Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Keith Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Good to see another young coach at a big job,very few older managers left in the league now,massive jump in expectation for Ryan and a big risk for Bohs....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    Not sure what to make of this. Yes, Wexford have performed well this year, but there's a feeling of bit of a punt about this.
    The expectation at Wexford is low, not the same as we have at Dalymount. Not sure if Croly will stay on, although I felt that our team seemed poorly coached in comparison to many of their opponents, so that might be a blessing.
    We?ve done it in the past with Callaghan and Long coming from so called smaller clubs and doing ok, so not surprised we might go with that approach again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Ryan appears to be a talented young coach always a likable solid pro when he played for Shels, big leap from Wexford to Bohs he will have to hit the ground running at Dalymount or they will be on his back
    We?ll be on his back so quickly, that he?ll be giving jockey backs off the pitch after his first defeat at Dalymount.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    In fairness to PC Ian Ryan was a player at Shels when they got promoted under Alan Mathews so I can see the confusion. Wouldnt be surprised if Trevor Croly will stay on as he was coach for us in 07 season when Ian Ryan was on loan for us from Shamrock Rovers. I think its a gamble but its well worth the risk imo.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Yeah, sorry wrong Ian.
    Ryan is even less experienced than Morris so it's a bit of a gamble I guess.
    Think they dodged a bullet with Dunne and Perth anyway, assuming they were even in the running in the 1st place.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Ryan has achieved even less than Ian Morris who I assume you're confusing him with, PC. I think it's a big gamble for Bohs but there aren't too many options out there really.
    he is a much better coach than morris that is undeniable

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It worked OK with Callaghan and Long, because the expectations were relatively low. Not the case now given budgets and our switch to full time training etc.

There's a frustration in our support since our failure to get europe last year- Ian Ryan will have to get it right sharpish.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    he is a much better coach than morris that is undeniable
    The couple of times I saw Wexford he seemed to have them playing well but that's not really that difficult with no real pressure on them in the First Division. Neale Fenn had us playing some nice football in the First and he didn't last long in Cork. The pressure will be of a whole other level.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    The couple of times I saw Wexford he seemed to have them playing well but that's not really that difficult with no real pressure on them in the First Division. Neale Fenn had us playing some nice football in the First and he didn't last long in Cork. The pressure will be of a whole other level.
    fenn was dealt a shocking hand here infairness. a club that came within 12 hours of not being able to play his first game, he couldnt do better than a few loans. covid hit and redmond went back to england. then we lost oluwu in the summer we were goosed. its hard to see ryan stumbling on the same problems. there will be different pressure no doubt about it i think hes the best coach in the fd now, may aswell chance it at a club with some money to spend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    It worked OK with Callaghan and Long, because the expectations were relatively low. Not the case now given budgets and our switch to full time training etc.

There's a frustration in our support since our failure to get europe last year- Ian Ryan will have to get it right sharpish.
    I?m not saying I agree with the strategy of hiring a manager from the 1st Division straight into a full-time set-up with a demanding fanbase, but I see why the club might have gone for it based on the past. He would not be my #1 choice, but if he is to be the one, then I hope he will be a great success, because it will mean the club too is also successful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    My understanding is that Ian Ryan is contracted to Wexford for next year. I presume Lorcan (Fitzgerald) is too. Would be fair chunk of money involved to get him out of his teacher's job and pay Wexford off. Obviously, I'd be hoping he stays as he will almost certainly have a bigger budget next season with Wexford than he did this season.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Yeah, sorry wrong Ian.
    Ryan is even less experienced than Morris so it's a bit of a gamble I guess.
    Think they dodged a bullet with Dunne and Perth anyway, assuming they were even in the running in the 1st place.
    Isn't it amazing how unpopular Perth is given his CV. An awful lot of players don't have great things to say about his dressing room management, apparently Brian Gartland's book pretty much says as much, must give it a read. You'd think a fella who's won what he has would've walked straight back into a job. I think going back to Dundalk the second time didn't help his cause either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Isn't it amazing how unpopular Perth is given his CV. An awful lot of players don't have great things to say about his dressing room management, apparently Brian Gartland's book pretty much says as much, must give it a read. You'd think a fella who's won what he has would've walked straight back into a job. I think going back to Dundalk the second time didn't help his cause either
    absolutely. made him look like a right beg. perth has never come across well enough in media appearances or interviews for me either. just doesnt strike me as someone who can rally a dressing room. if you dont have great coaching you need to have the man management/charisma to get the players running through walls for you. i cant even put a finger on where he'd land next.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I?m not saying I agree with the strategy of hiring a manager from the 1st Division straight into a full-time set-up with a demanding fanbase, but I see why the club might have gone for it based on the past. He would not be my #1 choice, but if he is to be the one, then I hope he will be a great success, because it will mean the club too is also successful.
    Honestly not sure who else I would have considered a viable option. Reynolds would have been a good appointment but if he doesn't want to give up the u21 gig and the club want the manager to be fully focused on the club it's best for both parties to end it there. O'Shea has no experience managing a first team. Has some great names as clients by all accounts but he's a complete unknown and a bigger risk than Ryan. Dunne has less experience again so not sure why he was considered outside name recognition. I wouldn't hire Perth with Rovers money! There was always the feeling with him that he won the league by default because the players knew how to win from their time under Kenny and his subsequent seasons/spells in charge haven't convinced me otherwise. That leaves Ryan of the known candidates and he has over 50 games in charge. His win/loss record isn't great but how many games a season are Wexford expected to win? My one concern is that he might not have a network of players fit for this level built up and I'm hoping that a sporting director or director of football is appointed to handle that side of things. Longs last few transfer windows were an utter disaster bar a couple of signings and I hope the club has learned from that.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    My understanding is that Ian Ryan is contracted to Wexford for next year. I presume Lorcan (Fitzgerald) is too. Would be fair chunk of money involved to get him out of his teacher's job and pay Wexford off. Obviously, I'd be hoping he stays as he will almost certainly have a bigger budget next season with Wexford than he did this season.
    Presumably he can take a career break from the teaching job? Doubt he's on a huge amount in Wexford and teachers don't rake it in so a full time salary with Bohs would probably come close enough to his total income.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Ryan done a great job with Wexford last season, but given he had an increased budget this season, and put together a decent squad, their league table position would have to be seen as a disappointment for Wexford. Fully expected them to be in the mix for playoffs this season, and they're being badly cut adrift again.

It's an uncertain sort of appointment for Bohs.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    absolutely. made him look like a right beg. perth has never come across well enough in media appearances or interviews for me either. just doesnt strike me as someone who can rally a dressing room. if you dont have great coaching you need to have the man management/charisma to get the players running through walls for you. i cant even put a finger on where he'd land next.
    100%, came out with some right off the wall stuff in the media

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I'd say they would have given the job to Tommy barret who has done a better job than Ryan but he ruled himself out as he saw the risk too great from a financial perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'd say they would have given the job to Tommy barret who has done a better job than Ryan but he ruled himself out as he saw the risk too great from a financial perspective.

barretts teams basically play caulfield ball. not really what any PD club with euro aspirations would want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    According to Dan McDonnell, Ryan has removed himself from the frame due to frustrations with Bohs stalling the process. Seems a bit of a mess.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast