Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Games weekend 21st October to 24th October

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are Bohs all that well run now?

For all the money (Matt Doherty, decent Euro run) they've not won anything for more than a decade now, have gone backwards this year, and then sacked Long with no real succession plan in place.

I think you're being a bit pessimistic, albeit Cork do seem to have been really badly run for a few years now.
    being well run off the pitch doesnt mean you are going to be good on it. look at the quality of player bohs have, they can clearly compete to a point. their jersey sales alone dwarf anything we'll do next year. then you add in that doherty + devoy money .
    the current board who've steadied the ship since 2019 have been good but theres only so much they can do without outside investment. IMO 8th would be a success for us next year. depending on who goes up. its hard not to be pessimistic when you know most of the squad isnt good enough to make the jump up .

Our gates will be fine for a few weeks but once results go poorly (which in all likelihood they will) the wheels fall off the wagon and we are left with 2-3k of supporters through the gates. merch + gate receipts wont sustain you getting to 5th place. you need investment which we wont have. plus its what got us in the mess in 2018, the old board budgeting for crazy crowds of 4k a game when our performances were trending the the wrong direction. by the end of 2019 there were games it felt like less than 2k in the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

For all the money (Matt Doherty, decent Euro run) they've not won anything for more than a decade now, have gone backwards this year, and then sacked Long with no real succession plan in place.

I think you're being a bit pessimistic, albeit Cork do seem to have been really badly run for a few years now.

Bit early to be thinking of next season now but assuming that Rovers , Derry , Dundalk, and Pats keep a bit of a gap to the rest the battle to avoid the drop next season could be desperate enough. Id expect Cork to be strong enough to compete with the other teams in the PD.
    Having Harps and UCD cut adrift this year took the pressure off everyone, i doubt it will be the same next year
    Last edited by sbgawa; 25/10/2022 at 1:53 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

The business side of Bohs is being extremely well run. Between merch, sponsorship and increased memberships and season tickets the club is creating very healthy revenue every season.

4. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    But if that's not translating to on-the-pitch performances, is it out of the question that Cork couldn't finish ahead Bohs next year?

I don't think it is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Providing Dundalk get Europe indications are that main owners StatSports will increase budget a fair bit.

Also if we do get europe it will rank well up there with recent achievements, as playing with 8 players out either injured or left since June, and pretty much no striker since Mid August !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Well jaysus. I thought we were out of steam altogether but the Pats performance was a throw back to us at our best. Derry made it easy in the end but it was some run from them at the start and end of the season to put the pressure on. Fair play to them. Higgins is still learning but I'd be feeling very optimistic if I was a Derry fan. I don't understand why they took their foot off the gas in the league but that's their choice. They'll be right there next year with a fit Duffy and a few new faces I'm sure. I wouldn't write Pats or Dundalk off either. We are fading a bit and while Derry are on the up, Dundalk and Pats at their best this season looked very good. Just not consistent enough and both need more depth but the core is there.

We still need a refresh and some more quality to compete in Europe but for now I'm really enjoying 3 in a row and #20.

Hopefully we can at least go and give Gent and Djurgarden a good moral hiding now for all the neutrals.

Good luck to all of you in your various battles for the cup, Europe, survival etc. The season coming to a close is always so bittersweet. You want the result but you don't want the journey to end.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

Ah, we are well run off the pitch and turn a profit every season. Of course we will see if that is still the case with FT football and an increased budget. On the pitch I can’t really argue with any of your points.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Ah, we are well run off the pitch and turn a profit every season. Of course we will see if that is still the case with FT football and an increased budget. On the pitch I can’t really argue with any of your points.
    What do you put that down to Ger? As much as I like to have a go at Lambert, it's clear he's effective in certain areas. So what's missing on the football side? The managerial search in particular seemed to suggest a lack of foresight or focus. Do you have a director of football type there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    That Buckley signing seems odd to me as an outsider.

Bringing a fella back from holidays on a 3-year deal (who will be 31 next year and 34 when it expires - especially after multi-year deals for Flores and Junior arent setting the world on fire), and making him captain for the next season before this one is even over- it just doesnt seem that well thought out.

The whole Ian Ryan drama being in media... bringing in a whole squad half way during the year.... then sacking your manager when they were baiscally in pre-season against teams well-settled. Don't know, maybe im looking too much into it... just seems junior ball to me.
    Last edited by Kiki Balboa; 25/10/2022 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    What do you put that down to Ger? As much as I like to have a go at Lambert, it's clear he's effective in certain areas. So what's missing on the football side? The managerial search in particular seemed to suggest a lack of foresight or focus. Do you have a director of football type there?
    My own view on this, is we are slow to do what other clubs are doing. Multi-year contracts, increasing budgets, going full-time, moving to morning training.
    All of these things have cost us on the pitch and means we are chasing other clubs who have a head start on us, by doing these things a season or two sooner.
    It’s like we want to be leaders in the league when it comes to off field activities but that same mindset is not there when it comes to the footballing side of things. Whatever strategy and business plan we have in place for the football club, is again in my view, weaker than the other elements of that strategy and business plan for the club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    My own view on this, is we are slow to do what other clubs are doing. Multi-year contracts, increasing budgets, going full-time, moving to morning training.
    All of these things have cost us on the pitch and means we are chasing other clubs who have a head start on us, by doing these things a season or two sooner.
    It’s like we want to be leaders in the league when it comes to off field activities but that same mindset is not there when it comes to the footballing side of things. Whatever strategy and business plan we have in place for the football club, is again in my view, weaker than the other elements of that strategy and business plan for the club.
    Yeah that's how it seems from the outside looking it. There's a lot of focus on, for want of a better word, "the brand" but at the same time an assumption that you can do all that work at the expense of what happens on the field. Like you can grow the brand and the football can catch up over time. If you were combining the growth aspects with results on the field you'd be flying. As it is I could see increased scrutiny and skepticism around some of Lambert's more left field ideas given that all LoI clubs have limited resources and if you don't put some of them into results then you risk alienating a lot of the older support and potentially turning off the newer support over time. Ultimately fans want something to celebrate even if all of us somewhat enjoy the pain of supporting our clubs as well! The downs make the ups etc.

I'd disagree with Kiki on Buckley though. You missed him badly this year and he's well capable of playing into his mid 30s. If anything you should have convinced him that Aus could be done after his career and that's another example of the football strategy being a bit out of whack.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    That Buckley signing seems odd to me as an outsider.

Bringing a fella back from holidays on a 3-year deal (who will be 31 next year and 34 when it expires - especially after multi-year deals for Flores and Junior arent setting the world on fire), and making him captain for the next season before this one is even over- it just doesnt seem that well thought out.
    We've had at least four different captains this season, each one terrible in their own unique way. It was a no brainer giving him the armband back.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    If anything you should have convinced him that Aus could be done after his career and that's another example of the football strategy being a bit out of whack.
    The 1 year travel/work visa that Irish people can get for Australia is only available to people under 30 isn’t it. There’s a reason why people do a year or 2 in Australia when they’re young and not later in life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    We've had at least four different captains this season, each one terrible in their own unique way. It was a no brainer giving him the armband back.
    Im not saying he shouldn't be captain at all. Or that he is a bad signing (probably will suit Devine).

My point is making him captain in a season when he cant be registered while you have another captain actually on the pitch is just off for me. Why not just wait till this year is done and dusted to make the announcement, start fresh with a new captain in the offseason.

For me, on the outside and could be wrong about it, just seems like a club scrambling to placate the fans. Sign a fan favorite, make him captain... nobody can complain for a few months.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    The 1 year travel/work visa that Irish people can get for Australia is only available to people under 30 isn’t it. There’s a reason why people do a year or 2 in Australia when they’re young and not later in life.
    Ah fair enough. I didnt know that. It's a wonder we don't lose more.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Not likely given he wasn’t under 30 when he went there
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    According to the internet he was 30 in June just gone, so that would make him 29 when he went to Oz.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    According to the internet he was 30 in June just gone, so that would make him 29 when he went to Oz.
    Apologies, right you are. Brain fart on my part
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567