Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland v Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 24th September 2022 - UEFA Nations League

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Make it 3. All to do for SK.
    Its a nasty merry-go-round that we are on because if we lose to Scotland
    The Armenia game again becomes more about should be be sacked or not if we don't win.

I think he is safe regardless even two loses

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Scotland will be a real test now. Bring it on.

Weather was atrocious last night. It's forecast to be a lot better on saturday.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Its a nasty merry-go-round that we are on because if we lose to Scotland
    The Armenia game again becomes more about should be be sacked or not if we don't win.

I think he is safe regardless even two loses
    Surely not.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Make it 3. All to do for SK.
    Shots was 23-3

I know Scotland are a decent side but when the stats read 23 shots to 3 that should tell you Ukraine obviously weren’t playing properly, even Armenia gave Scotland more of a fight during the summer!

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    all the stuff i read in the brit press has said scotland were superb. considering that performance scotland had last night, what do we think would be a decent result for ireland? is a draw a positive result?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    all the stuff i read in the brit press has said scotland were superb. considering that performance scotland had last night, what do we think would be a decent result for ireland? is a draw a positive result?
    A win. I don’t see how a draw would be a positive result as it would still leave us on thin ice when it comes to staying in league B

Now obviously if we are losing with 5 minutes to go I’d bite you’re hand off for a draw but pre match the target has to be a win.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Surely not.
    Im not saying its right but I think he gets euro 2024 matter what happens. We could lose 3-0 to Scotland and 0-2 to Armenia and he won't be sacked.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I agree

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Yes, I'd say so. I'd compare it to an away qualifier.

It was an odd game. Soaking wet. Boring first half, or at least what I saw of it. Scotland upped the tempo in the second half and Ukraine didn't respond though they nearly nicked a few opportunities on the break that they botched. But Scotland's goal when it came was almost inevitable. They really got the bit between their teeth and missed some great chances. McGinn's opener was mildly controversial, winning the ball back quite physically. I thought it was fair but I'd have expected most international refs to favour the defender. Then they got two identical goals from corners. Bad marking and nobody on the post.

Ukraine really looked like they were on holidays tbh.

There was no great finesse in Scotland's play. Thompson got forward a lot which you'd hope Cullen will keep an eye on. Their midfield took control by pressing aggressively. I'd be disappointed if we conceded so much dominance.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 22/09/2022 at 2:48 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Im not saying its right but I think he gets euro 2024 matter what happens. We could lose 3-0 to Scotland and 0-2 to Armenia and he won't be sacked.
    The FAI have clearly had a very different view from the Kenny supporters throughout his reign. They wouldn't have included the break clause in his contract if it was the case that him continuing was a certainty. It's set up that way so that they can let him go at no cost after the Nations League if they want to. So if we get 0 or 1 points from the two games I think it's safe to say he's gone. I think the public mood would change in that case anyway. After all, we've only won one game of note during his entire time in charge, and even that was at home to the persistent bottlers that are Scotland.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The FAI have clearly had a very different view from the Kenny supporters throughout his reign. They wouldn't have included the break clause in his contract if it was the case that him continuing was a certainty. It's set up that way so that they can let him go at no cost after the Nations League if they want to. So if we get 0 or 1 points from the two games I think it's safe to say he's gone. I think the public mood would change in that case anyway. After all, we've only won one game of note during his entire time in charge, and even that was at home to the persistent bottlers that are Scotland.
    I think at this stage a return of 0/1 point from these two games would be very hard to defend - but I guess then again we've thought that before.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Is there 100% a break clause after the armenia game?? Because that is different

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    After nearly four years in post, two more poor results/performances would simply be indicative of it being a case of 'one step forward and two steps back', with no real, demonstrative progress being made.

It's not even as if he can say 'it's a very young team, I'm building towards Euro 2024' because his team and squad selections continue to be be quite conservative, reliant on a core of players near or over thirty. And his recall of an ageing, injury-prone Brady, who hasn't started more than 15 league games in a season since 2016/17, looks downright regressive.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 22/09/2022 at 4:59 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    And his recall of an ageing, injury-prone Brady, who hasn't started more than 15 league games in a season since 2016/17, looks downright regressive.
    hardly. hes playing in a new position

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    And his recall of an ageing, injury-prone Brady, who hasn't started more than 15 league games in a season since 2016/17, looks downright regressive.
    Who are his options for LWB? McClean, Stevens and Brady? You've got Manning and Scales, both of whom I think are better at LCB. Manning played last season in that LCB and this season, he's play LWB but it's a position where we're weak. Kenny's 21s had the likes of Dara Leahy, Trev Clarke, Thomas O'Connor, Kam Ledwidge, Tyreke Wilson playing at left-back (all 98/99 except Ledwidge). None are anywhere close to selection. The previous campaign had Danny Kane there and the current campaign has Joel Bagan (concussed) and Tayo Adaramola (playing 23s) or Andy Lyons, similarly, none close to selection.

Greg Cunningham is probably the next up after Scales and Manning and that speaks volumes. His squads have had more 21s eligible players in them than any side in Europe (last time i checked - Luxembourg where the only team close with 1 less). The side that beat Scotland had 4 u21 starters and Bazunu, Idah and Omobadele were missing from the squad due to injury. Plus you've also got another 2 lads who have been in squads (Connolly, Ebosele) and you've got a bunch of lads from the previous 21s group who have graduated to seniors and are squad regulars (Kelleher, Travers, O'Shea, Molumby)

Night and day from previous managers.

There's still a lack of depth in certain areas, left back, midfield in particular and you can't create players from nothing - but overall, the turnover of the squad has been huge

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Who are his options for LWB? McClean, Stevens and Brady? You've got Manning and Scales, both of whom I think are better at LCB. Manning played last season in that LCB and this season, he's play LWB but it's a position where we're weak. Kenny's 21s had the likes of Dara Leahy, Trev Clarke, Thomas O'Connor, Kam Ledwidge, Tyreke Wilson playing at left-back (all 98/99 except Ledwidge). None are anywhere close to selection. The previous campaign had Danny Kane there and the current campaign has Joel Bagan (concussed) and Tayo Adaramola (playing 23s) or Andy Lyons, similarly, none close to selection.

Greg Cunningham is probably the next up after Scales and Manning and that speaks volumes. His squads have had more 21s eligible players in them than any side in Europe (last time i checked - Luxembourg where the only team close with 1 less). The side that beat Scotland had 4 u21 starters and Bazunu, Idah and Omobadele were missing from the squad due to injury. Plus you've also got another 2 lads who have been in squads (Connolly, Ebosele) and you've got a bunch of lads from the previous 21s group who have graduated to seniors and are squad regulars (Kelleher, Travers, O'Shea, Molumby)

Night and day from previous managers.

There's still a lack of depth in certain areas, left back, midfield in particular and you can't create players from nothing - but overall, the turnover of the squad has been huge
    I'd agree with that. He hasn't just gone back to the older heads by choice. They are there because we have nothing else.

Now you could also argue that any other manager taking us through this transition would have brought in the same younger lads as they are currently the only options as well.

Do people see genuine alternatives out there for any position? Should he just throw unprepared lads in or should he add them in around experience? I favour the latter. But I also think he has to do that by necessity.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I'd certainly have liked to have seen McNamara brought in before now for a look. As a natural right wing back who is strong defensively he might have given us the option to switch Doherty to the left. I'm not convinced we can rely on Coleman as a starter anymore so that leaves us with Doherty as a stick on for RWB and then we need someone else on the left.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Or we're finally ran by a competent CEO and see things like this as mandatory now for all contracts.

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think he would be sacked in the minds of the supporters, you just can't lose to Armenia at home, get relegated and have a cover story that would sound in any way convincing.
    In any event, Ukraine were powder puff at Hampden,not a patch on their previous performances and according to the Scots' record, they will blow it just when they think they have it sorted out.
    I fancy at least a well earned draw in an entertaining game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    After coming out of the ground at the end of the Scotland match I sensed a real buzz about the place. Then I came on here.......
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

28. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast