Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Play-offs 2022.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Its looking like Waterford against Longford or Galway,where will the final be? Dublin?
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Longford may make sense if it's Waterford v Galway? If it's LTFC v Waterford then you'd assume Dublin, yes.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Limerick maybe if it is Waterford v Galway?
    Great win for Waterford last night so one foot in the first division final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    It'll probably be Dublin regardless who wins.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Second yellow card for Colin Conroy last night for this. I'd be interested to know people's thoughts.

https://twitter.com/MrJS37/status/15...2Z6wjnSSmtrAoQ

i have no ida how to embed a tweet on here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Never a yellow card - obviously. Terrible decision.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Referee in the Longford game was Kevin O'Sullivan. Absolutely pathetic performance. Total lack of consistency. Yellow card for one tackle and not for an identical one a few minutes later. A free for a push in the back one moment not for the next blatant one. Dreadful

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    He does sort of clatter into him after clearing the ball, but it's hard to know what the official wanted him to do there: not go for the ball and let the Waterford man have it? The only way he can do his job and play the ball is to slide, and he can hardly stop his momentum after: if we deem the Treaty player guilty, should the Waterford player who stepped into his path not also be guilty? The ref presumably only had eyes for the contact and didn't take into account the wider context.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I guess the referee's take is that it's reckless play, which is a yellow card. From the guide to the rules -

Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
    Or from another refereeing guide going more into what reckless play is -

A tackle may still be considered reckless even though the ball is played. Where contact is made with the ball and opponent at speed and without consideration for the potential danger to the opponent, it should be punished appropriately.

The speed or the intensity of the challenge. Is the player in control of his actions, or is he “off the ground” and out of control when he makes the challenge?
    In this case, I think the player can be said to be out of control when he makes the challenge - otherwise he would have controlled his slide to not clatter the opponent. And with boots up a bit at the start (albeit while well-intentioned I think), you can see why the referee would have given a yellow for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Referee in the Longford game was Kevin O'Sullivan. Absolutely pathetic performance. Total lack of consistency. Yellow card for one tackle and not for an identical one a few minutes later. A free for a push in the back one moment not for the next blatant one. Dreadful
    Talk about going OTT.

The referee made no decisions that had any major bearing on the game whatsoever, it was just an average performance from a First Division referee. To call it pathetic and dreadful is just pure hyperbole. He gave out maybe 3 yellow cards in the game.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I thought it was harsh myself - the contact he makes with his arse or lower back, if anything...but he does still knock him over I suppose.

But then keeper come out all the time and flatten players in the act of blocking a shot or getting there first and preventing one.

If Conroy had been a keeper coming out at a striker's feet and, in the act of smothering/clearing the ball, had felled him the same way (with his lower stomach rather than lower back, say), there's not a hope it would be a penalty.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I thought it was harsh myself - the contact he makes with his arse or lower back, if anything.
    I suppose that could add to the referee's view that the challenge was out of control - the player is sliding and not even able to see where he's going, or has maybe turned around in an effort to avoid the contact but can't.

I think by the letter of the law the ref is correct here, even though the player does hook the ball away quite cleanly. Whether the letter of the law is too soft is another matter of course

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    We made such a strong start to game but as game went further one Galway got stronger and stronger. Perhaps the turning pt will be Luke Dennisons superb save towards the end. I wouldnt be surprised if game will go to ET/penos as I cant see a winner. Galways 1st pt in Bishopsgate all season.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I suppose that could add to the referee's view that the challenge was out of control - the player is sliding and not even able to see where he's going, or has maybe turned around in an effort to avoid the contact but can't.

I think by the letter of the law the ref is correct here, even though the player does hook the ball away quite cleanly. Whether the letter of the law is too soft is another matter of course
    If it was a yellow card for every time a player is unable to stop dead in their tracks forget about the game of football, players collide accidently all the time, the tackle wasn't in the slightest bit dangerous but the Waterford player righty made it look like he got hit by a bus.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Pretty dominant performance from Waterford all game,controlled the pace of the game,good movement and always a threat when near the goals.Helped it must be said by a Treaty side ,who gave everything ,but outclassed and looked unprepared tactically.the referee thing a side issue in terms of how good Waterford were Good crowd ,around two thousand maybe though plenty gone by fulltime.
    Last edited by da bishop; 27/10/2022 at 9:09 PM.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Talk about going OTT.

The referee made no decisions that had any major bearing on the game whatsoever, it was just an average performance from a First Division referee. To call it pathetic and dreadful is just pure hyperbole. He gave out maybe 3 yellow cards in the game.
    Just because none of his decisions led to a goal doesn't mean he wasn't utter sh*te. It was by far and away one of the most inconsistent performances all season from a referee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    We made such a strong start to game but as game went further one Galway got stronger and stronger. Perhaps the turning pt will be Luke Dennisons superb save towards the end. I wouldnt be surprised if game will go to ET/penos as I cant see a winner. Galways 1st pt in Bishopsgate all season.
    We were lucky to still be in the game at HT.

The way Caulfield set us up was so negative, going behind actually was good for us, it meant we had to make changes and actually have a go at Longford.

As the game wore on, we looked the more likely team to grab a winner but a draw was probably fair. It was incredibly frustrating to concede the second goal when we did, we started the second half really well and deserved the equaliser, it looked like we were going to go on and win it and Adeyemo's second goal knocked us back badly. I suppose we showed backbone to come from behind twice though.

There should be a big crowd in Terryland on Sunday, I'd say in and around 3,000. We should be beating Longford at home, but then again the same was said about Bray Wanderers last year and we all know how that ended...

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Adeyemo has certainly blossomed since he got away from Caulfield. 9 goals in 13 games for us I believe.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    Pretty dominant performance from Waterford all game,controlled the pace of the game,good movement and always a threat when near the goals.Helped it must be said by a Treaty side ,who gave everything ,but outclassed and looked unprepared tactically.the referee thing a side issue in terms of how good Waterford were Good crowd ,around two thousand maybe though plenty gone by fulltime.
    No arguing with that and at the time of the red card it was only 2-1 to Waterford who really should really have been out of sight at that stage. Probably unlikely but could have been a different game with 1 goal in it and 11 v 11, who knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Adeyemo has certainly blossomed since he got away from Caulfield. 9 goals in 13 games for us I believe.
    He was very underwhelming with us, but he obviously didn't suit our "tactics". He was also incredibly lazy.

The last night he got two chances and stuck them both. He was clinical.

Typical with GUFC this year, off my head: Adeyemo, Colin Kelly, Enda Curran and Thomas Oluwa have all scored against us this season. That always seems to happen to us...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast