Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOI Central live show and podcast

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts

LOI Central live show and podcast

Just listening to the latest LOI Central podcast where they had an interview with Stephen Kenny and Chris Shields among others.
    I always enjoy listening to Dan McDonnell, but Johnny Ward must have been drunk, he was just so unprofessional. Stephen Kenny was getting annoyed with him because he kept interrupting the guests as they were talking. He's like a child. He'd ask one question, and as the guest starts talking he'll immediately ask a different question (sometimes to a different guest) or just start talking over the guest with his own bullsh!t observations.
    The guests spoke well though... when they got a chance.

2. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    His style always irritates me on those podcasts. He's like an annoying lad in the pub. They're much more enjoyable when he's not on them.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    JW was more irritating the usual. I like him generally but im amazed with all the media work hes done over the years that hes never learned on when to stay quiet mid question. its like he gets bored once someone has said 10 words then blurts out another question to keep himself interested. its very annoying. hes much better on OTB saturdays than he is on loi central, dan has his hands full with him there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    He probably was drunk. Wasn’t Dan’s 40th on the Saturday and JW likes to party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    He said on one of the podcasts that someone said they thought he might have some form of ADHD and that mightn’t be too far off the mark. He’s a nice guy but he’s awful on the LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    He said on one of the podcasts that someone said they thought he might have some form of ADHD and that mightn’t be too far off the mark. He’s a nice guy but he’s awful on the LOI podcast.
    Have to say i like him , i like the odd couple vibe off the two of them , for me it plays well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Have to say i like him , i like the odd couple vibe off the two of them , for me it plays well
    Agree with you there, the two personalities work very well together for a podcast
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Agree with you there, the two personalities work very well together for a podcast
    Same.
    I actually enjoy JW's random tangents and always getting in a Galway reference.

Only half way through the SK interview, so maybe it'll annoy me more as it goes on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    The lads always make a joke at themselves whenever either says “interesting” by repeating it back etc on the pod as they said it so much. JW was on Newstalk one evening and someone said it he repeated it back automatically. The other person had no idea what he was on about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Just listening to the latest LOI Central podcast where they had an interview with Stephen Kenny and Chris Shields among others.
    I always enjoy listening to Dan McDonnell, but Johnny Ward must have been drunk, he was just so unprofessional. Stephen Kenny was getting annoyed with him because he kept interrupting the guests as they were talking. He's like a child. He'd ask one question, and as the guest starts talking he'll immediately ask a different question (sometimes to a different guest) or just start talking over the guest with his own bullsh!t observations.
    The guests spoke well though... when they got a chance.
    I was at the live show and found it enjoyable. As team they work as they have a bit of a good cop bad cop thing going on. I liked seeing that side of Kennys personally when having a back and forth with JW. He should show that side more often as he comes across as stiff during Ireland interviews.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I was there too. Really enjoyed it, more than I would've expected to even.
    I haven't listened to the recording so don't know how well it comes across. I'd imagine it's a bit of a balancing act to try get it to work well as a podcast and as a live... performance..? Hope they do it again anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    The lads always make a joke at themselves whenever either says “interesting” by repeating it back etc on the pod as they said it so much. JW was on Newstalk one evening and someone said it he repeated it back automatically. The other person had no idea what he was on about.
    That's gas to be fair. He has a bit of madcap (he could say anything next) vibe about him that generally works well on radio because he's never short of something to say.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    But I think on reflection he was just the wrong type of interviewer for Kenny.
    Kenny speaks slowly and thoughtfully and often leaves big pauses as he's gathering his thoughts. JW on the other hand wants to be constantly talking so couldn't help butting in all the time.
    I'm not sure if JW was drinking or if he was just giddy/nervous because it was their first live show on front of an audience but he was even more disruptive than usual.
    I shared some of Kenny's frustration.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Same here, considering they've been on the go since the 2017 season it never feels stale and there's been very few bad shows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Listened to it and JW was definitely a few deep by the time the show started. I don’t mind him personally and he and Dan are a great double act.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I listened to it myself I doubt JW was drinking but was a lot more nervous than normal. Really enjoyed the listen!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    That's the charm of Johnny though. He's a messer - giddy, brazen - but that brings out a different side in interviewees so you often get better answers than one of these repetitive, carbon copy interviews. Kenny has a sense of humour so was having fun with him. I like that good cop/bad cop analogy. It might even be a bit of start pupil/brazen child dynamic.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Yeah, I thought it gave a little peak behind the window of how Kenny deals with various personalities in a dressing room. Not a major one, just a little hint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I found Johnny's constant interrupting of people's answers to his questions so he could ask new questions annoying when I first started listening in the beginning but agree with most above, grew on me quite quickly and it's the only LOI one I really listen to at all. The show has a good balance of proper conversations while being able to laugh at itself and McDonnell constantly getting wound up by JW just makes it all seem more sincere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    JW redeemed himself on this weeks recording of the live show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast