Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI Matches Friday 30th Sept - Monday 3rd October 2022.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Derek Tomney is pure evil.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Cup game aside, that?s 3 wins in 4 under Detser. 3 clean sheets too. Only loss was 1-0 away to Derry. We are still awful to watch, but I would not be surprised if we keep this ?form? up that Pender gets the gig.
    I thought Bohs were decent tonight actually. It was only 1-0 but could easily have been 3/4 only for some very good saves.
    Looks like Bohs might be finding some form. McDaid looked decent and Clarke and Murphy showed some good stuff at times. A fairly solid performance I would say. Only thing was the keeper Ryan looked a bit shakey with the ball a couple of times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    First half Derry battered us without really creating anything clear cut that I could tell from where I was, then McEleney went off at HT and despite him playing out on the right they were a completely different and less dominant team second half. Naturally for Pats though that's when they then got their goal, but I found it strange all the same.

On the balance of the second half it feels harsh to lose but I probably would feel differently had Derry scored in the first 45.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Burt starts on the bench at Dalymount. Can't understand why he isn't an automatic starter. I hope it's not because there are rumours he'll leave in the off season. That would be daft imho.
    He's been injured on and off all season. Missed the Harps game last week and was ruled out of the game tonight in the previews so it was a surprise to see him come off the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Looking at the fixtures 1 point from the last 2 home games won’t cut it,we battled tonight but probably should have lost,our most dangerous player went off injured in the first 15 minutes aswell ,so it’s a point but not much to cheer you up….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I have no complaint about the result in Richmond. Derry took their chance on a breakaway very well, we had far better chances not taken (albeit one was cleared off the line and one hit the post).
    I do have a complaint about the allocation of the referee to this game. It was clear for weeks that this would be a high stakes game. It deserved a competent referee. Everyone who watches games in our league knows that there are three categories of ref - good ones, bad ones and Derek Tomney. The mayhem in the last ten minutes was a direct result of his incompetence.
    Last edited by patsdad; 30/09/2022 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Typos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Yeah for what it's worth the officiating was terrible for both sides tonight. I never really bother to care about it at this stage but I was even laughing at decisions we were getting at times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Yeah for what it's worth the officiating was terrible for both sides tonight. I never really bother to care about it at this stage but I was even laughing at decisions we were getting at times.
    I don't know, it was strange. He let lots of strong tackles go that would normally be given, which I liked, and probably it helped the game. Then he would give yellows for fouls that didn't really deserve them.
    The craic at the end, no complaints. Graydon was acting the mouth. His first yellow was absolutely deserved. He didn't do much for the second, but he did seem to try and wind up Forrester. Forrester should have known better and just let it go. Utterly pointless nonsense from the pair of them with literally five seconds to go.
    Forrester probably could have seen red earlier for his kick, which was only a yellow.

On the rest of the game, we were decent in the first half, but, as is often the case, couldn't turn possession into goals. Second was much more even, and a lovely strike from Kavanagh sealed it. Could have gone either way really, so delighted with the win.

As an aside, still not sure what I think about Cotter. He is very lively going forward, but he is liable to leaving himself away from his man at the back. Maybe he'd work better with a five at the back formation?
    Is he away back to Rovers at the end of the season?
    His throws are an asset, mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    I don't know, it was strange. He let lots of strong tackles go that would normally be given, which I liked, and probably it helped the game. Then he would give yellows for fouls that didn't really deserve them.
    The craic at the end, no complaints. Graydon was acting the mouth. His first yellow was absolutely deserved. He didn't do much for the second, but he did seem to try and wind up Forrester. Forrester should have known better and just let it go. Utterly pointless nonsense from the pair of them with literally five seconds to go.
    Forrester probably could have seen red earlier for his kick, which was only a yellow.

On the rest of the game, we were decent in the first half, but, as is often the case, couldn't turn possession into goals. Second was much more even, and a lovely strike from Kavanagh sealed it. Could have gone either way really, so delighted with the win.

As an aside, still not sure what I think about Cotter. He is very lively going forward, but he is liable to leaving himself away from his man at the back. Maybe he'd work better with a five at the back formation?
    I couldn't believe Forrester wasn't given a straight red for the kick to be honest. I was on the terrace the other side so possibly it wasn't as bad as it seemed but it was so blatant with no attempt to play the ball I was stunned it wasn't pulled up. The situation for the red was daft, obviously something was said by Graydon but if nothing else I'd have liked Forrester's teammates removing him from the situation which didn't happen at all.

Cotter has been amazingly hit and miss with no in between. Definitely suits the wing back position in a back 3/5 which tbf we have been playing outside of when chasing the game tonight. Given his pace/physicality I'd like to keep him but who knows what Rovers have in mind for him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Do we? Sorry to come across all negative, but I simply can't believe there is a title race. I'd be more concerned with looking at the teams behind us.
    I think it's vital we don't lose tonight. If we did, Pat's would be four points behind us, with a game in hand. If Dundalk beat Drogs, that would be them two points behind us. The chances of us finishing third/fourth seem much greater than the chances of us finishing first.
    I wish had seen this earlier as now looks like aftertiming but gone catch yourself on you clown of course a title challenge is a long shot (even after victory) but how would we not have to go for the win in the situation?. Dear jaysus like? at this stage of season haven?t won the league in 25 years and probably won?t this year either but we have half a chance and you think we should be avoiding defeat gone away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Comfortable 3 1 win for Waterford last night in front of a big crowd. Raul Uche scored after good play from Roland Idowu to set him up. Phoenix Patterson scored a brilliant free kick for the 2nd week in a row. The management made a few changes to starting team and used all his subs so is trying to keep players fresh for busy end of season. Wassim Aouchria came on and got the 3rd and Cobh got a consolation goal in last 10 minutes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Can't see cotter coming back to Rovers next season, he dirtied his bib somewhat whilst there.
    Not especially confident about Rovers winning up in Sligo tonight, as this will the only thing sligo have left now before seasons end - can't see the making Europe anyway. Bradleys team selection will be interesting, the team needs a shot of adrenaline from somewhere it appears. A draw may have to do and with derry knocking out the wins there most certainly is a title race.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts

He did/does play in a five at the back formation. Brockbank, Redmond and Grovosti are the 3 centre halves while Cotter and Breslin (last night Curtis due to Breslin's suspension) are the wingbacks
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    cotter isnt good enough for rovers, no chance they'll want him as a first choice option. hes average as it gets, fairly athletic but not much outside of that. reminds me of colm horgan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    cotter isnt good enough for rovers, no chance they'll want him as a first choice option. hes average as it gets, fairly athletic but not much outside of that. reminds me of colm horgan.
    If he could improve his decision making he would be a good player. He has a habit of picking out the wrong ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Shelbourne are a dreadfully boring team to watch. It's like that Simpsons football skit, "half back passes to the centre, out to the wing, back to the centre", rinse and repeat. They had about 70% possession, and it was almost entirely just passing it back and forward among their backline before attempting a long ball up front.

Harps are going to struggle. We all know that much already. In this respect, every point on the board is important, and it could have been three only for a big Brendan Clarke save late on. Likewise, McKeown in the Harps goal made a number of big saves too, although he'll be very disappointed with Shels goal.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    He's been injured on and off all season. Missed the Harps game last week and was ruled out of the game tonight in the previews so it was a surprise to see him come off the bench.
    Ah ok I didn't know he was carrying knocks. Fair enough so.
    McDaid is starting to show some real quality on the wing anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    What happened at the end of the Pats/Derry game? Just seeing the rake of yellows and red cards….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    What happened at the end of the Pats/Derry game? Just seeing the rake of yellows and red cards?.
    I think the referee lost control of the game and it allowed bad blood to build until it just all went off at the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    What happened at the end of the Pats/Derry game? Just seeing the rake of yellows and red cards?.
    After the two sendings off the trouble continued down into the tunnel. I sit beside the wall at the directors box, so could se a bit of it. Lots of bodies piling in, pushing and shoving etc.one Derry player had a Pats player in a headlock (think it was Grivosti but I wasn?t sure - he had squared up to a Derry player on the pitch.) I?d agree that frustration with the ref was a big factor in it all kicking off. Whenever I see him down to ref a Pats match I just expect the worst.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast