Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2024 Qualifying Group B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    The issue is, how likely are the FAI to appoint the right type of manager or the right manager at all, maybe 20%

There’s a clip in RTE somewhere after the October 2013 window where they interviewed people leaving the stadium, everyone was picking either Martin O’Neill or Roy Keane to be the manager and I got interviewed and said Marcelo Bielsa (who was out of work since that summer) and talked about the worked he’d done with the Chile, playing attractive football, bringing through young players and getting them out of the groups at the World Cup. Bielsa would have been cheaper than MON too. I’ve often wondered what if…

I have very little faith in the FAI picking the right next manager.
    I remember that.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    That line has been repeated so often by Kenny supporters. It's not a choice between Kenny and hoofball managers. It's possible to get results while playing a progressive style. You just have to have a competent manager. Kenny has failed that test up to now but he said after the Luxembourg defeat that Euro 2024 was the actual aim. The time has come to put up or shut up. Let's hope he turns this around.
    If only it was that easy - thin of the (probably) close to billions of Euro clubs could save hiring and firing. Sometimes teams need to be built on time and graft, no money to buy a team i iternational forward or ye dont have a golden generation that happen to come through together.

Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I wish there was the opposite of a Thanks button for when people post straw man nonsense like this.
    You think Trap rated Irish footballers, trusted his own players, didnt allow any freedom, didnt tactically use some very good attacking players eg Duff. M'ON stories of limited trainig methods, no set piece prep, general sense of lacking any tactic bar sitting deep and playing for, ironically, a set-piece hoping for a breaking ball to give a chance rather than creating. It is my opinion of course too, so I'm indifferent to the strawman argument, but pose your own angle eg Trapattoni wasnt a football snob.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Greece and Lithuania played out a 0-0 in a friendly earlier. Took a look at the stats and looks like Greece dominated possession and overall 26 shots (5 on target) to 3 (2 on target).

https://www.besoccer.com/match/selec...nia/2023745779

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It is imperative that we get a result in athens. If we dont the positives of last night dissipate.
    Id take a draw, but we should be looking for more possibly.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    A minimum of four points gives us the best possible chance of finishing ahead of Greece. Anything less means we'll need to make up the difference against the Netherlands.
    The Dutch don't look the strongest at the number, but they will improve.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    A minimum of four points gives us the best possible chance of finishing ahead of Greece. Anything less means we'll need to make up the difference against the Netherlands.
    The Dutch don't look the strongest at the number, but they will improve.
    If we want to have a right stab at this group I think we need to aim for 6 point in the summer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    Having taken nothing last night, if we don't get the six off Greece we can forget about finishing ahead of the Netherlands I think. We also need to take the Greeks out of contention entirely, as they have the advantage of playing France at home in their last game, by which point France will have almost certainly already qualified and won't be overly bothered about that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post

You think Trap rated Irish footballers, trusted his own players, didnt allow any freedom, didnt tactically use some very good attacking players eg Duff. M'ON stories of limited trainig methods, no set piece prep, general sense of lacking any tactic bar sitting deep and playing for, ironically, a set-piece hoping for a breaking ball to give a chance rather than creating. It is my opinion of course too, so I'm indifferent to the strawman argument, but pose your own angle eg Trapattoni wasnt a football snob.
    No, I take issue with your (and others) insinuation that the only alternative to Kenny is a MON or Trap type. It's trying to reduce the argument to two distinct options, when in reality there are numerous other possibilities between those two extremes.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    not really sure how kenny can get criticism for that. there were poorer performances under him where we got results against teams below frances level. not to mind some brutal sub choices in games. tactically we got it spot on tbh. finally using ogbene as a runner in behind and not a target man then he doubled up as an extra wing back against mbappe who was very quiet. as ever the litmus test is against the likes of greece but last night showed we can go toe to toe with the best.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Having taken nothing last night, if we don't get the six off Greece we can forget about finishing ahead of the Netherlands I think. We also need to take the Greeks out of contention entirely, as they have the advantage of playing France at home in their last game, by which point France will have almost certainly already qualified and won't be overly bothered about that game.

No, I take issue with your (and others) insinuation that the only alternative to Kenny is a MON or Trap type. It's trying to reduce the argument to two distinct options, when in reality there are numerous other possibilities between those two extremes.
    In a normal qualifying group 4 points from Greece and Gibraltar would do during the summer but in THIS group we need to get every last point that we can possibly get if we want to even give us ourselves a shot at qualifying.

The view from me is 6 points from Greec and Gibraltar and then 3 at home to the Netherlands and then see what we can do in Amsterdam (it’s the final game I believe so it’s a free hit). It’s not impossible to get a point in Paris but I believe that’s the sort of game where literally anything bar a bad defeat isn’t terrible.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    The play offs are our realistic hope of qualifying..

We need all 15 path A teams to qualify, and 3 path B teams..

And we'll get a place

Wales and Austria could be the key for us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Thats a fair point, I did pick the extremes to frame the original point I was making and there is of course the middle ground. I think it would be foolish and not cheap to replace the current management team especially when there is no obvious current plan b, names that have been dropped are no gauranteed upgrade, simply a fans opinion. The only reason to go for a plan b is if you are hiring a name like, for example, Trap or MON. I want every Irish manager to be a success, I'd like to think I also see a bigger picture, one being that if Guardiola was appointed he would limited by the players he can pick and hence would have to take time to develop and build a team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    The play offs are our realistic hope of qualifying..

We need all 15 path A teams to qualify, and 3 path B teams..

And we'll get a place

Wales and Austria could be the key for us
    Sorry to ask but if say Turkey qualify direct - what happens to their place in the League C playoffs?

Worth mentioning that Greece are assured a playoff also.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 28/03/2023 at 10:13 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    It goes to another League C team. No use to us and means someone else takes a B playoff spot ahead of us.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    It goes to another League C team. No use to us and means someone else takes a B playoff spot ahead of us.
    Thanks. Interesting in that its Luxemburg who are ranked 5th and would be in line for a PO Spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    In a normal qualifying group 4 points from Greece and Gibraltar would do during the summer but in THIS group we need to get every last point that we can possibly get if we want to even give us ourselves a shot at qualifying.

The view from me is 6 points from Greec and Gibraltar and then 3 at home to the Netherlands and then see what we can do in Amsterdam (it’s the final game I believe so it’s a free hit). It’s not impossible to get a point in Paris but I believe that’s the sort of game where literally anything bar a bad defeat isn’t terrible.
    What we need I think is to at least match the Dutch results against Greece, and probably need to beat them here, or draw here and in Holland. That should bring it close to the wire. Paris is probably a write off, but you never know. Not sure when that is, but it might depend on how France are fixed in the group at the time. Hopefully the French will win in Holland too.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Thanks. Interesting in that its Luxemburg who are ranked 5th and would be in line for a PO Spot.
    Yep, they'll get a Path C spot..

As of right now, at half time in the current tables, we'd miss out on a play off by 1 spot

But that's assuming ourselves or Holland don't pass out Greece

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    If Scotland and Ukraine qualify directly, do we take the playoff spot in our nations league group?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Scotland 2 up on Spain and could be more,Spain made 9 changes from their win against Norway and it’s not turning out very well for them…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Nope, it's goes on position in Path B, not on each individual group.. we're 10th in Path B so unless 6 ahead of us qualify directly.. we won't get a place

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Nope, it's goes on position in Path B, not on each individual group.. we're 10th in Path B so unless 6 ahead of us qualify directly.. we won't get a place
    Thanks for that!

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast