Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Play-offs 2022.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    Get in there, you beauties. The referee should never be allowed do another game in the league, that's hit Keaney in the back. Against all the odds, we go again in the top flight for another season
    Some job by Myler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Some job by Myler.
    Bowler's reverse psychology worked on him in the end.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Bowler's reverse psychology worked on him in the end.
    There has been method in my madness all along lads ?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Junior and Patterson might have been more effective if they weren't so greedy. Never seen two lads who just won't pass the ball, taking on two and three players needlessly every time.

Too many individuals in that Waterford team.

Superb effort from Sam Todd, delighted for him and Michael Gallagher.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Shocking but at least it didn’t change the result (accepting it may have).
    Drogheda United in this together

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Gutted for Waterford. I know they're there on merit, but UCD contribute feck-all to a Premier Division that continues to grow and attract increasing numbers of fans across most clubs.

They're a poorly-supported First Division club that is finnncially doped by having a college underwriting their wages. Despite the fixture being a couple of kilometres from their home turf, UCD still only managed to attract about 5% of the support that a team who had to travel 160kms did. Whcih says it all really. Unlucky Waterford - so much possession, but so few shots on target.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Mostly a load of ****** there EYG, but what's new

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Mostly a load of ****** there EYG, but what's new
    Hah

So which bit then :
    - UCD being poorly supported ?
    - UCD having financial support from the Uni re its players?
    - UCD's support only comprising approx 5% of tonight's attendance ? I'll be generous and up-weight it to 10% if that makes you feel better
    - Waterford having a lot of possession, but few shots on target ?

Feel free to critique the above

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

That's horrendous. Worse than the Lee Grace foreheadball of 2019.

Congrats on the win and campaign overall to you and all the other students. Happy for UCD to stay up myself. The team that deserves it gets it and UCD deserve it. It's the football not the fanbase that counts. Good to see the UCD crowd seemingly growing all the same though.

Now, can we have Duffy back and maybe Lonergan with him?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Hah

So which bit then :
    - UCD being poorly supported ?
    - UCD having financial support from the Uni re its players?
    - UCD's support only comprising approx 5% of tonight's attendance ? I'll be generous and up-weight it to 10% if that makes you feel better
    - Waterford having a lot of possession, but few shots on target ?

Feel free to critique the above

As I say, it's mostly ******.

Anyone at the game will tell you we had more than 5/10% of the crowd

Did we have less there than Waterford? Yes. Shock as one club is bigger than another. It's an outrage Joe!

Financially doped? **** off. Every club has a backer. Waterford have guys in from the English league for ducks sake. Should we kick out Rovers and Derry for having billionaires behind them? What about Bray, getting an (almost) free ground off the Council? We'd have no-one left if every "financially doped" club was relegated.

Fair dues to Bray Council and UCD the college and that Derry guy and the Comers and anyone who puts money into the LoI and asks for nothing back

The College underwrite our wages? No they don't.

Unlucky Waterford? No - I'd say ****e. If you can't beat UCD - or even make the keeper work - you don't deserve to be in the Premier

And that's with all respect to Waterford fans who will doubtless see where I'm coming from

So yeah - mostly ******, as I said
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 12/11/2022 at 12:00 AM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Myler must be a MOTY contender eh Bowler?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Gutted for Waterford. I know they're there on merit, but UCD contribute feck-all to a Premier Division that continues to grow and attract increasing numbers of fans across most clubs.

They're a poorly-supported First Division club that is finnncially doped by having a college underwriting their wages. Despite the fixture being a couple of kilometres from their home turf, UCD still only managed to attract about 5% of the support that a team who had to travel 160kms did. Whcih says it all really. Unlucky Waterford - so much possession, but so few shots on target.
    Honestly, I don't know where to start with this one. Yes, poorly supported, that one really grates with me as a fan, and that's down to utter incompetence of the people in charge. 30k students in UCD, a ****i1n 12 year old could drum up a decent following. Actually if you look at their social media feed, they are more interested in LSL than LOI, and that tells you everything about the culture in the place, its just a private enterprise for McNally and his crew, like a private club answerable to nobody (funded by 100k a year subvention from the college), and i agree in every sense its not actually a real football club. But the assertion that they are financially doped is the funniest thing I've heard all year. Firstly, we don't pay our players, about half of the squad are in college and get their college fees paid. The rest get about 100 a week expenses (like the 1st Div clubs). We operate on a lower budget than every team in the LOI. We are successful despite the people, not because of the people. We have an amazing track record of producing talent for a simple reason. Any footballer in the country with academic talent and ambition, comes to UCD because they realise that your chances of being a pro baller in Ireland and making a meaningful living are less than 1% , so why not therefore get a degree for free and give yourself an abundance of career options while doing so. That pushes a disproportionate amount of talent into UCD. They have no scouts, no talent spotters, I've never seen a UCD scout at an underage game. They have outsourced their academy to Mount Merrion FC, a financially secure local club, with zero tradition in grassroots football, never had a team in top tier at underage in decades, that was a smart move by the professional classes at Mount Merrion FC to get themselves up the football ladder (not the UCD football hierarchy, who quite ironically aren't clever enough to do this). UCD give a huge amount to the league, year after year just look at the UCD alumni players alscatrered.at the top levels across the league. Unconventional for sure, and I'd rather be there every week surrounded by real football fans, but the club are clueless. I'm emigrating shortly to Oz with work, will miss my passive sunny summer nights out at The Bowl, surrounded by empty seats, screaming at the ref and getting looked at funny by the rugby locals.i hope UCD get some real football people involved, and football business people. The Bowl could be an amazing 4k seater stadium for less than 5m investment, maybe some day i can fill that gap. Where they are geographically and socio economically, they could be 10x bigger in 24 months if they weren't run by a bunch of FAI like dumb ass self serving peoole, UCD could be a comfortable mid prem team with 1000 at every game. Well done to the players tonight, an unbelievable achievement to effectively to do it with a squad of 14 since mid season, and for all those out there crediting Myler, all I can say is, credit the players, because not one of them has a decent word to say about the manager, and that's the truth of it from the insiders.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    is that a good summary of how most ucd fans feel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I would say most UCD fans feel EYG is acting the ******, yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I'd say Stephen McGuinness is absolutely beside himself with rage at the result tonight.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    Firstly, we don't pay our players, about half of the squad are in college and get their college fees paid.
    Which is the underwriting aspect I mentioned. Whether you call it 'wages' or not - they are being financially covered by the college for being there. Would they even be at UCD if the college wasn't paying their fees to play for the club ? Highly likely not I suspect.

I can understand UCD fans getting tetchy at the variety of criticism that can be levelled at their club. But that doesn't make it any less valid.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    As I say, it's mostly ******.

Anyone at the game will tell you we had more than 5/10% of the crowd

Did we have less there than Waterford? Yes. Shock as one club is bigger than another. It's an outrage Joe!

Financially doped? **** off. Every club has a backer. Waterford have guys in from the English league for ducks sake. Should we kick out Rovers and Derry for having billionaires behind them? What about Bray, getting an (almost) free ground off the Council? We'd have no-one left if every "financially doped" club was relegated.

Fair dues to Bray Council and UCD the college and that Derry guy and the Comers and anyone who puts money into the LoI and asks for nothing back

The College underwrite our wages? No they don't.

Unlucky Waterford? No - I'd say ****e. If you can't beat UCD - or even make the keeper work - you don't deserve to be in the Premier

And that's with all respect to Waterford fans who will doubtless see where I'm coming from

So yeah - mostly ******, as I said
    What percentage of the crowd would you say UCD fans made up at the game then ?

The UCD Bowl is 8kms from Richmond Park. It's 162 miles from the RSC. To be overwhelmingly outnumbered in a big game on your doorstep speaks to how small UCD's support is. I appreciate that doesn't please or sit well with UCD fans, and they don't like being reminded of it. But it is still true. Another year of dragging down the PD's average attendances awaits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

If decent support in the stands is the criteria then Bray, wexfrod athlone Longford should fold up with plenty of others, leaving aside what UCD do for players development on and off the pitch.

I have a kid in UCD , fees are a few grand a year if thats Financial doping ....€60 a week than its definitly the more Panadol version rather than Heroin.

Side effect of tonight is this may cost John Caulfield his job, the Comars might have stuck with him on the basis they were red hot favs for next years first division but now Waterford will look to come up as Champs and avoid another play off defeat. For anyone who hasnt heard Johny Ward on this weeks LOI Central Podcast his rant on Galway is worth a listen, left poor auld Dan speechless.. Suffice it to say he isnt a JC fan
    Last edited by sbgawa; 12/11/2022 at 3:10 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    I would say most UCD fans feel EYG is acting the ******, yes
    I meant do you and others agree with the take The Bowler has on the club and manager in general?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast