Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Mikey Raggett from Shamrock Rovers to UCD.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Adam O'Reilly to Derry finally confirmed. Preston mention an undisclosed fee being paid too surprisingly, given their manager mentioned last month they’d be happy to let him go, I think a lot of people assumed that meant for free but there you go. Probably not a massive sum either way

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2023/janu...or-derry-city/
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    UCD sign Mikey Ragget from Shamrock Rovers u19. I predicted a bunch of signings from Rovers U19s like last two seasons, that's 2 now so far, probably another couple on the way. Not that i lt matters, but they never stay, they never attend the college, and they all move on as soon as they get an offer elsewhere. Myler so in thrall of Bradley and Rovers, like a lapdog looking for treats and a pat on the head.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Myler brought us up to the Premier division and kept us there last season with a mixture of students and school boys against all odds. If he wants to bring in some new young lads so we can score goals and survive then all power to him. The level of criticism you level at him seems disproportionate. He's doing his job.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    UCD sign Mikey Ragget from Shamrock Rovers u19. I predicted a bunch of signings from Rovers U19s like last two seasons, that's 2 now so far, probably another couple on the way. Not that i lt matters, but they never stay, they never attend the college, and they all move on as soon as they get an offer elsewhere. Myler so in thrall of Bradley and Rovers, like a lapdog looking for treats and a pat on the head.
    How many UCD players nowadays are on scholarships? I'm guessing Keaney and Todd are still on theirs. When I attended UCD back in 00's I recall seemed to be close to 10 on scholarships plus a similar number who studied at UCD anyway with rest either non-student semi-pros or amateurs
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    This is quite personal and nasty TBH and not for the first time. Football the world over relies on relationships and Andy Myler has a good relationship with the Rovers hierarchy. Nothing more than that.

Today's news that Dylan Duffy is off to Lincoln proves that the Rovers players signed by UCD are not exactly the bottom of the barrel and Myler's contacts and relationships are a benefit to UCD.

Bigger questions around UCD's recruitment and players' relationships to the college are different issues and in no way excuse the personal abuse dished out to Andy Myler.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Timi Sobowale joined Floro Fotboll in Norway,apparently had done pre season with us but is off to Norway on a 2 year deal..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Did Myler **** in your garden or something??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    This is quite personal and nasty TBH and not for the first time. Football the world over relies on relationships and Andy Myler has a good relationship with the Rovers hierarchy. Nothing more than that.

Today's news that Dylan Duffy is off to Lincoln proves that the Rovers players signed by UCD are not exactly the bottom of the barrel and Myler's contacts and relationships are a benefit to UCD.

Bigger questions around UCD's recruitment and players' relationships to the college are different issues and in no way excuse the personal abuse dished out to Andy Myler.
    I think the point he is making is that this change of direction is not of great long-term benefit to UCD at all. Since he is not under contract, the fee for Duffy would be quite small- so it certainly doesnt help them this year. Only for a very bad Finn Harps team, and a Waterford team that never showed up, UCD would have been relegated, and look very likely to be this year.

They took a chance on those players last year, and probably put massive efforts into developing and blooding them into professional football, but after the season ends, have little or nothing to build on dispite this. The biggest benefiters of Mylers policy isnt going to be UCD but the teams that get young players with 20+ LOI apperences for near nothing.

I think as a fan, you are entitled to question why your club has changed direction and if it is good. (Obv shouldn't get too personal).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    https://waterfordfc.ie/update-junior-quitirna/

Junior leaving Waterford for a period due to visa issues,Waterford confident he’ll return later in the season….

*He was announced as signed by Fleetwood and went on loan to Altrincham straight away.....
    Last edited by joey B; 31/01/2023 at 5:27 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    I think the point he is making is that this change of direction is not of great long-term benefit to UCD at all. Since he is not under contract, the fee for Duffy would be quite small- so it certainly doesnt help them this year. Only for a very bad Finn Harps team, and a Waterford team that never showed up, UCD would have been relegated, and look very likely to be this year.

They took a chance on those players last year, and probably put massive efforts into developing and blooding them into professional football, but after the season ends, have little or nothing to build on dispite this. The biggest benefiters of Mylers policy isnt going to be UCD but the teams that get young players with 20+ LOI apperences for near nothing.
    In fairness the likes of Georgie Kelly, Gary O'Neill, Liam Scales et al who were in college didn't go for fees either. They were contracted up to the end of their college degrees. The main difference is that with the guys in college, we'd tend to have them for 4/5 years or so (say, sixth class through to final year in college and maybe a post-grad). Now players are leaving after one year and it's a lot harder to build a squad that way.

"Putting massive efforts into developing players" is really just training and isn't any different to anyone else, and the biggest benefitters of UCD in the league was always other clubs and the players themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Drogheda United signing defender Elicha Ahui and striker Freddie Draper on loan from
    Lincoln City.

Waterford signed Christopher Conn-Clarke ,a striker on loan from Fleetwood ..........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Drogheda United signing defender Elicha Ahui and striker Freddie Draper on loan from
    Lincoln City.

Waterford signed Christopher Conn-Clarke ,a striker on loan from Fleetwood ..........
    Conn-Clarke looks to have serious potential. Heard nothing but raving reviews about him, by all accounts he’s had a stormer first half the season in the conference.

Our squad is still quite small rn. Incredibly strong core for the FD and it’s the first season in years where we’ve managed to retain a large chunk of last seasons squad. But the squad is paper thin, if we made no more signings, it’d only take a couple injures to ruin our season. We’ve 18 senior players, one isn’t part of the managers plans so essentially 17. And then there’s 3/4 lads on the U19s panel that’ll be a part of the first team squad also. Personally think we need at least another 3/4 players, especially with us having to let Junior go.

The Junior situation is a huge reflection on the last regime, fellas running around acting all important because they were running a football. In reality they loved the power and idea of running a football club but didn’t have a foookin clue how to run a club. For Juniors sake it’s great the level of professionalism off field has improved ten fold and he has been sorted in the short term. It would have been a shame if the kid had to sit on the sidelines for the next six months. Ourselves and Fleetwood essentially have the same people running both clubs - well key decision makers at Fleetwood being involved with the running of Waterford and not just Pilley’s money has made a major difference compared to the previous two owners.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Ok, thanks for all the replies on my earlier UCD post, as always, good debate here. Apols to those who think it's personal with Myler, it's not and no he didn't to the best of knowledge crap in my garden :-), but the change of direction at the club is the point here, and it's all on his watch. Apologies in advance for long and winding post, I won't post hereafter on UCD Club politics.

As stu has pointed out, we used to have players for a 4 or 5 year cycle all the way thru college until they got their degree and sometimes masters. This policy has been in place for a decade or more. Now, it's all about near term gain, and a questionable agenda. Since Rovers B was canned, we are clearly an outlet for Rovers to send their better young players for experience. Only Rovers benefit from this, UCD never get a meaningful fee, although they often report 'for a small fee'. Rovers are the master beneficiaries under compensation rules and also in terms of the type of agreement being put in place in the signing of these.players in the first place. It's not just Rovers, but they are the ones very much benefitting from this set up the most. In the meantime, progression from UCD17s and 19s has all but dried up to near zero in the last two years (apart from a handful who jump in for last year of u19 from other clubs in order to join the non scholarship paid players cohort and get into 1st team squad). A load of lads that were on scholarship walked out last year having seen enough on multiple fronts, on and off the pitch.

The tried and trusted model has been broken for short term gain. All these non students are being paid (as they should), while those on scholarship are largely not being paid (as was historically mostly the case). The club is largely funded by the college, so taxpayers money is being used to fund a squad with many non students over the last 2 seasons (how do other clubs feel about that i wonder ?). Gate receipt income is ok while in prem division full of Dublin clubs, but that revenue falls off a cliff when they go down, back to 200 per game. So while still in the Premier Division, (and credit to the Manager and Finn Harps for making that happen), when we inevitably land back in the first division, the manager will jump ship to the comfort of his day job claiming work commitments, what will be left behind will be the destruction of a tried and trusted model. Just like all fans, I enjoy the premier division, and the quality of ball, but I'm also a realist, and a believer that you don't break something that has proven itself over a prolonged period of time, proving itself to be the best development club in the land for young senior players brought through the system all the way to 22 or 23. When Rovers played Dundalk in the cup final a few years back, 10 of the starting 22 were ex UCD players, with more on both benches.

I was told by a member of the Sports Council Body in the college that there is huge pressure on Director of Football over why so many non students have been in the team in recent years, and questions raised at the highest levels around scholarship students leaving en masse. So im not the only one who has noticed

Over and out lads, will leave the internal politics at the club off the forum going forward.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Surely it's not up to Myler what long term direction the club goes in? His Job it to manage and he's done a brilliant job for a number of years now.. if you feel the club is making poor decisions in regards to planning that's surely down to whoever is above Myler?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Regrettably it does seem to be up to him, the hierarchy there is an utterly dysfunctional board, and a director of football who has long had little interest in the LOI set up and is more interested in LSL team he runs. Honestly, you've no idea how dysfunctional the whole set up is.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    That's kind of my point. If Myler has been left to run it whatever way he pleases then that's not his fault.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Ok, thanks for all the replies on my earlier UCD post, as always, good debate here. Apols to those who think it's personal with Myler, it's not and no he didn't to the best of knowledge crap in my garden :-), but the change of direction at the club is the point here, and it's all on his watch. Apologies in advance for long and winding post, I won't post hereafter on UCD Club politics.

As stu has pointed out, we used to have players for a 4 or 5 year cycle all the way thru college until they got their degree and sometimes masters. This policy has been in place for a decade or more. Now, it's all about near term gain, and a questionable agenda. Since Rovers B was canned, we are clearly an outlet for Rovers to send their better young players for experience. Only Rovers benefit from this, UCD never get a meaningful fee, although they often report 'for a small fee'. Rovers are the master beneficiaries under compensation rules and also in terms of the type of agreement being put in place in the signing of these.players in the first place. It's not just Rovers, but they are the ones very much benefitting from this set up the most. In the meantime, progression from UCD17s and 19s has all but dried up to near zero in the last two years (apart from a handful who jump in for last year of u19 from other clubs in order to join the non scholarship paid players cohort and get into 1st team squad). A load of lads that were on scholarship walked out last year having seen enough on multiple fronts, on and off the pitch.

The tried and trusted model has been broken for short term gain. All these non students are being paid (as they should), while those on scholarship are largely not being paid (as was historically mostly the case). The club is largely funded by the college, so taxpayers money is being used to fund a squad with many non students over the last 2 seasons (how do other clubs feel about that i wonder ?). Gate receipt income is ok while in prem division full of Dublin clubs, but that revenue falls off a cliff when they go down, back to 200 per game. So while still in the Premier Division, (and credit to the Manager and Finn Harps for making that happen), when we inevitably land back in the first division, the manager will jump ship to the comfort of his day job claiming work commitments, what will be left behind will be the destruction of a tried and trusted model. Just like all fans, I enjoy the premier division, and the quality of ball, but I'm also a realist, and a believer that you don't break something that has proven itself over a prolonged period of time, proving itself to be the best development club in the land for young senior players brought through the system all the way to 22 or 23. When Rovers played Dundalk in the cup final a few years back, 10 of the starting 22 were ex UCD players, with more on both benches.

I was told by a member of the Sports Council Body in the college that there is huge pressure on Director of Football over why so many non students have been in the team in recent years, and questions raised at the highest levels around scholarship students leaving en masse. So im not the only one who has noticed

Over and out lads, will leave the internal politics at the club off the forum going forward.
    Wasn't one of the other talking points, when the minimum wage was announced, about properly implementing domestic development fees?

In theory UCD would be one of the main beneficiaries of that. Would make running a club with the old model more feasible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Conn-Clarke looks to have serious potential. Heard nothing but raving reviews about him, by all accounts he’s had a stormer first half the season in the conference.

Our squad is still quite small rn. Incredibly strong core for the FD and it’s the first season in years where we’ve managed to retain a large chunk of last seasons squad. But the squad is paper thin, if we made no more signings, it’d only take a couple injures to ruin our season. We’ve 18 senior players, one isn’t part of the managers plans so essentially 17. And then there’s 3/4 lads on the U19s panel that’ll be a part of the first team squad also. Personally think we need at least another 3/4 players, especially with us having to let Junior go.

The Junior situation is a huge reflection on the last regime, fellas running around acting all important because they were running a football. In reality they loved the power and idea of running a football club but didn’t have a foookin clue how to run a club. For Juniors sake it’s great the level of professionalism off field has improved ten fold and he has been sorted in the short term. It would have been a shame if the kid had to sit on the sidelines for the next six months. Ourselves and Fleetwood essentially have the same people running both clubs - well key decision makers at Fleetwood being involved with the running of Waterford and not just Pilley’s money has made a major difference compared to the previous two owners.

What is Junior's situation, I don't really remember coming across 'visa issues' before. Junior & Conn-Clarke basically doing a swap so we can get a nice comparison between 2 levels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    What is Junior's situation, I don't really remember coming across 'visa issues' before. Junior & Conn-Clarke basically doing a swap so we can get a nice comparison between 2 levels
    Waterford being careful with their wording, I suspect. He may not be a UK citizen, as some people may have been led to believe, hence "visa issues".
    Have you ever won the treble?

Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast