Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign born but were only ever going to play for Ireland

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Mick McCarthy not mentioned ? :O
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Didn't McGeady in particular talk about the atmosphere and environment amongst the underage groups with Ireland. Always felt welcomed and liked showing up because it was a positive environment.

Compared to the reactions he would have gotten from some within Scotland because of the issues with int schoolboys vs club issue and then joining up with our underage teams at first it probably made his decision to stick with us even easier.

You also look at Rocco Vata to see how some lads in Scotland might have more affiliation to us than Scotland depending on the family. His only link to us is his mother's mother came from Ireland but Scotland would probably be his third choice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS61Deu8t8

Footage of McGeady here in an Ireland jersey as a kid and says he wanted to play for Ireland as a kid too. His father speaks very well from about 3 mins on too about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Alan Kelly jr
    Yes, he was one of the '6'
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS61Deu8t8

Footage of McGeady here in an Ireland jersey as a kid and says he wanted to play for Ireland as a kid too. His father speaks very well from about 3 mins on too about it.
    McGeady has also said in other interviews he would've played for Scotland but they never asked him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Mick McCarthy not mentioned ? :O
    Not sure McCarthy would've only chosen Ireland had he been given the option of either. He's proud of his Englishness and his Irishness. Nothing wrong with that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Ogbene was vocal about preferring to play for Nigeria when he first moved to the UK. He only declared for us after Kenny had a word with him in 2020.
    You sure about that ? He always seemed delighted to play for us. I thought the only hitch was waiting for his citizenship, as he wasn’t born here.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    You sure about that ? He always seemed delighted to play for us. I thought the only hitch was waiting for his citizenship, as he wasn’t born here.
    https://www.the42.ie/chiedozie-ogben...34042-May2018/

By stating his intentions from the outset, Ogbene hopes that declaring his preferred allegiance will be met with understanding. With a genuine attachment to two nations, he insists it would be an honour to represent either of them. However, when he left in late 2005, Ogbene carried his dreams of playing football for Nigeria with him.

He explains: “My family comes from Nigeria, it’s in our blood and it’s where I spent the early part of my life. A lot of people tell me that I grew up in Ireland and that’s important, which it really is. I know that too and I’m not burning any bridges.

“I have to be honest too, because I may never be good enough to play with Nigeria or Ireland anyway — I still have to prove myself. We’ll see what happens if any opportunity comes, but I’m just being up front now in saying that playing for Nigeria is what I’d prefer. I love Ireland and my nationality is Irish, but playing for Nigeria is my dream.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    McGeady has also said in other interviews he would've played for Scotland but they never asked him.
    He was brought to meet Berti Vogts at one point, but he'd already made his mind up to play for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts

By stating his intentions from the outset, Ogbene hopes that declaring his preferred allegiance will be met with understanding. With a genuine attachment to two nations, he insists it would be an honour to represent either of them. However, when he left in late 2005, Ogbene carried his dreams of playing football for Nigeria with him.

He explains: “My family comes from Nigeria, it’s in our blood and it’s where I spent the early part of my life. A lot of people tell me that I grew up in Ireland and that’s important, which it really is. I know that too and I’m not burning any bridges.

“I have to be honest too, because I may never be good enough to play with Nigeria or Ireland anyway — I still have to prove myself. We’ll see what happens if any opportunity comes, but I’m just being up front now in saying that playing for Nigeria is what I’d prefer. I love Ireland and my nationality is Irish, but playing for Nigeria is my dream.”
    Would have no issue with him if he'd chosen Nigeria. Happy to have him with us

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Would have no issue with him if he'd chosen Nigeria. Happy to have him with us
    Definitely, it's the country of his birth and he has genuine love for Ireland too. Would consider himself Irish Nigerian and you respect his honesty.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Fair enough. Hadn’t seen that quote before. However, I think he is genuinely proud to play for us, and I love his attitude.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    It’s one of those where I think if you asked him now, he’d say he’d prefer to play for Ireland. The connection that he’s created with the fans is so special and the journey has been so special that it’s gone better than he could have imagined. I think that’s often the way.

Same with Michael Obafemi. Would have been the same with Declan Rice if we’d kept him. The love you receive if you become a regular in a squad means there’s rarely regrets. Like I doubt James McCarthy or McGeady would have any regrets at this stage…

The only dudes who I think get regrets are the people who change and then don’t make the grade, like maybe a Aaron McEneff or Michael Duffy

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    I have provided evidence. Can you also? I don't believe it was that he wasn't asked. I believe it was that he wasn't permitted due to schoolboy rules. Then when he looked like he was going to make it they asked him and he said no.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    It’s one of those where I think if you asked him now, he’d say he’d prefer to play for Ireland. The connection that he’s created with the fans is so special and the journey has been so special that it’s gone better than he could have imagined. I think that’s often the way.

Same with Michael Obafemi. Would have been the same with Declan Rice if we’d kept him. The love you receive if you become a regular in a squad means there’s rarely regrets. Like I doubt James McCarthy or McGeady would have any regrets at this stage…

The only dudes who I think get regrets are the people who change and then don’t make the grade, like maybe a Aaron McEneff or Michael Duffy
    And on McEneff or Duffy, maybe an NI cap wouldn't mean anything to them so maybe (probably I reckon) they have no regrets. I was in Derry recently for the first time and people I was really struck by the Irishness of it all. I found it very different to Belfast in that the city there can feel and look like a British one and has various pockets of different identities. I thought the city side of Derry was very clearly Irish and something like Derry City playing in the LOI made sense to me when I was there from a cultural and identity perspective. I could see how the like of Kone Doherty and Harkin immediately lean into our underage teams because it is natural in so many ways, including geographically in that Donegal is so nearby (which is different for Belfast too).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I have provided evidence. Can you also? I don't believe it was that he wasn't asked. I believe it was that he wasn't permitted due to schoolboy rules. Then when he looked like he was going to make it they asked him and he said no.
    I haven't time to trawl the internet but first google search unearthed this. He's not exactly saying there was no question of him playing for anyone other than Ireland. Packie Bonner asked his Da and he played U14 and liked the setup so stayed with us.
    The McGeadys have a stronger Irish connection than most foreign-born Irish players but I imagine he could've easily played for Scotland if their rules were different.

https://fb.watch/fGGeTh2gL-/
    Last edited by Fixer82; 21/09/2022 at 8:52 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    I haven't time to trawl the internet but first google search unearthed this. He's not exactly saying there was no question of him playing for anyone other than Ireland. Packie Bonner asked his Da and he played U14 and liked the setup so stayed with us.
    The McGeady have a stronger Irish connection than most foreign born Irish players but I imagine he could've easily played for Scotland if their rules were different.

https://fb.watch/fGGeTh2gL-/
    I made a point, supported it with a video as evidence, and you made a counterpoint with no evidence to support. Sorry for not acknowledging your time restraints. I thought it was a fair ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I made a point, supported it with a video as evidence, and you made a counterpoint with no evidence to support. Sorry for not acknowledging your time restraints. I thought it was a fair ask.
    It is a fair ask. Maybe just chill out a bit. This is not a big issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I think this line is pretty self-explanatory.

"Scotland had those rules that you couldn't play for your school team, but Ireland didn't.”

Scotland’s rules wouldn’t allow them pick him but Ireland didn’t have those rules. Mind made up. That doesn’t scream ‘I was never ever going to play for anyone but Ireland’ to me. Not saying he wasn’t incredibly proud to play for us but I think he’d have been just as proud to play for the Scots.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Tommy Coyne should have been brought earlier as for Bernie Slaven
    Kevin Sheedy
    Good old Tony Galvin the marauding winger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Tommy Coyne should have been brought earlier as for Bernie Slaven
    Kevin Sheedy
    Good old Tony Galvin the marauding winger
    Not sure any of them were never going to play for anyone other than Ireland. Bernie Slaven has called himself Scottish in the past. Sheedy phoned up Wales FA when picked for FAI U21s to inform them. They brushed him off so that made his mind up once and for all.

Galvin I'm not sure. maybe Tony Grealish would've only chosen Ireland, not sure

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast