Forde unsure of Derry future - elevenaside.com

October 1, 2005

Derry City goalkeeper David Forde admits he is not certain to stay at the club for another season.

Former West Ham United trainee Forde has been an exceptional signing for the Candystripes since joining last year.

But having contributed greatly to Derry’s revival in 2005, he has revealed he may not extend his stay at the Brandywell – although he admits the club’s emergence as one of the top sides in the country, and the possibility of European and Setanta Cup football next season, will make his decision a difficult one.

He told the Irish Sun: “I made a serious commitment this season. I was not the only one. A lot of us did, but we did it because we wanted to be successful.

“I don’t know what I’ll do next year, though. I could sign a new contract, with Derry, or there is also the possibility of returning to college.

“But, you know the way things are going it would be tough to leave the club.

“[The Setanta Cup and European football] is something any player would want to be part of, but I’ll just have to sit down at the end of the year and decide what is best.”

Derry moved to the top of the eircom League Premier Division table with victory over Shelbourne on Friday night.