Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Treaty United v Limerick FC Discuss??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Treaty United v Limerick FC Discuss??

While Treaty Uniteds achievements over the last two years have been hugely admirable I for one cannot see a sustainable future for senior football in the city under this identity. Despite Limericks many ups and downs throughout the years and name alterations (city United FC 37) the name Limerick has remained constant until now. There is serious history gone up in smoke (6 times in Europe, twice league winners, twice FAI Cup winners). It's time to lock heads now with Pat O Sullivan or whoever and get this sorted. I know many many people who share my opinion but things had hit such an all time low two years ago there just didn't seem to be the appetite to fight for the name. With Limerick FC and Pat O Sullivan now shelving their LOI ambitions surely this off season is the time to get things sorted.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Looking on as a neutral, it would seem Treaty have made trojan strides over the last two years in terms of building a competitive First Division squad on a shoestring budget, so surely if the aim is to strengthen financial and playing resources, the priority should be for the whole Limerick soccer community to rally behind them, rather than getting tied in knots over names, but if the opportunity comes around to actually buy back the title "Limerick FC", than so be it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    My recollection is POS threatened legal action if they used the Limerick name. At the time I thought they should have fought him as you can't own a coty name but they didn't have the appetite and I can't blame them as they have limited resources and do u want to spend them on legals even if u are almost sure to win in the end. Plus the new directors of treaty who I'm guessing are volunteers would have had their heads distracted by it all.
    That being said maybe now is the time to start the fight.
    Names matter.
    Do the old limerick supporters go to treaty matches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I would think, looking in from afar, that they're doing quite alright. Attendances are okay, cutting their cloth accordingly, and performing well on the pitch. Not sure what adding the name 'Limerick' will do for anyone.

Pat O'Sullivan should be kept miles away from every discussion regarding football in the area.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    My recollection is POS threatened legal action if they used the Limerick name. At the time I thought they should have fought him as you can't own a coty name but they didn't have the appetite and I can't blame them as they have limited resources and do u want to spend them on legals even if u are almost sure to win in the end. Plus the new directors of treaty who I'm guessing are volunteers would have had their heads distracted by it all.
    That being said maybe now is the time to start the fight.
    Names matter.
    Do the old limerick supporters go to treaty matches?
    Surely the name thing is ballax really ? I mean, so far the city has had clubs called :

- Limerick FC (3 separate occasions).
    - Limerick United
    - Limerick City
    - Limerick 37.
    - Treaty United

So just use the name 'Limerick' with something else on the end, and then eventually drop the 'something else' eventually - as has happened repeatedly in the past hoistory of football in the city. It's really not hard ! POS does not own the name 'Limerick'.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    All good points so far. Interesting that there's very little Limerick/Treaty on this forum any more and the club itself haven't a discussion board that I'm aware of so maybe this is a small indication of the current lack of interest in senior soccer in the city. I for one haven't supported Treaty. While I admire how theyve conducted their business I just cannot switch on a passion for a new club like that and I know many more in the same boat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Treaty have only had two full seasons. They performed very well in the first season, having been given the green light very late. This season has been consistent enough with last season.
    Limerick fans are supporting Treaty. Only being able to buy tickets online wasn't a universally popular decision at the beginning of the season. People should be able to buy tickets outside the ground.
    Treaty don't seem to have a lot of resources. They have cut their cloth. Off the field they seem to have gone for conservative stability. It's understandable supporters will want more. The honeymoon period of the first two seasons is over.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Surely the name thing is ballax really ? I mean, so far the city has had clubs called :

- Limerick FC (3 separate occasions).
    - Limerick United
    - Limerick City
    - Limerick 37.
    - Treaty United

So just use the name 'Limerick' with something else on the end, and then eventually drop the 'something else' eventually - as has happened repeatedly in the past hoistory of football in the city. It's really not hard ! POS does not own the name 'Limerick'.
    As far as I remember, Treaty United was initially called Limerick United, not knowing that POS had registered that name. Hence they went for Treaty. Not sure whether POS owns all past names of the club, so they might have to find a 'something else' that POS doesn't own. Limerick Rovers? Limerick Wanderers? Limerick Athletic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Just call them Limerick

I would love to see the court case where Pauds brief argues that he owns the word Limerick

That they didn't want to just plow ahead and call them Limerick showed a lack of money and clout behind it.

A lot of good people involved in Treaty doing their best.

A lot of people involved in Treaty that were up to their necks in Pat O'Sullivan until the bitter end when they discovered he was a bad man. Which was coincidentally the exact same time he'd no more shekels to give them.

Treaty are doing ok.

But there have been no great strides regardless of how people want to dress it.

This is no brave new world, it's pretty similar minus the zany auld fella with the money

And there will be no great strides until the next Paud

They are a million, billion, light years away from premier division football

The women's team needs disbanding

The name is important. For my own part I went to the first couple of games to see were they any good, then I went to Derry, then I went to the first leg against Waterford.

I think there'll be moves to call them Limerick something from next season. Paud is raking in the big bucks from the ukranio war so he's not as fussed about being a nuisance anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Just call them Limerick

I would love to see the court case where Pauds brief argues that he owns the word Limerick

That they didn't want to just plow ahead and call them Limerick showed a lack of money and clout behind it.

A lot of people involved in Treaty that were up to their necks in Pat O'Sullivan until the bitter end when they discovered he was a bad man. Which was coincidentally the exact same time he'd no more shekels to give them.

Treaty are doing ok.

This is no brave new world, it's pretty similar minus the zany auld fella with the money

The name is important. For my own part I went to the first couple of games to see were they any good, then I went to Derry, then I went to the first leg against Waterford.

I think there'll be moves to call them Limerick something from next season. Paud is raking in the big bucks from the ukranio war so he's not as fussed about being a nuisance anymore.
    It is no brave new world. It is conservative. The best Treaty can do to be fair is keep going as they are. Treaty would need an owner from across the water with the nous to move the club forward. Waterford seem to attract investment.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Just call them Limerick

Treaty are doing ok.

More importantly - whilst I'm by no means a legal expert, I suspect any case he took would have to show a) Loss to himself (commercial, reputational) by them using any name he had registered, and b) Financial benefit to the club from doing so. Neither of which would be proven. So what would he be suing them for except a cease and desist ? Agree that they should just use the name and challenge him. Although it wouldn't be the first Limerick name and club squabble to end up in the courts.

Either that or become Limerick Celtic. Or Limerick Treaty.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see the issue here for Limerick fans not supporting Treaty as it's a new club. Was it not the case that Limerick 37 was a new club and then the same with Limerick FC? Just new clubs, was there an issue there that people didn't support the new clubs. Would they have supported Treaty if they were called Limerick Treaty FC?

Treaty seem to be doing alright from where I'm looking and another name change would just look even more ridiculous

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The name has never really bothered me. I'd prefer it to have "Limerick" in it, but it's no dealbreaker. Moreover, I think that if people are coming at the issue from the perspective that having Limerick in the name will increase support, I disagree big time. Support for Limerick's LOI team, whatever their name, has always been dependent, first and foremost, on how well they are doing. If Treaty swept all before them in a promotion campaign they'd get them in. If they change their name to Limerick United/City/Treaty/FC/Golden Gophers and stay as they are, I am far from convinced that they would have anything other than the same numbers.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but this talk of "history" doesn't cut it with me. In my lifetime there's been four different club names, some successors, some not. Like fans in Cork, you just learn to roll with it.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I'd guess most people involved would prefer for the club to taken on the the name Limerick FC and the old crest and all that.

But I don't think there's anything magical about a name change that would turn them into 'sustainable', any more than the Limerick FC/37 were sustainable, with their bankruptcies and name changes.

I think the impact on attendances of them being called Treaty rather than Limerick is being overstated here. At the matches I get to go to, I see the same people I've been seeing for years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but this talk of "history" doesn't cut it with me. In my lifetime there's been four different club names, some successors, some not. Like fans in Cork, you just learn to roll with it.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    Treaty have a conservative approach. There have been so many false dawns for Limerick in the past, maybe it is time for the conservative approach to secure longterm senior football in Limerick?
    Treaty could have done with a home semi-final in the FAI Cup. It would have assisted the club in becoming more established. The opportunity for a high profile home game won't come around too often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Should call themselves AFC Limerick.

That way they'd be top of the table, at least until a game or two is played.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Considering Limerick is known as the Treaty City I think the name should stay altogether. I would know it would go against the likes of fans that want to keep the Limerick FC tradition but Im sure that Treaty have considered all available options?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Treaty United of Limerick.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    maybe it is time for the conservative approach to secure longterm senior football in Limerick?
    What is the conservative approach to secure longterm senior football (in Limerick or elsewhere)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    What is the conservative approach to secure longterm senior football (in Limerick or elsewhere)?
    Treaty's approach appears to me to be conservative off the park. They haven't overstretched the budget and have cut their cloth accordingly.