Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2024 Qualifying Group B

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    The biggest worry I have with the Greek game, is the amount of time between the end of the Football League and the game.. did someone saw yesterday the league finishes six weeks earlier..

Players will have lost all match fitness and sharpness, and will be well in holiday mode

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Greece are at about Georgia's level. We know it's not easy to go to Georgia but we expect to win. Let's not start talking up Greece or saying 20 degrees is too hot for our players. How many of their side would get into our team? Not many. We not only should be winning this game and getting 6 points in June but we have to get 6 points if we want to qualify.
    Greece are at about our level. They're ahead of us in ELO and right behind us in the FIFA system. Three points is not a given and nothing should be positioned that way; its a realistic target at best. Away from home it is that bit trickier for the reasons I outlined earlier. "Should be" winning is setting up a narrative to beat to death later if we don't. Having to get 6 points in June to qualify, I'll just about agree on that (as others have pointed out, 4 points does just about keep qualification within our sights).

Who from our squad would get into their squad, Boomer, and who would they boot out? I know about as much of their players as I had in my post above - it is a lot of unknown about the quality of those playing for AEK, PAOK, Olympiakos and those elsewhere in Turkey, Netherlands and Germany other than a lot of them are playing euro level regularly - and more so than our Championship and League 1 players. Not sure I could be as definitive as you in that regard but I trust you have done your research.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    The biggest worry I have with the Greek game, is the amount of time between the end of the Football League and the game.. did someone saw yesterday the league finishes six weeks earlier..

Players will have lost all match fitness and sharpness, and will be well in holiday mode
    The Greek league ends on May 14th. So they will be on holiday mode as well? The premier league ends towards the end of May so we could have an advantage. Next.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    The Greek league ends on May 14th. So they will be on holiday mode as well? The premier league ends towards the end of May so we could have an advantage. Next.
    The Greek Gods might be against us ~ Probably will (wink )

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Greece are at about our level. They're ahead of us in ELO and right behind us in the FIFA system. Three points is not a given and nothing should be positioned that way; its a realistic target at best. Away from home it is that bit trickier for the reasons I outlined earlier. "Should be" winning is setting up a narrative to beat to death later if we don't. Having to get 6 points in June to qualify, I'll just about agree on that (as others have pointed out, 4 points does just about keep qualification within our sights).

Who from our squad would get into their squad, Boomer, and who would they boot out? I know about as much of their players as I had in my post above - it is a lot of unknown about the quality of those playing for AEK, PAOK, Olympiakos and those elsewhere in Turkey, Netherlands and Germany other than a lot of them are playing euro level regularly - and more so than our Championship and League 1 players. Not sure I could be as definitive as you in that regard but I trust you have done your research.
    6 of our starting team on Monday are either premier league players or soon to be premier league players. Another player is in a La Liga club. Greece would love to have them in their squad. Our lower ranking is based on a horrible two/three years. Our players are really at around a top 30 in the world level or maybe better. My research on Greece is based on their performances in the last couple of years. They've had one or two good results but they've mostly been playing weak enough sides.

Greece are the Georgia/Wales/Slovakia type team in this group who we know are hard to beat but we fancy ourselves to do so. When we failed to beat these type of teams in the past, the reaction was somewhere between disappointed and outraged. I don't see why we should just accept a draw now. After the defeat on Monday, I think this game is in the must win category if we want to qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Greece seem to have a smattering of players playing all over Europe,1 Premier League player who sits on Liverpools bench mostly,a couple of Championship players,George Baldock of Sheffield United randomly being one of them ,no idea what to expect of them tbh but certainly nothing to be very worried about after what we faced on Monday….

They’re also managed by Gus Poyet,a very good premier league player in his day with less success managing over there….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I definitely wouldn't be taking the Greeks for granted. Best case scenario is four points from both games I'd say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    6 of our starting team on Monday are either premier league players or soon to be premier league players. Another player is in a La Liga club. Greece would love to have them in their squad.
    From the Greek team that started against Gibralatar, 1 Portuguese Primeira Liga, 2 Championship, 1 Eredivisie, 1 Premier League, 1 Bundesliga, 2 Greek Super League, 2 Turkish Super Lig, 1 MLS. Only two players outside the top division in each country, and one of them will be in the top division in the next

Our lower ranking is based on a horrible two/three years.
    Keep grinding that axe, it's not tiresome at all.

Our players are really at around a top 30 in the world level or maybe better. My research on Greece is based on their performances in the last couple of years. They've had one or two good results but they've mostly been playing weak enough sides.
    What did your research tell you about Greece's players? Or about beating Sweden and Norway, or drawing with Belgium?

Greece are the Georgia/Wales/Slovakia type team in this group who we know are hard to beat but we fancy ourselves to do so.
    Greece have beaten Georgia in recent years.

When we failed to beat these type of teams in the past, the reaction was somewhere between disappointed and outraged. I don't see why we should just accept a draw now. After the defeat on Monday, I think this game is in the must win category if we want to qualify.
    Every game is a must win in this group. We can't afford a slip up if we want to finish second. Nobody has said they would accept a draw, it's been pointed out repeatedly that Greece are tough to beat at home, and there will be several factors in the game outside of the players, formation, and tactics. To ignore them is foolhardy.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 29/03/2023 at 11:04 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    From the Greek team that started against Gibralatar, 1 Portuguese Primeira Liga, 2 Championship, 1 Eredivisie, 1 Premier League, 1 Bundesliga, 2 Greek Super League, 2 Turkish Super Lig, 1 MLS. Only two players outside the top division in each country, and one of them will be in the top division in the next

What did your research tell you about Greece's players? Or about beating Sweden and Norway, or drawing with Belgium?

Every game is a must win in this group. We can't afford a slip up if we want to finish second. Nobody has said they would accept a draw, it's been pointed out repeatedly that Greece are tough to beat at home, and there will be several factors in the game outside of the players, formation, and tactics. To ignore them is foolhardy.
    The Greek game is key we need 6 points off them to give us a chance to push the Dutch. Its going to mean picking players to win not contain. To me that will mean igbene drops out(or plays right wing back) for obafemi and smallbone comes in for probably Knight with o dowdy coming in for doherty . That gives us odowda and smallbone on set pieces and takes that responsibility away from Cullen which keeps us more secure when attacking as your defensive midfielder isn't out of the game after taking a corner or free kick when the opposition break. It gives us more creativity in midfield and a centre forward in obafemi who will take chances and link with ferguson but won't run the channels and work back as well as ogbene. I'd fear that that awful concept in prifesdional sport of loyalty will come into it and the team who played so well against France will be rewarded by starting again despite the requirements for the Greek game been very different I.e. get on the front foot get out of the low block and play in their half to create chances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Greece are at about Georgia's level. We know it's not easy to go to Georgia but we expect to win. Let's not start talking up Greece or saying 20 degrees is too hot for our players. How many of their side would get into our team? Not many. We not only should be winning this game and getting 6 points in June but we have to get 6 points if we want to qualify.
    Greece are not at Georgia's level.

20 degrees in Greece in June is absolute bull****. The average daily minimum in June is 21 degrees in Athens (per https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/greece/athens). That's the temperature you'd expect shortly before dawn. Average max is 30. Arguing that those temperatures won't affect a team not used to them is crap. Doherty and Johnston aside, our players don't routinely play in those temperatures.

You're winding people up with this stuff, and need to better distinguish opinion and fact in your posts, or you're going to start accumulating infractions.

12. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

The premier league is stronger than those leagues you mention for the Greek team.

It's true though, we're at a low ranking because of very poor results under this management.

My research told me that their players are mostly playing in average enough leagues. Friendly results don't really matter anymore. They drew with Malta and Lithuania recently but I wouldn't read anything into that. Same with friendly results against Belgium and Norway. The Swedish result was very good as was the draw with Spain. I mentioned the good results in my post but also that they've mostly been playing weak enough teams.

Greece beat Georgia away with two injury time goals and it was a draw between them in Greece. I'd say that puts them close enough. The injury time goals were the difference between them in the group. Fairly even.

Not every game is a must win. If we get home victories, I think a draw away to Holland could do us along with Greece and Gibraltar wins. I've said it's going to be tough to beat Greece but we have nothing to fear. We'd be very disappointed not to win against teams like this in the past and that hasn't changed.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Greece are not at Georgia's level.

20 degrees in Greece in June is absolute bull****. The average daily minimum in June is 21 degrees in Athens (per https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/greece/athens). That's the temperature you'd expect shortly before dawn. Average max is 30. Arguing that those temperatures won't affect a team not used to them is crap. Doherty and Johnston aside, our players don't routinely play in those temperatures.

You're winding people up with this stuff, and need to better distinguish opinion and fact in your posts, or you're going to start accumulating infractions.
    But the game isn't on in the day? I've been to Greece in the summer, I found the evenings lovely. But I never played a match when I was there so maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not winding people up, I asked was I wrong that the game is at 9:45. At that time the temperature should be under 20, even at 8:45 it won't be too bad. I was going on what I remember from being there but I looked up a few websites there now and they all say similar. Even your link says it goes down to 16 degrees at night time at the start of June. So a bit higher by mid June. Am I reading this all wrong? I'd be happy to admit it if so.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Even your link says it goes down to 16 degrees at night time at the start of June. So a bit higher by mid June. Am I reading this all wrong? I'd be happy to admit it if so.[/QUOTE]
    You are. The table clearly says average minimum in June is 21. You're looking at May.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You are. The table clearly says average minimum in June is 21. You're looking at May.
    I'm talking about at night. Lower down on that page it says the following for June:

On the coldest nights, which normally occur at the beginning of the month, the temperature usually drops to around 16 °C (60.5 °F). However, it dropped to 12.8 °C (55 °F) in June 1991.

That's the beginning of the month so probably a bit hotter by mid June. The game is on at 9:45. It could be between 18 and 20 degrees?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Why are you talking about the coldest nights at the start of the month? Or a night in 1991?

If you're picking extremes to back your case, you've a bad case.

On 16th June last year at 9:45pm at the airport weather station in Athens, it was 24C - https://www.wunderground.com/history...date/2022-6-16. Previous years were similar; within a couple of degrees.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Why are you talking about the coldest nights at the start of the month? Or a night in 1991?

If you're picking extremes to back your case, you've a bad case.

On 16th June last year at 9:45pm at the airport weather station in Athens, it was 24C - https://www.wunderground.com/history...date/2022-6-16. Previous years were similar; within a couple of degrees.
    Why so argumentative? We're just trying to figure out the conditions for the match in June here.

I'm not posting extremes, I copied and pasted exactly what it said for nighttime in June on John83's link. And then asked would it be 2 to 4 degrees higher by mid June. I'm not making a case for anything, just stating that I don't think it would be too bad at night to play a match. Everything I looked up said it'll be 20 degrees or a little bit under in June at nighttime. Your link says it'll be a couple of degrees higher at the airport during match time. Fair enough, we've figured it could be between 19 and 24 degrees for the match.

Some might think that's too hot, I think the players will be well able to handle it. No big deal. I'm sure everyone's bored with the weather updates now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    At that time the temperature should be under 20 [...] Even your link says it goes down to 16 degrees at night time at the start of June. So a bit higher by mid June. Am I reading this all wrong? I'd be happy to admit it if so.
    So much for this anyway.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    . Friendly results don't really matter anymore. They drew with Malta and Lithuania recently but I wouldn't read anything into that. .
    Damn sure you’d read plenty into it if it was Ireland getting those results though. Still, good to see that you agree it will be tough to get a win there, which is all anyone is saying. I’m not reading anyone saying we can’t win it, or that we shouldn’t be targeting a win.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

22. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    So much for this anyway.
    People were talking about it being 30 degrees. That's what I was disagreeing with. We've figured it won't be. John's link was saying it was 16 degrees at night at the start of June. Yours says it's higher at the start of June and in mid June. I wasn't reading it wrong but if it makes you happy I can say I was wrong? It really doesn't matter.

It's an internet discussion board. People disagree on things, have different points of view etc. Not everything has to be a heated argument. Some people seem to take others having an opposing view personally. Some were saying they don't want to post anymore, there was one fella who came on to put all 'anti Kenny' supporters back in their box. He ended up basically saying 'your mum'.

I just don't get it. Why the bitterness? We all want what's best for Ireland, we just think there's different ways of going about it. I understand I might overstate my point sometimes, I apologise for that. I don't mean any harm by it. Like John83 said, put me on ignore if I'm annoying you but don't stop posting or start throwing insults. It's a discussion forum on a topic we all love. Enjoy it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Damn sure you’d read plenty into it if it was Ireland getting those results though. Still, good to see that you agree it will be tough to get a win there, which is all anyone is saying. I’m not reading anyone saying we can’t win it, or that we shouldn’t be targeting a win.
    No, friendlies should be about trying new players or different tactical things. The Latvia game last week didn't interest me, even if we lost. I didn't care about the results of the friendlies last November, only that it was a missed opportunity to try things. I've said from the start that Greece away will be tough. And it will be but I can't remember a time where we ever had it easy playing away to teams like this. Or most teams let's be honest. But there are people saying that 4 points from Greece will be acceptable. It's not because it more than likely means we won't be qualifying for the Euros.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast