Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: LoI XI to play EPL club?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

LoI XI to play EPL club?

The Irish Mirror reports today that the FAI has held talks with an unnamed English Premier League club about playing a League of Ireland representative side at Lansdowne Road during the World Cup break. The article is rather brief on detail, so unclear whether the proposition is still a live concern, but the fact that Abbotstown have even entertained the concept shows a certain cultural cringe:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...wsApp_AppShare

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Can we bring the Harlem Globetrotters over too ? Maybe get Garth Brooks to sing a song at half time (sorry - at the end of the second quarter).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    better off with a "b" team or home based international side and have a game vs another country. lots of baltic/nordic countries do these throughout they year. not as marketable as getting over a select XI of lads not going to WC/on hols

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    If players are happy to play in it then who cares,I’d rather watch paint dry personally but if there’s people willing to pay for it then hopefully the money made from it benefits the right people….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    If players are happy to play in it then who cares,I’d rather watch paint dry personally but if there’s people willing to pay for it then hopefully the money made from it benefits the right people….
    Because it's a pantomime for the Premier League barstoolers, and would do nothing positive for the LOI's reputation - and actually risk damaging it instead.

"Sure even combining all the best LOI players you still couldn't match an English reserve team".

This is 'performing seals' bullsh!!t aimed at giddy Sky watchers who would be stupid enough to pay through the nose to watch their heroes (or their reserves anyway) play a meaningless fixture. If the money from it was actually going to improve the LOI then it might be possible to generate some interest in it, but this is just the FAI looking to cash in on English football for its own benefit whilst risking the credibility of the domestic game in the process. Keep foreign teams out of our stadia for meaningless fixtures, and focus on building the Irish game instead.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 18/10/2022 at 5:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I'd have no real interest in a game like this but I think it would be interesting to see what the demographic would be in attendance. There has been a ton more regular LOI fans post lockdown. If it's say a Everton/West Ham rather than Liverpool or United would there be enough LOI jerseys there to avoid it looking like a home game for the EPL team.

I think the LOI is (almost) past the point of where it's grateful for any ounce of coverage it can get, I think the Irish public have become a little more respectful for what we have here.

The surge in attendances has sustained for the most part this season and I think this could be an interesting litmus test with how the league is viewed. If the FAI can make a much needed quick buck I don't see any harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    better off with a "b" team or home based international side and have a game vs another country. lots of baltic/nordic countries do these throughout they year. not as marketable as getting over a select XI of lads not going to WC/on hols
    Much better idea to be fair. I hate XI teams, they are something from America or Australia. Put them in Irish jerseys, call it the home-based B team, and it has far more legitimacy than LOI XI.

Also, would there be that much demand to see West Ham play in the Aviva? I think if Liverpool or United played twice in Ireland, you would see a pretty drop off in attendence by the second game (actually going to games requires effort that most premier league fans only have to do once in a lifetime). Its not the early 2000s... is there still this massive appetite to see an English team play in Ireland? I know the Premier League is still super popular, (but this maybe a lot more about the bubble I am in), it just feels Irish people are less passionate about it than before, apart from the most marketable/gulliable people.

For the game itself... couldn't care about it. Be intresting to see who is selected and who is working with the team though. If it makes money, great. Not for me - if it is for somebody else gets to see their favourite foreign team, I am happy for them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    I'd rather see the national side play an EPL XI just to show how far off the pace we are at this point. It might wake a few people up. Highlighting the gap between the LoI and the EPL does nothing for anyone. As above, I'd make it a B international side and at least give a few lads a cap. If it brings up some cash for the FAI to put back into the game then that's grand.

I don't mind the Australian tour piece but it's a bit of a waste of time when our games aren't broadcast outside of LoI TV. Hard to generate any interest in Aus or the States if people can't watch games and sending a select XI wouldn't be promoting any one club either way. Sounds like it would cost us more than it would generate.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Appears to have been scrapped now:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...wsApp_AppShare

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Dead before it was even born. RIP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Best news I heard yesterday. That Utd match one was a shambles, on so many levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    It was never going to happen , they couldnt even get Rovers and Pats to play the Unite the Union cup in the off season for a six figure sum.
    Nonsense in every posible way

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    The worrying thing is that someone in the FAI thought it was a good enough idea to leak to the press. Then they immediately scrap it, presumably due to feedback?

If they want to try filling the Aviva in November they have a better choice.