Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    FWIW Dundalk renaming their stadium, "until the end of the season", is VERRRRRRRRRRY Bohs behaviour.
    What’s your view on the renaming of football clubs?

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    What’s your view on the renaming of football clubs?
    Not a fan of it at all Ger. It's why I hope Treaty stick with their current name and don't bow to sticking Limerick in there again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    What potential club would Keith Long end up at, if he was to get back into managing again?

It would have to be a Dublin team, as I reckon he won't move very far from his home!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Well he is pat declines son in law so I can see bray happening.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Well he is pat declines son in law so I can see bray happening.
    Pat devlin that should be, although maybe…..,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    https://www.buzz.ie/sport/bohemians-...llins-27909853

Roddys take on the situation at Bohs.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    "countless Bohs fans have contacted me about the position, urging me to return to the club"

Hahahaha. Same old Roddy- spend spend spend spend is the way forward
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    How far can Roddy count exactly?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I read that article earlier today and could barely believe my eyes. He's calling for "real and meaningful change at Bohs"... Does he not realise the club was a mess for ages and this is the first time in about 10 years that the club is in a healthy position?
    Roddy genuinely seems to believe that investing in the future through things like academy and facilities is wrong and you should blow all your cash on the 1st team. Unreal!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Unfortunately for the rest of us watching on, even boez are not that stupid that they'd take back the unemployed plasterer as manager.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Pender, Perth and Richard Dunne all linked with the job. Fingers crossed it’s Dunne as he’d produce some of the funniest moments of the three IMO

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...r-vinny-perth/
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Pender, Perth and Richard Dunne all linked with the job. Fingers crossed it’s Dunne as he’d produce some of the funniest moments of the three IMO

Dunne won’t be able to find his way to Dalymount so you can count him out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Considering his entire time at Bohs and not just the latest ****show, what do Bohs fans make of him?

Seems like he's good at working with young players, which might make him a good fit at Galway United. However, last time I took a quick glance at a potential GUFC manager's career highlights I was severely disappointed
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post

Bohs fans would be pretty underwhelmed with that list,apparently Jim McGuinness applied for it aswell,I’d say there’s more chance of me getting !!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Bohs fans would be pretty underwhelmed with that list,apparently Jim McGuinness applied for it aswell,I’d say there’s more chance of me getting !!!
    What’s your views on climate change, poetry, woke culture and everything non-football related?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    vinny perth lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    https://www.buzz.ie/sport/bohemians-...llins-27909853

Roddys take on the situation at Bohs.
    Copied to save anyone clicking on it.

I have not applied to become the new Bohemians manager and I won’t be doing so.
    In the days that have followed Keith Long’s departure from Dalymount Park, countless Bohs fans have contacted me about the position, urging me to return to the club.

It ain’t happening. Right now, I would not get the freedom and support from the Gypsies board to turn the club into trophy winners and that would frustrate me.
    Back in September, 1998 I received a phone call from a senior Bohs official to ‘come in and give a hand’ in the wake of Joe McGrath’s exit.

I was happy to do so and by the end of that season I had steered the team to Premier Division survival via the play-offs.
    When I left Bohs in June, 2001, we had won the double, finished as FAI Cup runners-up and beaten Kaiserslautern and Aberdeen away from home in the Uefa Cup.

Structure

Could Bohs emulate such success in the near future? Yes. Will it happen? No, due to the way that the club is currently operated.
    Any organisation that makes social inclusivity and its local community key elements of its structure must be applauded and Bohs do so much great work in Phibsboro and Dublin’s northside.
    But somewhere along the way, the club has forgotten that being a successful football club is its primary objective. Winning trophies is now a secondary issue.
    Bohemians is a club that is now too political and this is wrong. To me, it seems that the least important thing there is football, with no ambition to win silverware.

The new boss faces a tough task in changing the culture up in Dalymount. Here’s what he needs to do to win the battle.
    He must keep the young players that the club continues to develop by banging his fists on the boardroom table and ensuring that the club finds the money to keep them on longer and more lucrative contracts.
    Since last December, Bohs have lost Georgie Kelly, Andy Lyons, Ross Tierney, Dawson Devoy, Promise Omochere, Jack Moylan and Sean Grehan. This is simply not good enough for a club of Bohs’ stature.
    But this culture has been there for decades. When Billy Young was in charge during the early to mid-eighties, Jacko McDonagh, Paul Doolin, Terry Eviston, Kevin Brady and Liam O’Brien all left for Shamrock Rovers to become key members of their four-in-a-row title-winning run.
    It’s the job of the manager to secure these great young talents and sign experienced stars — not being cosy with the board and being buddies with the directors.
    Keith was there for eight years — no trophy to show for his efforts. It amazes me that he was offered a new four-year contract last year.
    Wrong emphasis

For me, the emphasis is all wrong at Bohs, so even if I received a call from their board, I would not go there.
    The Hoops are setting the standards in Dublin and right across the League of Ireland.
    But Bohemians can be just as big a club as Rovers. Now, they’re content with beating them in derby games as happened on Friday night.
    How far are Bohs behind Rovers? 10 to 20 years.
    If the Bohs board is brave and takes the correct approach they will appoint a boss that only sees winning football matches and silverware as his brief, with everything else irrelevant.

This will bring him into conflict with the board but so what?
    The sale of young players, the €1.7 million received from Wolves when Matt Doherty moved to Spurs two years ago and strong ticket sales have left plenty of money in the club’s kitty.
    So it should be invested in keeping the best young players there when offers arrive in from Shamrock Rovers and Britain.
    There has been a lot of sympathy extended to Keith in the past few days over the platter exodus but it doesn’t wash with me.
    He should have put a gun to the head of the board and told the directors ‘if they go, then I go’.
    Did Shelbourne keep trying to buy Glenn Crowe when I was Bohs boss and he scored an incredible 25 goals when we won the league? Of course they did but they didn’t get him when I was in charge.
    The same applied to Kevin Hunt, while I refused to budge with the board when it kept stalling on my bid to sign Trevor Molloy from St Patrick’s Athletic. We got him in the end.
    My belligerence didn’t go down well and I remember one director telling me that if ‘I kept my head down I had a job for life’.
    Nonsense

Nonsense, I wanted success, not a job for life and every manager must think this way.
    It’s 2009 since Bohs last won the Premier Division crown and 12 months before that since the FAI Cup was last claimed by the club. Since 2009, the Setanta Sports Cup was won in 2010.
    Bohs fans have been hoodwinked for the past 12 years.
    It’s time for real and meaningful change at Bohemian Football Club, not just the arrival of a new first team
    manager.

|

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Ian Ryan is on the list as well according to McDonnell. Bit disappointing to be honest. The other 3 would be gas. Can't imagine they are seriously being considered. Maybe Pender would turn out ok but Perth and Dunne? They can do better surely.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    McDonnell was also mentioning a guy who was an assistant coach at AIK Stockholm for a while, and the Huddersfield academy (I think). Sean O'Shea. Most recently he's been doing private coaching in Dubai. Can't see him getting it though.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Can't see Dunne or Perth getting the job, Pender with Croly as "manager" would be the safe option with them both under contract. Even though he's a legend I think most Bohs fans would prefer a fresh start from the previous era. Seems like a big step up for someone like Ryan but he's going to get a decent job soon enough anyway with his reputation growing so we might take the punt on him. Have a feeling it'll be someone off the beat and track who isn't immediately apparent.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast