Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Play-offs 2022.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    We were lucky to still be in the game at HT.

The way Caulfield set us up was so negative, going behind actually was good for us, it meant we had to make changes and actually have a go at Longford.

As the game wore on, we looked the more likely team to grab a winner but a draw was probably fair. It was incredibly frustrating to concede the second goal when we did, we started the second half really well and deserved the equaliser, it looked like we were going to go on and win it and Adeyemo's second goal knocked us back badly. I suppose we showed backbone to come from behind twice though.

There should be a big crowd in Terryland on Sunday, I'd say in and around 3,000. We should be beating Longford at home, but then again the same was said about Bray Wanderers last year and we all know how that ended...
    Not sure I'd say ye were lucky to still be in it at HT. As well as we played we didn't create enough clear cut chances whereas our keeper had to make 3 top class saves on the night. It's definitely a missed opportunity for us given how negative ye were in the first half. Advantage Galway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Not sure I'd say ye were lucky to still be in it at HT. As well as we played we didn't create enough clear cut chances whereas our keeper had to make 3 top class saves on the night. It's definitely a missed opportunity for us given how negative ye were in the first half. Advantage Galway
    I think you misunderstood me. When I said half time I meant in Wednesday's game, not the tie. Longford were well on top in the first half and hit the post after going 1-0 up.

We were far too defensive and respectful of Longford, when we started to actually have a go, we looked like we'd win the game. Unfortunately that is JC's way.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    No arguing with that and at the time of the red card it was only 2-1 to Waterford who really should really have been out of sight at that stage. Probably unlikely but could have been a different game with 1 goal in it and 11 v 11, who knows?
    If buts and maybe type of situation though. If Waterford scored their pen and if treaty miss there’s nobody’s even talking about the red card. Treaty had what like 2 shots on target from play all? Personally thought the second yellow was harsh though, if it was the other way round I’d be unhappy about the decision. But I can understand the refs decision as the Blues player was taken out in the follow through.

I feel like we dominated the game, that showed during the first 5 minutes when treaty had what was probably their best spell in the game and we went 1 up. Martin was never really troubled in the Waterford goal. We may not have scored 4 but I don’t think Treaty would of scored a second, again if buts and maybe. On the night the better team and deservedly won by a couple goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    If buts and maybe type of situation though. If Waterford scored their pen and if treaty miss there’s nobody’s even talking about the red card. Treaty had what like 2 shots on target from play all? Personally thought the second yellow was harsh though, if it was the other way round I’d be unhappy about the decision. But I can understand the refs decision as the Blues player was taken out in the follow through.

I feel like we dominated the game, that showed during the first 5 minutes when treaty had what was probably their best spell in the game and we went 1 up. Martin was never really troubled in the Waterford goal. We may not have scored 4 but I don’t think Treaty would of scored a second, again if buts and maybe. On the night the better team and deservedly won by a couple goals.
    Like I said I've no problem admitting Waterford deserved the win it was like men v boys and ye should have been out of sight before the sending off (it was only 1-2) but the ref ruined the game for me lots of silly yellows and two very soft penalties, Treaty didn't deserve to be in the game at 1-2 but they were and the goal seemed to give them a bit of a boost and who knows what COULD have happened only for the sending off. Treaty needed the win to take to Waterford but that was never going to happen

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    I think you misunderstood me. When I said half time I meant in Wednesday's game, not the tie. Longford were well on top in the first half and hit the post after going 1-0 up.

We were far too defensive and respectful of Longford, when we started to actually have a go, we looked like we'd win the game. Unfortunately that is JC's way.
    No, I understood you meant Wednesday, we went 1-0 up but how many saves did Kearns make? Ye were stink but Dennison had to make 3 very big saves so that is a concern ahead of Sunday. We'll have to find a way to defend long balls into the area, something we've struggled with all season.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Treaty 3-1 up at the RSC - could they pull it off yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    3-3 (7-4) now. Looks like Waterford have done enough to wake up and rescue themselves.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Pity that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Pity that...
    Does your Mammy cut your hair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    End of the road for Treaty. Any chance something can be sorted now in the off season and the famous league of Ireland name of Limerick can be brought back ?? 1937 ffs how can such history be discarded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC Blue View Post
    End of the road for Treaty. Any chance something can be sorted now in the off season and the famous league of Ireland name of Limerick can be brought back ?? 1937 ffs how can such history be discarded.
    Talk to pat o sullivan , the treaty lads wanted to call it limerick.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    That was more exciting than I expected. Fair play to Treaty for the first half. We were far too open. Baptiste coming on for Taylor 10 minutes before half time made a difference. Harsh to take a player off so early but it needed to be done.
    Another penalty and a typical Phoenix Patterson goal finished off the tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Galway v waterford in the first division final. Probably fair as they were the best two after cork.
    Good game Longford didn't take their chances galway did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Be a tight game in both finals id say,I fancy UCD to stay up if I'm honest but purely from a logistical sense for us next season I hope Waterford go up!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Interesting to see that Waterford have lost all seven playoffs they've been in.

Hope that continues, but wouldn't be all that confident. I think we're at a higher level than last year purely by playing the higher level the past year, but Waterford clearly aren't the mess they were last year either

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Very true,the identity that Treaty are trying to create ,well meaning and all as it is will never work imo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Good game Longford didn't take their chances galway did
    Not too sure about that.

First half was quite even, not much between either side, apart from Hurley's goal. It was quite scrappy.

Second half we were by far the better team and could've scored 5. Dennisson had to make a few brilliant saves (the one to deny Rowe at the backpost was brilliant), we hit the post, Walshy nearly got through a few times.

To be honest, it was a surprisingly easy win, I thought Longford would offer a lot more. Bar Adeyemo's chance in the second half where he swivelled in the box, they created little or nothing. We were sitting on a 1-0 lead for ages but it always looked like just a matter of time before we added a second.

Waterford will obviously be a much tougher test, but we have a good enough record against them this year, 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss, so we certainly won't fear them.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Waterford FC v Galway United at the Markets Field in Limerick.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    There is no continuity from the orriginal Limerick club of 1937 and any recent variation of LOI football in Limerick. Not even close to it.

Limerick is second only to Cork in having more clubs than Ibiza.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Not too sure about that.

First half was quite even, not much between either side, apart from Hurley's goal. It was quite scrappy.

Second half we were by far the better team and could've scored 5. Dennisson had to make a few brilliant saves (the one to deny Rowe at the backpost was brilliant), we hit the post, Walshy nearly got through a few times.

To be honest, it was a surprisingly easy win, I thought Longford would offer a lot more. Bar Adeyemo's chance in the second half where he swivelled in the box, they created little or nothing. We were sitting on a 1-0 lead for ages but it always looked like just a matter of time before we added a second.

Waterford will obviously be a much tougher test, but we have a good enough record against them this year, 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss, so we certainly won't fear them.
    Think this is fair. We really didn't turn up yesterday unfortunately, just one of those days where we never really got going apart from maybe 15-20 mins in the first half. Second half we never came out at all and we were blessed to still be in the tie going into the last 10 mins. Galway deserving winners on the day.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast