Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Keane Named King Of Football's Hardmen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Keane Named King Of Football's Hardmen

Manchester United captain Roy Keane has been voted the hardest football player ever.The Irish star beat Chelsea's legendary defender Ron 'Chopper" Harris - famed for his brutal tackles - into second place and Vinnie Jones into third.Around 2,500 football fans were polled by alcopop WKD and asked to come up with the game's toughest player of all time.

Keane has gained a fearsome reputation for his no-nonsense style on the pitch.

He also gained notoriety for a verbal assault on former Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy which saw the player walk out of the squad before the 2002 World Cup.

Keane - who has been involved in famous spats with former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira and Newcastle's Alan Shearer - was condemned for comments in his autobiography.

He deliberately injured Manchester City's Alf Inge Haaland with a vicious tackle and wrote in his book: "I'd waited long enough. I hit him hard. The ball was there (I think)."

It followed a previous match when Keane was injured and Haaland accused him of play acting.

A WKD spokesman said: "Keane was the clear winner but the rest were all pretty tough. Anyone with the nickname Chopper has to be a contender."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/05082005/14...s-hardmen.html
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    A WKD spokesman said: "Keane was the clear winner but the rest were all pretty tough. Anyone with the nickname Chopper has to be a contender."
    Assume drinkers of WKD are generally younger who probably never heard of Tommie Smith, Brian Kilcline and John McGrath.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    He was sent home. Why do the English press keep repeating the "walked out" mantra? Perhaps they think if they write enough that it will come true.

But it was a long time ago now... must forget... must forget...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Complete rubbish. I've found Keane for the most part a tough but fair player with his mad moments. However many of the players before the 80's were intentionally psychotic. Leeds of the 1970's for example? Worse than that they sometimes were never booked. I think even someone like Edgar Davids today is far dirtier than Keane. He just kicks the heels off you. And what about Thomas Repka to name just one modern day psycho?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Complete rubbish. I've found Keane for the most part a tough but fair player with his mad moments. However many of the players before the 80's were intentionally psychotic. Leeds of the 1970's for example? Worse than that they sometimes were never booked. I think even someone like Edgar Davids today is far dirtier than Keane. He just kicks the heels off you. And what about Thomas Repka to name just one modern day psycho?
    True, Keane is tough & mostly fair. Anyone who plays with his intensity will boil over now & again. That Kevin Muscat at Millwall is a particularly nasty piece of work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Any list that includes Bowyer as a "hardman" can't be taken seriously!
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papa-j
    True, Keane is tough & mostly fair. Anyone who plays with his intensity will boil over now & again. That Kevin Muscat at Millwall is a particularly nasty piece of work.
    True. Muscat ended one career and almost ended Dugarry's.