoping to get as far as possible in europe, youll need bodies to challenge on both fronts.
    In isolation yes more players is better but from a squad management point of view it is dangerous because players who aren't playing every week can become disgruntled & unmotivated. Maybe it will work out fine for them but I wonder as a relatively inexperienced manager will it be an extra headache that Higgins doesn't need

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I'd be really excited by the O'Neill signing if I was a Derry man.

As an LOI fan it's exciting too as the standard of prospects which are being sent here are slowly increasing season on season.

In particular I think it makes sense for UK based underage internationals. Playing in the LOI instead of the EPL2 should only help their claim in any Irish squads.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

He seems to have started every game for Cork's U19s last year, until that run abruptly stops in May - presumably suffered an injury then?
    Last edited by culloty82; 07/02/2023 at 8:03 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    In isolation yes more players is better but from a squad management point of view it is dangerous because players who aren't playing every week can become disgruntled & unmotivated. Maybe it will work out fine for them but I wonder as a relatively inexperienced manager will it be an extra headache that Higgins doesn't need
    I make it a squad of 23 they have so far I would consider that a minimum for a team expected to play up to 50 games, challenge for a title and cup/European runs playing on an artificial home pitch
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I make it a squad of 23 they have so far I would consider that a minimum for a team expected to play up to 50 games, challenge for a title and cup/European runs playing on an artificial home pitch

23 Senior pros which leaves you with a few sitting in the stands every week not happy. Rovers have had a got balance with talented young lads at the back end of the squad who won't be as demanding, Kenny never carried that big a squad at Dundalk either, it tended to be a core 17/18. The last squad that probably had this much 'depth' was Caulfield's Cork & while you may not have as many right backs as he did I'd be concerned you similarly won't be able to get the best out of your players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Kian Leavy on loan to Shels from Reading until June..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Don't see any issues for Derry myself. I hope they pop up but they needed wide attackers and defensive midfielders. They missed Duffy badly and looked a bit fragile between midfield and defense until Diallo arrived. Connolly sorts some of that as well.

Lots of creativity but not enough bite to them for parts of last year I thought albeit only from games against us and highlights. O'Reilly gives them more if that and the two wingers will give them options they didn't have last year to backup Duffy. Their ability to challenge just got stronger for me.

Home "turf" would be more concerning than their squad at this point.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Bohs squad on twitter (sorry the link wouldn't copy) 19 players. 2 keepers, 3 defenders, 3 attacker and the rest midfielders and wingers. I think it's light. Very short on defenders and attackers and not long to get it sorted.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Bohs squad on twitter (sorry the link wouldn't copy) 19 players. 2 keepers, 3 defenders, 3 attacker and the rest midfielders and wingers. I think it's light. Very short on defenders and attackers and not long to get it sorted.
    How do you define attackers? I'd always include wingers as attacking options myself. I think the squad is only lacking in defenders currently. From the preseason games I've seen we'll play 3 up front with a decent amount of options from McDaid, Connolly, Twardek, Coote, Williams, Afolabi, Akintinde & Okosun. Could argue we need another out and out striker but there is a need for them all through the league.

Also they have at least 4 defenders in Kirk, Burke, Horton and Byrne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I quite like the balance of Bohs' squad in midfield and attack and think for the most part they should really be expected to put up a good challenge for top 4, but that defence really is an issue. Obviously they're going to be bringing players in but we're at that point in the window where you'd expect for most sides it'll just be loans in from the UK and there's always an element of risk and the unknown with those kind of deals, even more so than others a lot of the time. It's an awkward spot to be in so close to the start of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Duffer at the league launch saying the going rate for a senior pro in top half of Prem is 1200-1400, would that be correct? Seems higher than I'd have expected but hard to know with these things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Duffer at the league launch saying the going rate for a senior pro in top half of Prem is 1200-1400, would that be correct? Seems higher than I'd have expected but hard to know with these things
    are you sure he didn't say top tenth of the Prem?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I wouldn’t take much heed of what he says. He’s also quoted as saying his side were the most improved over the course of last season from game 1 (3-0 loss to pats) to game 36 (4-0 loss to pats), while winning 2 of their final 15 league and cup games against premier opposition, compared to 5 wins in their first 15. Little old Damien wouldn't be fond of letting the truth get in the way of a good spoof
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Page 46 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast