Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Greece - Friday, 13th October 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Greece - Friday, 13th October 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Just seen on another thread that Egan is out, joining Coleman so giving the upcoming games a thread.

When is the squad due ?
    Do people think Moran has done enough to get in & will Kenny be brave at this stage & pick him ? He might as it would suit his narrative to do so.
    Any other new faces likely ?
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Squad to be announced tomorrow, along with the U21 squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Moran has to be in it imho.

Hopefully Johnston is back, and I think Szmodics and Sykes should be upgraded into the matchday squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Goalkeepers - Kelleher, Bazunu, Travers with O'Leary as a back-up

Centre-halves - Collins and Duffy will definitely be there. O'Shea is presumably injured but himself and Omobamidele haven't made a squad since the last camp, which makes them doubts. Scales is pretty likely to make it, Lenihan too (I'd have my reservations there). If both O'Shea and Andy don't make it, you're missing 1 or 2 players. The pool in the championship is McNally, McGuinness, McLoughlin, Dunne, Clarke-Salter, of which, McLoughlin was the most recent to get a nod and maybe McGuinness and McNally have a bit more potential. Down the leagues, you've got Cashin, Lawal, McCarthy, Raggett, Masterson, McEntee - who have been on the radar in one way or another, but can't see him going that deep. You've also got Jake O'Brien making his debut for Lyon but surely it's too soon for him.

Wing backs - Doherty, Ebosele, McClean and Manning seem the obvious choices. Stevens didn't look up to it in the last camp.

Deep midfielders - Cullen, Molumby, Hendrick. We're probably missing a 4th player there but there's literally no one

Attacking midfielders - Knight, Smallbone, Browne, McGrath. Can't see any obviously dropping down. I think all of Szmodzics, Moran, Taylor, Azaz, Sykes and Ronan have made claims for a call-up and I think Sammy is the most likely to get a call.

Wingers - Ogbene is in, Johnstone is presumably injured (he's back training, could be on the bench tonight), along with O'Dowda who is definitely out. Connolly you'd expect makes it. Robinson is just returning from injury so i'd doubt it but he's probably the next in line. Could also include Sykes here Otherwise you're looking down the leagues or over at LOI

Strikers - Ferguson makes it, Idah too. Parrott probably comes into the squad after starting to make an impact in the Netherlands. Will Keane is just returning from the injury he got against France, so doubt he makes it.

My squad would be:

Kelleher
    Bazunu
    Travers
    -
    Doherty
    Ebosele
    -
    Duffy
    Collins
    Omobamidele
    Scales
    McGuinness (obviously if O'Shea is fit...)
    -
    McClean
    Manning
    -
    Cullen
    Molumby
    Hendrick
    -
    Knight
    Smallbone
    Browne
    McGrath
    Szmodzics
    Moran
    Sykes
    -
    Ogbene
    Connolly
    Johnstone if fit, Robinson if not
    -
    Ferguson
    Idah
    Parrott

It's very heavy with a variety of attacking midfielders - but what can you do....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    I think Jimmy Dunne is a long term injury at the moment, no sign of him recently at QPR & listed injured. Of the other options if needed, I would be surprised if our northern brothers weren't holding a door open for McGuinness in the background & he is playing well this season. Maybe his turn for a nod.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    One outside shout that jumps to mind is Anselmo Garcia McNulty. Has been playing regularly and at left back too as far as I know.

For me this is Kennys last chance to build back a little bit of good will before he leaves. Deadwood needs to be gone, and replaced with lads who have a bigger long term upside. There should be no room for Hendrick, McClean, McGrath, Duffy, Egan (who I know is injured) and I'd even consider dropping Doherty considering hes not playing games. In all these players places younger players who are actually playing for their clubs should come in. Moran, Garcia McNulty, Azaz, McNally, Ebosele all should be considered for the starting team never mind just being in the squad.

It might be early for some of the players I mentioned, but the group is dead and by this time next year we will be delighted that some of these lads will have played some competitive games and we can look back and give Kenny credit for that... its all he has left
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Goalkeepers - Kelleher, Bazunu, Travers with O'Leary as a back-up

Centre-halves - Collins and Duffy will definitely be there. O'Shea is presumably injured but himself and Omobamidele haven't made a squad since the last camp, which makes them doubts. Scales is pretty likely to make it, Lenihan too (I'd have my reservations there). If both O'Shea and Andy don't make it, you're missing 1 or 2 players. The pool in the championship is McNally, McGuinness, McLoughlin, Dunne, Clarke-Salter, of which, McLoughlin was the most recent to get a nod and maybe McGuinness and McNally have a bit more potential. Down the leagues, you've got Cashin, Lawal, McCarthy, Raggett, Masterson, McEntee - who have been on the radar in one way or another, but can't see him going that deep. You've also got Jake O'Brien making his debut for Lyon but surely it's too soon for him.

Wing backs - Doherty, Ebosele, McClean and Manning seem the obvious choices. Stevens didn't look up to it in the last camp.

Deep midfielders - Cullen, Molumby, Hendrick. We're probably missing a 4th player there but there's literally no one

Attacking midfielders - Knight, Smallbone, Browne, McGrath. Can't see any obviously dropping down. I think all of Szmodzics, Moran, Taylor, Azaz, Sykes and Ronan have made claims for a call-up and I think Sammy is the most likely to get a call.

Wingers - Ogbene is in, Johnstone is presumably injured (he's back training, could be on the bench tonight), along with O'Dowda who is definitely out. Connolly you'd expect makes it. Robinson is just returning from injury so i'd doubt it but he's probably the next in line. Could also include Sykes here Otherwise you're looking down the leagues or over at LOI

Strikers - Ferguson makes it, Idah too. Parrott probably comes into the squad after starting to make an impact in the Netherlands. Will Keane is just returning from the injury he got against France, so doubt he makes it.

My squad would be:

Kelleher
    Bazunu
    Travers
    -
    Doherty
    Ebosele
    -
    Duffy
    Collins
    Omobamidele
    Scales
    McGuinness (obviously if O'Shea is fit...)
    -
    McClean
    Manning
    -
    Cullen
    Molumby
    Hendrick
    -
    Knight
    Smallbone
    Browne
    McGrath
    Szmodzics
    Moran
    Sykes
    -
    Ogbene
    Connolly
    Johnstone if fit, Robinson if not
    -
    Ferguson
    Idah
    Parrott

It's very heavy with a variety of attacking midfielders - but what can you do....
    Attack !

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Idah had a character building miss tonight, won't be feeling great after it. That has to go in.

https://twitter.com/MB52NCFC/status/...e-24Zg5aw&s=19

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Maybe time to try him as a defender ~ Maybe another Centre-Back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Squad announced. Pretty inexperienced - only one player over 50 caps, averaging 15 a head

No Kelleher, no Parrott, and I'd expect Moran to be in the U21 squad announced later
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 05/10/2023 at 12:43 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't think there can be too many complaints, all being said. Perhaps there'll be the usual about Szmodics, and I don't see what Callum Robinson adds, but otherwise, it's much as expected. Kelleher is probably a bit of a surprise, but the other three are all playing first choice for their clubs, and possibly a nod to Kelleher that he needs to be doing the same.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Kelleher injured apparently.
    McClean not in squad though he said his last appearance will be V NZ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Kelleher injured apparently.
    the aul arse splinters can be torture alright... (joke, joke, pool fans, chill)

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'd have had Szmodics and Moran in myself. McGrath and Smallbone are lucky. I'm glad Johnston is back and I hope Sykes actually sees some action.

Kelleher seems a bit fragile. Was he on the bench at Spurs?

Scales has made himself unomittable and his form and style of play suggest he should be starting. Left sided third CB seems made for him. I just don't see O'Shea, for example, using the ball as well. Omobamidele maybe. I thought he was injured? Omobamidele, Collins, Scales should be well capable of playing Kennyball from the back.

Robinson's a funny one. The best version of him is a good asset for us. The 7/10 version of him doesn't offer much.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/10/2023 at 1:06 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I like having Sykes in there - versatile and having a great season so far. I think Robinson is in there as he is similarly versatile across the front line. I have no idea what is going on with Szmodics and wish this would be asked and addressed as it seems a bit crazy. Moran must be in line for a call up too, definitely by the time November rolls around and I think it is time to punt McGrath to make room for either. Maybe a case for Azaz too. Hopefully they will all get some time in November...

All in all, it kind of picks itself now though, ho hum... we are woefully short of proven quality in the wing back positions. It used to be where we were spoilt for talent (FB more so).

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Kelleher seems a bit fragile. Was he on the bench at Spurs?
    He was fit and available Saturday, yes, on their bench. More info there would be good.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    In the press conference, Kenny said he was supposed to play tonight and said that in training yesterday there was a collision and he had to get 12 (or 10?) stitches on his knee.

And because it’s on a joint, if you play the stitches keep reopening- so you have to rest it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    ---------------- Bazunu --------------
    -------- Collins Duffy Scales --------
    Ebosele Cullen Smallbone Doherty
    ---- Ogbene Ferguson Robinson ----

That's how I would play. I quite like Robinson. I don't really get why other people don't seem to like him.

I find it strange that we're only calling up 2 full backs. Doherty can play on either side , but it seems a little bit odd to be honest
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I like Robinson too but he does blow a bit hot and cold, as Stutts points out.

Sykes can cover RWB, as can Browne, which means Doherty is added coverage on the left for Manning and Scales. Ebosele can theoretically do a job on the left too, used to get moved across to the left quite often when playing for Derby. None of that is ideal, just pointing out there are some options.

29. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Weirdly the examiner reported last night that Jake O’Brien was likely to get a call up and BBC text says he has been called up…

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67017953

31. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast