Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Play-offs 2022.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    FAI making some b)llox of themselves. They were obsessed with playing this game tonight as close to half way between the two clubs as possible, so much so they played it in a ground that was never suitable. Yet next weeks game is in Dublin?

Waterford didn't actually play that well tonight, they'll need to up it for UCD.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    I don't think half-way really came into it - otherwise why play Waterford v UCD in Richmond last year, or UCD v Bray in Dalymount, or even Longford v Galway in the Bowl the year before.

It's just a random neutral venue (for reasons I cannot understand).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Reckon we've got a better chance against Waterford than we would have had against a physical Galway side who would have scored at set pieces against us. Waterford good on the break and in end to end games, but we will sit in and force them to try and break us down. They won't have good memories of Richmond Park last year. Still they are definite favourites in the tie. Myler being back from suspension probably swings it Waterfords way. Hearing its his last game irrespective of result

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    Reckon we've got a better chance against Waterford than we would have had against a physical Galway side who would have scored at set pieces against us. Waterford good on the break and in end to end games, but we will sit in and force them to try and break us down. They won't have good memories of Richmond Park last year. Still they are definite favourites in the tie. Myler being back from suspension probably swings it Waterfords way. Hearing its his last game irrespective of result
    Is there many of the current crop finishing up next year in the UCD squad Bowler?
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Galway gifted the first two goals to a Waterford outfit well below their best and on another night could have scored 3/4 themselves ...Waterford will improve for UCD.Absolute shambles the organisation for this game,too many in a stand not fit for purpose,not enough stewards to police this game.Caulfield took fair amount of abuse on the way down tunnel.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I watched most of the game last night, and have to say Galway were utter gash. Waterford looked like a team wanting to at least get the ball down and play, with some structure. Galways efforts could be soundtracked by horslips an dearg doom "We'll put em under pressure"..
    It's a shame as Galway is a far nicer destination for an away trip (and Rovers fans mix with Galway fans without issue) than Waterford, but JC's style of football is from a different era, behind the game in the Premier division now.
    I don't think Waterford will have it easy against UCD-theres a reason the students are in the Premier division, as they play good football and even without
    their 2 best players can be a danger to teams.
    It's a shame about galway tho, a few pints on the way, into one of the great boozers there for a few, onto the game, and back home again. Hopefully they can get rid of what's holding them back and get up to the top division again soon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I watched most of the game last night, and have to say Galway were utter gash. Waterford looked like a team wanting to at least get the ball down and play, with some structure. Galways efforts could be soundtracked by horslips an dearg doom "We'll put em under pressure"..
    It's a shame as Galway is a far nicer destination for an away trip (and Rovers fans mix with Galway fans without issue) than Waterford, but JC's style of football is from a different era, behind the game in the Premier division now.
    I don't think Waterford will have it easy against UCD-theres a reason the students are in the Premier division, as they play good football and even without
    their 2 best players can be a danger to teams.
    It's a shame about galway tho, a few pints on the way, into one of the great boozers there for a few, onto the game, and back home again. Hopefully they can get rid of what's holding them back and get up to the top division again soon?
    Sacking Long Ballfield will be the only good thing to come out of all this for Galway.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I see the FAI are looking after UCD with the Dublin venue, Richmond Park for the Play-Off Final!

I suppose they are making it as easy as possible for the UCD support that may decide to attend!

Waterford had nearer to 1,000 fans at the Markets Field and will probably bring as many if not more to Richmond!

For the above reason I hope Waterford FC & their fans win the day!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Same venue as last year. The only thing that makes sense in this daft setup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Galway should be calling Keith Long…..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Galway should be calling Keith Long…..
    Now that would be a football decision!

Even the Galway players would be excited by this appointment!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...markets-field/
    Waterford and Galway would have had full houses if the playoff final was over two legs. The FAI should be reviewing the one off final decision. Play all playoff rounds over two legs and the crowds will come.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Caulfield booed off by some Galway fans at the end.
    In fairness 3 0 was harsh on Galway as they dominated 2nd half and if the header that hit the post had gone in or they scored the penalty would have a nervy end to game.
    I'm not bothered about the fact that the final is in Dublin as don't see another suitable neutral venue.
    Waterford fans will travel in big numbers anyway again next Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    A temporary stand should never be used as a permanent fixture unless it’s maintained and money has been put into to ensure safety and longevity. But neither Limerick or Wexford should be using these stands as permanent fixtures because money hasn’t been spent to turn it them from temporary structures into permanent ones. It’s a huge egg on face for the FAI as there were multiple Blues fans highlighting the stand wasn’t fit for purpose after the semi against Treaty, a couple even took it upon themselves to email the FAI. And I know of one instance where the FAI replied and said they checked with Treaty and the stadium holders and it was declared the stand was fit for purpose.

Yes the FAI should be in hot water but the owners of the ground shouldn’t got of Scott free either especially if they’re saying they carried out safety checks prior to the game. It appears the stadium owners didn’t carry out any checks and just told the FAI what they wanted to hear. On the flip side when the FAI are picking grounds for such high important games they themselves should be getting an independent body to carry out safety checks prior to even confirming the venue.

Regardless of all that, the play off final should have never been played in the ground. I don’t believe you can have a play off final and then give 600 seats to one set of fans and 1000 to the other. Again though, the lack of stadium investment in that side of the country is criminal. And that’s once again on the FAI for all the years and neglect of the league, now the leagues at a point where attendances are slowly on the rise but the majority don’t have stadiums fit for purpose. The government gotta take some heat too, because you can beat your arse there’s multiple fit for purpose GAA stadiums that side of the country with large government funding involvement.

Come next February the solution to the stand issue will probably be either replace it with another temporary structure or there’ll be no stand at all. That all comes down to how underfunded and supported the league is.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Is there many of the current crop finishing up next year in the UCD squad Bowler?
    It's different these days Joey, quite a few of the UCD squad aren't current students, and some are lads who have left the college a few years now, so harder to pinpoint who is finishing. Then some who may be due to finish this year may get offered Masters scholarships, and no clue on that front. I'd say who stays and who goes may also depend on relegation, as the 1st Division is going to be hard yards next season with no Dublin fixtures. Colm Whelan and Dylan Duffy are off to Lincoln is the rumour around the Bowl. Evan Caffrey looking to get out, maybe Shels. Sean Brennan will move for Prem football if they are relegated and he can get it. Lonergan may be targeted and will go for a decent offer if its a Dublin club. Former no 1 keeper Lorcan Healy will go having played little this season (despite being a lot better than Moore). Gallagher and Keaney may be finished college, Keaney is an awful footballer, I hope someone takes him off our hands, we could do with keeping Gallagher (I'm sure Harps would love to get him back, but you have your own problems). Not a single player from the 19s is good enough. Uncertain times ahead, the normal feedstock of next gen players was interupted this year when a bunch of current students left for other clubs in the mid season window, that one will come back to haunt UCD I suspect as it leaves the cupboard bare in what should have been coming through. Very uncertain future at the club. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch coming in from Rovers u19s, seems to be a thing since Myler took over (eg Caffrey, Ryan, Duffy, Dunne), a Rovers B vibe. So in summary, I haven't a clue really, a combination of guesswork and bowl match day rumours is all in the above!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    It's different these days Joey, quite a few of the UCD squad aren't current students, and some are lads who have left the college a few years now, so harder to pinpoint who is finishing. Then some who may be due to finish this year may get offered Masters scholarships, and no clue on that front. I'd say who stays and who goes may also depend on relegation, as the 1st Division is going to be hard yards next season with no Dublin fixtures. Colm Whelan and Dylan Duffy are off to Lincoln is the rumour around the Bowl. Evan Caffrey looking to get out, maybe Shels. Sean Brennan will move for Prem football if they are relegated and he can get it. Lonergan may be targeted and will go for a decent offer if its a Dublin club. Former no 1 keeper Lorcan Healy will go having played little this season (despite being a lot better than Moore). Gallagher and Keaney may be finished college, Keaney is an awful footballer, I hope someone takes him off our hands, we could do with keeping Gallagher (I'm sure Harps would love to get him back, but you have your own problems). Not a single player from the 19s is good enough. Uncertain times ahead, the normal feedstock of next gen players was interupted this year when a bunch of current students left for other clubs in the mid season window, that one will come back to haunt UCD I suspect as it leaves the cupboard bare in what should have been coming through. Very uncertain future at the club. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch coming in from Rovers u19s, seems to be a thing since Myler took over (eg Caffrey, Ryan, Duffy, Dunne), a Rovers B vibe. So in summary, I haven't a clue really, a combination of guesswork and bowl match day rumours is all in the above!
    Thanks for the info,how’s Sam Todd rated there? seems to play ok anytime I’ve seen him with youse…
    I’d take Gallagher back in a heartbeat but as you say it’s a slog in the first division and it’s even worse for us….

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Thanks for the info,how’s Sam Todd rated there? seems to play ok anytime I’ve seen him with youse…
    I’d take Gallagher back in a heartbeat but as you say it’s a slog in the first division and it’s even worse for us….
    Todd was very good in our promotion season, been ok this year. He is excellent in the air and a sort of old school blood and thunder defender, but not the most mobile and not great with the ball at his feet to be honest, tends to just lump it long into the channel every time. He came as a mature student, so think he may not be done in college yet. He's a top quality 1st Division defender, when a lot of teams are just lumping it at you, him and Harvey OBrien loved that in the 1st Division, but neither can pass a ball 15 yards into the feet of a midfielder on the half turn, both long ball merchants. O'brien was injured most of this season.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Todd had similar issues with the step up in level while at Harps. Great lad though, and proper leader. I think he has at least one more year left as a student, if not two.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    The new FAI, very like the old FAI but don’t forget they’re “new!”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    I see the FAI are looking after UCD with the Dublin venue, Richmond Park for the Play-Off Final!

I suppose they are making it as easy as possible for the UCD support that may decide to attend!

Waterford had nearer to 1,000 fans at the Markets Field and will probably bring as many if not more to Richmond!

For the above reason I hope Waterford FC & their fans win the day!
    What would the alternative be ? Carlisle Grounds ?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast