Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 81

Thread: LoI Matches Friday 30th Sept - Monday 3rd October 2022.

  1. #61
    First Team TonyD's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Planet Football
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    196
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    329
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Not a great game last night at Casey's Field, not even sure we were value for 2-0 lead at HT, a peno and a crazy OG that Massey got the last touch for.

    Still its 3 points, hard worked too, chances of finishing 3rd increasing with 5 games to go (and 5 points clear) with 3 of them at home, but would think we will need to get a result next Fri at home to Pats to keep hopes intact.

    Unless Sligo beat Rovers tonight, that's 4th almost guaranteed now as even if we lose last 5, Bohs / Sligo would need to win same 5 and overturn GD swing of 20 / 17 respectively, so its 90% confirmed now.

    However that's entering the hoping favours scene, looking for Derry win the cup..............3rd spot is the target to avoid all that stress and 3 more wins will hopefully get that.
    You really got a massive favour with the bonus 3 points from Sligo (and yeah, I?m aware that Pats could have been deducted the points from the Shels game, but we still have to play it and win the points.) If Pats don?t win our next two games then I don?t see us catching Dundalk.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

  2. #62
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    616
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    443
    Thanked in
    343 Posts
    I would still think the race for 3rd will be very tight, a lot will depend on this Friday, Dundalk v Pats, we def need a result, but home form has kept us in 3rd.

    As for Sligo bonus 3 points, absolutely a massive favour, awarded in a period when we couldn't win a single game!
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

  3. #63
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    616
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    443
    Thanked in
    343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I watched the Rovers 4 in a row team and the nearest this team came to them was the 2020 shortened season when if the season had been the full length with Jack at that time in his pomp we would have won the league by a record MArgin rather than simply winning it easily as we did.
    They were unlucky to draw AC Milan in Europe also that season.
    Tonights performance against Sligo reminded me of some of the football from that year and hopefully we can keep it up from here.
    We havent had JAck and Burke for virtually the full season which gives me hope for next year if we can close this year out.
    Almost two new signings if they both start the season fit.

    I remember that team well, to be fair they were outstanding, 3 cups too thrown in, but what made them a little different to the Dundalk 2014-2019 era was their lack of progress in europe, not sure they advanced past one round, lost to Linfield also (away goals) 1984 I think?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

  4. #64
    Apprentice Peaky Blinder's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I remember that team well, to be fair they were outstanding, 3 cups too thrown in, but what made them a little different to the Dundalk 2014-2019 era was their lack of progress in europe, not sure they advanced past one round, lost to Linfield also (away goals) 1984 I think?
    To be fair, that was back in the days of the old European cup. No easier preliminary rounds and an open draw for all 32 teams, 2 unfortunate draws v Celtic & Honved were we fought gamefully but ran out of steam. That Honved side were a lot better than people realised. They didn't go far themselves in the tournament but had 4 or 5 hungarian internationals in the side (Detari being one of them, what a player he was)
    The Linfield tie was the real one that got away, a solid 0-0 in Belfast and we simply left it too late to get going in the return game at Milltown, which had one of the strangest atmospheres I can remember at a Rovers match. We were by far the better team but just couldn't get the winner on the day.
    The last year n Omonia Nicosia we were in a state of flux having just left Milltown and playing out of Tolka with the fans boycott underway... the heart had been ripped from the team at that stage and it was just another nail in the coffin before the rebuild started in Dalymount the year after.
    For me they were the best footballing side in the league I've ever seen, Kenny's Dundalk were incredibly effective, better at the dark arts and fitter though, I'll give them that, but for pure footballing ability the 4IAR team were untouchable. They just blew sides away, never more than in the big games too, they loved an occasion.
    I'd rate Bradleys Rovers as second to them in my lifetime, MON's team were more like Kenny's Dundalk, fit, effective & gave little away at the back but less pleasing on the eye, when Bradleys team play to their strengths there's few that can live with them domestically, the slow erosion of the team will mean they are more vulnerable as time progresses however & with a stronger, wealthier Derry coming up fast it'll be a huge challenge staying head of them next year, thats assuming they haven't already done so by winning it this year, which they definitely still can. The title is far from being decided as I can see Derry winning all of their remaining games in the run in which puts huge pressure on Rovers to win at least 4 of their 5.

  5. #65
    International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longford, Ireland
    Posts
    5,218
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,691
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    903
    Thanked in
    769 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky Blinder View Post
    To be fair, that was back in the days of the old European cup. No easier preliminary rounds and an open draw for all 32 teams, 2 unfortunate draws v Celtic & Honved were we fought gamefully but ran out of steam. That Honved side were a lot better than people realised. They didn't go far themselves in the tournament but had 4 or 5 hungarian internationals in the side (Detari being one of them, what a player he was)
    The Linfield tie was the real one that got away, a solid 0-0 in Belfast and we simply left it too late to get going in the return game at Milltown, which had one of the strangest atmospheres I can remember at a Rovers match. We were by far the better team but just couldn't get the winner on the day.
    The last year n Omonia Nicosia we were in a state of flux having just left Milltown and playing out of Tolka with the fans boycott underway... the heart had been ripped from the team at that stage and it was just another nail in the coffin before the rebuild started in Dalymount the year after.
    For me they were the best footballing side in the league I've ever seen, Kenny's Dundalk were incredibly effective, better at the dark arts and fitter though, I'll give them that, but for pure footballing ability the 4IAR team were untouchable. They just blew sides away, never more than in the big games too, they loved an occasion.
    I'd rate Bradleys Rovers as second to them in my lifetime, MON's team were more like Kenny's Dundalk, fit, effective & gave little away at the back but less pleasing on the eye, when Bradleys team play to their strengths there's few that can live with them domestically, the slow erosion of the team will mean they are more vulnerable as time progresses however & with a stronger, wealthier Derry coming up fast it'll be a huge challenge staying head of them next year, thats assuming they haven't already done so by winning it this year, which they definitely still can. The title is far from being decided as I can see Derry winning all of their remaining games in the run in which puts huge pressure on Rovers to win at least 4 of their 5.
    You can't be comparing Kenny's Dundalk to MON's Rovers? That Dundalk team played brilliant football and showed it in Europe. MON'S Rovers were very direct and effective but not overly pleasing on the eye.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

  6. #66
    Apprentice Peaky Blinder's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    You can't be comparing Kenny's Dundalk to MON's Rovers? That Dundalk team played brilliant football and showed it in Europe. MON'S Rovers were very direct and effective but not overly pleasing on the eye.
    I was saying that MON's team weren't as easy on the eye as the 4IAR were. MON's Rovers were harder to breakdown and less fluid, that's an attribute I'd have associated with Kennys Dundalk. I meant it in a positive way not a slight on them. Dundalk may have played some decent attacking football but they were nowhere near as pleasing on the eye as the 4IAR team.

  7. #67
    First Team TonyD's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Planet Football
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    196
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    329
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky Blinder View Post
    To be fair, that was back in the days of the old European cup. No easier preliminary rounds and an open draw for all 32 teams, 2 unfortunate draws v Celtic & Honved were we fought gamefully but ran out of steam.
    A very fair point about the old European cup. Was much harder for a Irish sides to do anything in Europe in those days. Not only were you in with the big boys from the off, the scene wasn?t as fragmented, so you just wouldn?t get the kinder draws that Irish teams by and large get today.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

  8. #68
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    616
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    443
    Thanked in
    343 Posts
    Yes fair point on the old EC, in 1976 we faced PSV, in 79 we got lucky, Linfield (then again) then Hibs of Malta, then Celtic, in 1982 it was Liverpool who were serial EC winners of the period.

    Fast forward to 1988 it was Ajax, so in that 4 season period we drew the champions of Holland twice, England once and a Celtic team that just lost 3-2 to Real M in the QF next game on agg so not exactly easy runs for any Irish side at the time.

    The ECWC was as unkind, drew Spurs in 1981 fresh from their classic 4-0 replay win over Man City the previous season, how we held them to 1-1 draw in Oriel and only 0-1 in WHL was incredible.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

  9. #69
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,866
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    220
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Cracking entertainment in the game at Tolka pk. Can't make up my mind who I want to win..

  10. #70
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    461
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    387
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Cotter is such an enigma. Has everything in his locker to be playing at a much higher level. Maybe he just needs a season or two of regular game time to fix his concentration/motivation issues. Or you just take the good with the bad.
    20 leagues and 25 cups.

  11. #71
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,866
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    220
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Shocking offside decision to deny pats making it 3:3..

  12. #72
    Seasoned Pro joey B's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    2,514
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    203
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    307
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    4-4 in this game now,just the 3 second half penalties!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

  13. #73
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,523
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    172
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    771
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Sorry I didn't sign up for this one. My inherent dislike for shels has me chearing for pats

  14. #74
    First Team TonyD's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Planet Football
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    196
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    329
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Mad game. We really needed the 3 points but after going behind three times, and then 4-2, I thought we were dead and buried. A point gained in the end I suppose, but Dundalk will be happy.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

  15. #75
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    831
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    221
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    165
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    2 woeful defensive performances from Pats and Shels tonight. Just the 8 goals, 3 disallowed goals, manager red card, player red card, own goal and 3 penalties for some Monday night entertainment Haven?t seen anything back but Doyle's second disallowed goal looked well onside from behind the goal, he actually was behind the defender chasing the ball and then got in just ahead of him and finished well. Cracking free kick at 4-4 too that smashed the post, would?ve been a great win for pats. Win or bust in Oriel on Friday now
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  16. #76
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    170
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    38
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Yep, plenty of screenshots on Twitter showing Doyle was well onside when the pass was played. Frustrating to be done by poor officiating but even more frustrating to gift Shels all four goals. Though they?ll probably feel the same about ours.

  17. #77
    Reserves Jack B's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    622
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    124
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    It was an absolutely preposterous game. I was so baffled by it than entertained.

  18. #78
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    831
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    221
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    165
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    It was an absolutely preposterous game. I was so baffled by it than entertained.
    Yeah bizarre stuff, errors all over the shop. Ive already mentioned how bad both defences were but I don’t think pats played well at all going forward either yet scored 4 deserved goals away from home and should’ve had more. Such a strange game of football
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  19. #79
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    4,081
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    616
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    443
    Thanked in
    343 Posts
    Got a text from a mate the game was available from 'hesgoal' perfect stream for free, and a really enjoyable and bonus for a Monday night, saw 3/4 of the game.

    Mental stuff really, Shels 4-2 up then 4-4 with two pens conceded the first was hillarious, a blatant shove, silly stuff really.

    Doyle looked onside to me for his goal ruled out.

    Should be a tasty affair on friday night, you would think Pats have to win, Dundalk probably need to avoid defeat, but a win for us puts a gap of 7 points between the 2, each with 4 left to play, I'd think it will be a draw.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

  20. #80
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    838
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    276
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    200
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Not a perfect game of football last night but definitely more the type of entertaining games the LOI needs in a cagey Premier Division

    It looked to me Duff let Shels off the attacking leash last night with safety secured following the Harps game on Friday, definitely our most fearless performance of the season which resulted in defensive shortcomings becoming more evident, he is still figuring out the squad grappling with injuries and developing young players so it's all work in-progress stuff. Questionable decisions went against both teams last night probably evened itself out in the end, don't think both teams can really complain over the draw
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LOI fixtures - Friday 22nd Sept to Monday 25th Sept
    By ToberonaTornado in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 27/09/2017, 3:55 PM
  2. LOI final round of matches - 30th October
    By Dunny in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02/11/2015, 8:54 PM
  3. Matches 30/31 Aug & 3 Sept
    By oriel in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 07/06/2014, 1:31 AM
  4. Pro Evo 5 in a pub 4!!! 30th Sept
    By kdjaC in forum St Patrick's Athletic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11/10/2006, 3:46 PM
  5. Pro Evo 5 in a pub 4!!! 30th Sept
    By kdjaC in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22/09/2006, 7:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •