Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LoI Matches Friday 30th Sept - Monday 3rd October 2022.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Not a great game last night at Casey's Field, not even sure we were value for 2-0 lead at HT, a peno and a crazy OG that Massey got the last touch for.

Still its 3 points, hard worked too, chances of finishing 3rd increasing with 5 games to go (and 5 points clear) with 3 of them at home, but would think we will need to get a result next Fri at home to Pats to keep hopes intact.

Unless Sligo beat Rovers tonight, that's 4th almost guaranteed now as even if we lose last 5, Bohs / Sligo would need to win same 5 and overturn GD swing of 20 / 17 respectively, so its 90% confirmed now.

However that's entering the hoping favours scene, looking for Derry win the cup..............3rd spot is the target to avoid all that stress and 3 more wins will hopefully get that.
    Last edited by oriel; 01/10/2022 at 3:37 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    If we don't beat sligo tonight I think we are done and dusted. The team look jaded and I can't even remember the last time we looked good. 3 points needed and we kightbstumble over the line. Derry look ominous and on current form will win in tallaght , we need to be 4 points clear before that game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    If we don't beat sligo tonight I think we are done and dusted. The team look jaded and I can't even remember the last time we looked good. 3 points needed and we kightbstumble over the line. Derry look ominous and on current form will win in tallaght , we need to be 4 points clear before that game.
    Agreed. We need a complete turnaround in form and I don't see where it's coming from at the moment. Maybe Jack will spark....but he's actually holding us back lately.

Derry are on league winning form. Beating Pats last night was massive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    2-0 now for Sham Rovers, should be home and dry now for the run in.

Bigger challenges lie ahead next season in the shape of Derry less so from Dundalk but we are in re-build mode, Europe is our aim for the next few seasons.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Done and dusted now, Sligo with a spineless showing, hoops in auto mode tonight, no contest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Don?t look too jaded out there tonight. Running around like lunatics. Totally outclassed although don?t know how we didn?t get a penalty at the end of the half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    I hope Sligo are better next week
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Don?t look too jaded out there tonight. Running around like lunatics. Totally outclassed although don?t know how we didn?t get a penalty at the end of the half.
    Different Hoops tonight.. Best performance in ages? helps having Byrne ( or Jack Football as N?Do refers to him on commentary) looking like he?d almost recovered from his bout of imposter syndrome and also Burke. Looking match fit?. Agree we got a break not conceding a peno?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Derry really need to win all 5 now and hope Rovers lose 2 of their 5. Yes one of those losses they could inflict themselves in the game in Tallaght. Stranger things have happened but it would be some achievement to win it from here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Is any one else seeing ? instead of ? in the content of posts? And yes I meant that last question mark.

Yup, an apostrophe is appearing as a question mark in posts.
    Last edited by ger121; 01/10/2022 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Eureka

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Really,

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Is any one else seeing ? instead of ? in the content of posts? And yes I meant that last question mark.

Yup, an apostrophe is appearing as a question mark in posts.
    An impostraphe.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Best performance in ages driven by Jack Byrne. 2 of the 3 goals down to him and he looked like the old jack. Hopefully he finishes out the season like this

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    That's why we're Champions, and that's why we'll stay Champions. When we play like that, with that intensity and workrate, there isn't another team on this league even remotely near us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Well apart from winning a double in this era (2015 and 2018..................Cork also in 2017) or winning the cup and qualifying for group stage same season (2020), first time ever done by LOI team. Plenty of teams that are more than remotely close, and Derry will be neck and neck next year in my view.

Rovers will win the league, no doubt about that, best team this season, but I don't think it will be a team to remember in years to come, and to balance it, I`m old enough to remember the superb Rovers teams during the 84-87 era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Well apart from winning a double in this era (2015 and 2018..................Cork also in 2017) or winning the cup and qualifying for group stage same season (2020), first time ever done by LOI team. Plenty of teams that are more than remotely close, and Derry will be neck and neck next year in my view.

Rovers will win the league, no doubt about that, best team this season, but I don't think it will be a team to remember in years to come, and to balance it, I`m old enough to remember the superb Rovers teams during the 84-87 era.
    In the pantheon of many great Rovers sides over the decades this team won?t be regarded as being as good as the 80?s 4 in a row side ( unless they win 5in a row )

However for all the kids and youngsters particularly in the South Stand they will be regarded by them highly in years to come?

why ? Because this is the side they?ve grown up win not some side from the 80s that to them is ancient history !! The wonderful thing about Rovers is that every generation we produce a great team and this one belongs to the current generation

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Wtf are you on about? 😅 What has all that got to do with this current Rovers team?
    I'm not making comparisons with previous league winners, but saying Rovers are way ahead of the current teams in the league. Surely even you can understand that, no?
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I watched the Rovers 4 in a row team and the nearest this team came to them was the 2020 shortened season when if the season had been the full length with Jack at that time in his pomp we would have won the league by a record MArgin rather than simply winning it easily as we did.
    They were unlucky to draw AC Milan in Europe also that season.
    Tonights performance against Sligo reminded me of some of the football from that year and hopefully we can keep it up from here.
    We havent had JAck and Burke for virtually the full season which gives me hope for next year if we can close this year out.
    Almost two new signings if they both start the season fit.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I watched the Rovers 4 in a row team and the nearest this team came to them was the 2020 shortened season when if the season had been the full length with Jack at that time in his pomp we would have won the league by a record MArgin rather than simply winning it easily as we did.
    Tonights performance against Sligo reminded me of some of the football from that year and hopefully we can keep it up from here.
    We havent had JAck and Burke for virtually the full season which gives me hope for next year if we can close this year out.
    Rovers a joy to watch last night even if Sligo were dogsh!t
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Yeah that's how I'd see it now. The 2020 version was better than the next best Rovers team I saw, which was MONs. I wasn't old enough to remember the 4 in a row team.

Remember Pat Hoban came out and claimed Dundalk would have caught us with a full 36 games? He was absolutely correct. I added up Dundalks next 18 games worth of points and they did surpass Rovers winning points total. By a single point. Now you had to discount Rovers next 18 games for it to work but still...It was a great team. Maybe we didn't have great opponents but I'd have put that team up against Dundalks best team no problem. And that Dundalk side is the best I've seen. No point denying that! They were unreal.

The current side isn't at that level for me but they almost looked it last night. Some of the football was top class. Sligo weren't great at all but we also played with more energy and tempo that we have for a long time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast