Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2024 Qualifying Group B

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    With any luck there'll be a few others in squad carrying it and pass it on to the French on Friday
    The french do like a bit of kissing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    doesn't matter if we come 3rd or 5th.

to qualify for a league B playoff, we need 6 of israel, bosnia, serbia, scotland, finland, ukraine, iceland, norway and slovenia to qualify.

if that doesn't happen, we have a chance to be in a league A playoff. if 5 of 6 qualified above, we'd be first in the queue to move to A, if 4 of 6, we'd be second in the queue, etc. (so we need at least 2 of the above to qualify directly to have any chance).

so depending on what place we are in that queue, we need between 13 and 16 of the league A teams to qualify. those teams are: netherlands, croatia, spain, italy, denmark, portugal, belgium, hungary, switzerland, poland, france, austria, czech republic, england, wales

Another way of looking at it is:
    we're ranked 25th of teams going for qualification - there are 20 automatic places - and 8 playoff places - so 4 teams ahead of us are guaranteed to be in the playoffs, we need to make sure no more than 3 teams behind us qualify directly (Romania, Montenegro, Sweden, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Macedonia, Niron etc.)
    Thanks for that. Good to keep an eye on!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Slovenia won so good start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Live text updates for the other qualifiers in our group
    France - Netherlands: https://www.uefa.com/european-qualif...s-netherlands/
    Gibraltar - Greece: https://www.uefa.com/european-qualif...tar-vs-greece/

France game is on Virgin Media as well

This is the French side, can expect to see some of them start on Monday night
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 24/03/2023 at 7:29 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Live text updates for the other qualifiers in our group
    France - Netherlands: https://www.uefa.com/european-qualif...s-netherlands/
    Gibraltar - Greece: https://www.uefa.com/european-qualif...tar-vs-greece/

France game is on Virgin Media as well
    Watching VM now. Brian Kerr gets a lot of flak over his accent, but what the fluck is with the accent on Ian Harte ? Jesus.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Lads, this is brilliant. Exactly what we want. France to destroy Holland twice. Gives us a chance. Especially with a draw to France on Monday! Let them get their scoring out of the way tonight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think Kerr is just jealous Kenny's been given a fairly easy time of it and he didn't. And he's also afraid Kenny might do better than him and his monopoly on the LOI all knowing will be gone

France could easily get 5 or 6 tonight if they don't take their foot off the pedal
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Watching VM now. Brian Kerr gets a lot of flak over his accent, but what the fluck is with the accent on Ian Harte ? Jesus.
    He sounds like his accent was put together by a committee who couldn't agree on a thing and eventually all fell out with each other & just gave up.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Lads, this is brilliant. Exactly what we want. France to destroy Holland twice. Gives us a chance. Especially with a draw to France on Monday! Let them get their scoring out of the way tonight.
    It scares the bejaysus out of me to be honest!

11. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It scares the bejaysus out of me to be honest!
    There's nothing to be scared of from Holland anyway? Top 2 go through. Holland aren't great. This should be encouraging. Try to knick a draw on Monday but even if we lose, this group is on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Thanks for that. Good to keep an eye on!
    Not 8 play off places to play for.. 7

The winners of Group D in the Nations League, Estonia, will go into the A path play off if they don't qualify directly.. so there will most likely be 3 at most play off places in A, and 4 in B..

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    There's nothing to be scared of from Holland anyway? Top 2 go through. Holland aren't great. This should be encouraging. Try to knick a draw on Monday but even if we lose, this group is on.
    The Dutch are also missing a load of players because of a virus so this may not be a real indicator of what they are. DeJong for example could kill us in midfield

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The Dutch are also missing a load of players because of a virus so this may not be a real indicator of what they are. DeJong for example could kill us in midfield
    They're missing a couple of starters and De Jong is injured. Not saying it'll be easy but they are definitely beatable. This result tonight helps and if France can beat them away.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    There's no doubt that if we are to qualify Holland are the target, Greece will think the same

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    There's no doubt that if we are to qualify Holland are the target, Greece will think the same
    Yes, Greece could take points off Holland. This group is not the write off many suggested.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    4-0 thrashing. Perfect start really. France will be arrogant on Monday but it will be a full house in Lansdowne. I really think we have a chance of getting a draw at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Hopefully they got that whole World Cup Final business out of their system tonight and have a serious drop in intensity between now and Monday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Brian Kerr asked about Seamus Coleman's injury on virgin media, and instead launches into Kenny's management
    What's wrong here? All he said that was directly at Kenny was about him wanting experience(players) in the team and he doesn't believe "the manager" does. I think most of what he said was fair and objective.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Think we'll have a long running view on potential play off places as this campaign goes on.

There are 7 potential places available that we can get into (8 in the very unlikely event that Estonia come out of the group with Belgium, Austria and Sweden)

We really really need the "seeded teams" to perform and get out of their groups to give us a decent shot at a minimum play off spot

The ones I'd watch out for, who I would see struggle to qualify directly would be

A. Scotland or Norway - Spain will definitely qualify, so one of these two, likely to miss out.. I reckon Scotland

C. Ukraine - England and Italy have to be favourites

D. Wales - could struggle post Bale, possibly losing out to Turkey

E. Unlikely anyone will get past Czech Republic and Poland

F. Belgium will qualify.. we really need Austria to keep out Sweden (who are bringing back Ibra at 41)

G. Need Serbia and Hungary to hold off Montenegro

H. Really need Finland or Slovenia to hold off Northern Ireland for second in this group behind Denmark. Both Finland and Slovenia would get play off places before us, so can't hope for the lads up North to qualify

I. This is a pox ball of a group.. Israel finished in no. 1 spot in Path B, because the Russians were booted out, and they fell on their feet getting an Iceland team on the slide and a poor enough Albanian team.. but you wouldn't put your house on them holding off Romania or even Kosovo.. we hope that they will

J. Iceland are falling like a stone in terms of chances to qualify.. but because they finished ahead of us in that 3 team group, they'll be entitled to a play off place ahead of us.. (this is very unfair, but is what it is)

Which means.. in my opinion, in the worst case scenario..

Group A teams that will struggle to qualify..

Wales
    Austria

B teams that will struggle

Scotland/Norway
    Ukraine
    Israel
    Iceland
    Slovenia/Finland

As Estonia have to go from D to A..

Theres potentially only 1 space in the A play offs with Austria, Wales, Estonia,

It looks like 5 teams in B may not qualify, meaning there'll be a full path B, and 1 extra.. who would then go into Path A..

By my reckoning..

Our qualification chances could now hinge of Austria or Wales qualifying.. and Northern Ireland not qualifying

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Think we'll have a long running view on potential play off places as this campaign goes on.

There are 7 potential places available that we can get into (8 in the very unlikely event that Estonia come out of the group with Belgium, Austria and Sweden)

We really really need the "seeded teams" to perform and get out of their groups to give us a decent shot at a minimum play off spot

The ones I'd watch out for, who I would see struggle to qualify directly would be

A. Scotland or Norway - Spain will definitely qualify, so one of these two, likely to miss out.. I reckon Scotland

C. Ukraine - England and Italy have to be favourites

D. Wales - could struggle post Bale, possibly losing out to Turkey

E. Unlikely anyone will get past Czech Republic and Poland

F. Belgium will qualify.. we really need Austria to keep out Sweden (who are bringing back Ibra at 41)

G. Need Serbia and Hungary to hold off Montenegro

H. Really need Finland or Slovenia to hold off Northern Ireland for second in this group behind Denmark. Both Finland and Slovenia would get play off places before us, so can't hope for the lads up North to qualify

I. This is a pox ball of a group.. Israel finished in no. 1 spot in Path B, because the Russians were booted out, and they fell on their feet getting an Iceland team on the slide and a poor enough Albanian team.. but you wouldn't put your house on them holding off Romania or even Kosovo.. we hope that they will

J. Iceland are falling like a stone in terms of chances to qualify.. but because they finished ahead of us in that 3 team group, they'll be entitled to a play off place ahead of us.. (this is very unfair, but is what it is)

Which means.. in my opinion, in the worst case scenario..

Group A teams that will struggle to qualify..

Wales
    Austria

B teams that will struggle

Scotland/Norway
    Ukraine
    Israel
    Iceland
    Slovenia/Finland

As Estonia have to go from D to A..

Theres potentially only 1 space in the A play offs with Austria, Wales, Estonia,

It looks like 5 teams in B may not qualify, meaning there'll be a full path B, and 1 extra.. who would then go into Path A..

By my reckoning..

Our qualification chances could now hinge of Austria or Wales qualifying.. and Northern Ireland not qualifying
    Thank you very informative

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast