409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Not gargled anyway… that’s good.
    Very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Grabbed an early penalty today against Barnsley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Another penalty for Danny - this time against Cambridge away.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Some positive comments in this review of Mandroiu's time so far at Lincoln City:

Danny Mandroiu’s performance against Oxford shows his future lies at City – Opinion – AllLincoln

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    Some positive comments in this review of Mandroiu's time so far at Lincoln City:

Danny Mandroiu’s performance against Oxford shows his future lies at City – Opinion – AllLincoln
    Could have told them he was a midfielder before they signed him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Has re-signed with Rovers until the end of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts
    Another failure of course.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Another failure of course.
    Well its not a success Nigel is it? Another one of our better LOI players coming back to the league having had his attitude questioned
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    To be fair, he has had his attitude questioned at I reckon all of his clubs, English or Irish. Not a great look though - on many levels.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Well its not a success Nigel is it? Another one of our better LOI players coming back to the league having had his attitude questioned
    He's back for 5 months to play in European group stage football and earn a hefty wage from Rovers in the process, plus a probable European bonus. He turned down a contract to stay at Lincoln so it's hardly back with his tail between the legs either.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He's back for 5 months to play in European group stage football and earn a hefty wage from Rovers in the process, plus a probable European bonus. He turned down a contract to stay at Lincoln so it's hardly back with his tail between the legs either.
    Hes 25 now, if he really had anything about his should he not be looking at contract offers from Championship clubs at least. Coming back for 5 months, taking a decent wage isnt success.

I think its great that Shamrock Rovers are in a position to offer good wages to players, I wish more LOI clubs could match that, but Mandroiu with the talent he has should have out grown this type of move by now. Im very disappointed in it tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    If he's only signed for 6 months, he obviously has a longer term ambition, sounds like a pretty sweet deal for all involved really, Rovers will badly need depth to cope with what's to come, he gets a chance to do something in Europe, he missed out last time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    If he's only signed for 6 months, he obviously has a longer term ambition, sounds like a pretty sweet deal for all involved really, Rovers will badly need depth to cope with what's to come, he gets a chance to do something in Europe, he missed out last time?
    Theres 2 angles to it. From the Rovers point of view its a brilliant signing, he adds genuine quality and I hope he performs well in Europe for them. The other angle is what I was saying that from the players standpoint, I would prefer if after playing well in L1 he was now moving up to a higher division and making himself an option for the Ireland team. Hes not, and on top of the other players who have returned lately I dont think its a great look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Beyond actually having an offer in L1, we don't really know what else was available to him, but he chose Rovers in the short term, so he seen that as a better option than staying with Lincon, that's all we can really say about it, if there never was a championship offer, we can't really be disappointed he didn't go there or see it as a failure. At the very least he could easily be a L1 player, and has chosen to leave. I reckon he has the self confidence that he's going to do something in the group stages and see if there's moves further afield available to him, he's definitely the type of Irish player that would suit playing in the Netherlands or a level like that.

I don't know much about the talk about him failing a medical somewhere, but I've seen it referenced online multiple times, so if that's the case, he's actually just playing for his career for the next few months

I dunno lads, a few of ye are really pushing the idea that fellas coming home is always bad. I don't think it's that simple at all, they're being paid well to play at a good level in an environment they obviously feel comfortable in, with a chance to win things/play in Europe. The league is actually getting stronger because they're returning, it could be excellent news in the long term, and help other future prospects become even better than they would have been playing in a tougher league with/against better players. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad would be my assessment, but basically every transfer that's happened in the past 6 months, it is far too early for any of us to make that assessment yet. Plenty could be gone out of the league again in 12/18 months at a higher level again.

I've been saying for months that I have worries about the general level of pay top players are getting and f any of it is sustainable, but we will see in time. For now if Rovers end up in the Conference league, they'll be in pot 4 out of 6, with a fighting chance of actually getting past the league phase. They are absolutely paying Danny a relative fortune for this gig and fair play to him for taking advantage of his position.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 20/08/2024 at 8:36 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    I reckon he has the self confidence that he's going to do something in the group stages and see if there's moves further afield available to him, he's definitely the type of Irish player that would suit playing in the Netherlands or a level like that.
    Didn't he turn down a move to the continent this summer because he didn't want to be based outside of the UK and Ireland?

I don't think there's a huge amount of analysis to be done here, his options seem to have been League 1 or Rovers and Rovers were paying more so he has followed the money as footballers often do. Rumours of poor levels of professionalism seem to follow him around, from the "gargled" tweet when he was in Ireland previously to Kennedy's comments at Lincoln. Unless that changes it won't really matter from an Ireland senior team perspective whether he's playing in Ireland or the English lower leagues. As he approaches his 26th birthday he's not exactly an emerging youngster either. Closer to another Jack Byrne at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I don't know much about his private life or attitude, there are always issues at ever club he's been at, perhaps he's more a Me Feiner than a terrible professional otherwise. He's definitely been willing to chose himself over the collective at every opportunity since Bohs.

People love to talk, how much of anything that becomes public is actually true is another matter. I think his partner is based in Ireland, an influencer or something, but I am getting old, I have no idea, but that could have some bearing on the choice to come home for a bit

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    "an influencer". That's a "job" i don't think I'd ever be able to explain to my parents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    "an influencer". That's a "job" i don't think I'd ever be able to explain to my parents.
    "like a priest of a Sunday, back in the good old days"
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Modern equivalent of door to door sales, encyclopedias, subscriptions, cleaning products, knife sets etc. replaced by more of the same in some cases with the addition of even more dodgy products and diet supplements.

On the Mandroiu move, it looks like a good one from both sides. If he performs in the Euro games it increases his profile and options more than another season in Lincoln and the benefit to Rovers is obvious.

I wonder with the guaranteed Euro games if there's a chance to attract a couple of high profile loans, it certainly makes a loan option more attractive to English and Scottish based players at this time of year than the standard season ending in November.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I think with the transfer window being closed, they can only sign free agents. Timing is just off by a couple of weeks.

23. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast