Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Given the political leanings of your ceo there's more chance of Michelle O'Neill
    Good one PC!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Don't follow Bohs closely enough to see what has happened recently, but he always struck me as doing a decent job of keeping Bohs quite competitive against teams with bigger budgets...though this thread is making me think his budgets were actually bigger than i believed.

Thought he was fairly canny in how he set his teams up in big games too. He'll still be in demand as a manager I expect.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Good one PC!
    I’d probably take her over that miserable git anyway !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Don't follow Bohs closely enough to see what has happened recently, but he always struck me as doing a decent job of keeping Bohs quite competitive against teams with bigger budgets...though this thread is making me think his budgets were actually bigger than i believed.

Thought he was fairly canny in how he set his teams up in big games too. He'll still be in demand as a manager I expect.
    He will and Bohs thought so too with a very long term deal, especially by LoI norms, for Long/coaching team. If any managerial vacancies happen his name will be in the mix. Would he move to Galway, could be a fit for Harps and where they are at in terms of the broader project there if Ollie goes, have Waterford made moves on a permanent manager, Drogheda when Doherty takes the Bohs job - there are some good clubs to go to if he wants to jump back in.

There is a whole load of guess work on club budgets and over the years there's wildly over and underestimated budgets - probably why the running jests on 4th biggest budget has stuck for years. Many clubs will have a year on year increase in budgets as key players demand more not to move and Bohs will have done the same, so how much things are incremental increases rather than comparing what a manager worked with one year and and then subsequent years later can be misleading imo, certainly in terms of suggesting mismanagement by a head coach.

If there has been a significant jump from 2021 to 2022, on par with Dundalk and St Pat, as suggested by some Bohs fans, there are a few more strategic club policies that i'd be questioning if it were my club eg how similar budgets at other clubs are full-time/day time training, rather than a more semi-pro 1st team setup. Yes there is investment being made in other parts of the club so hence it being relative to other clubs use of 1st team budget. It does effect fitness and more importantly recovery, prep etc. so should be an early change at a club if finances allow. If this policy is a baby steps approach by club rather than team management, fans should be wondering why as much as possible wasnt eeked out of money being spent, before a bunch of new signings are signed off on as sticking plasters. There has been an ambiguity or confusion even among Bohs fans on whether their setup is ft or not or set to go ft. I get why some Bohs fans think a manger change was needed but it is at partially done move to FT training and a new manager could well want to start from scratch.

To have a manager push for an increase to budgets and a club to agree and then sack the manager a month after the transfer window closes is not in line with Bohs general rhetoric on sustainability so the CEO should be getting a roasting over things also. The inability to move on coaches brought in by a former manager is a significant issue unless an internal appointment is made. Cork fell foul of such stuff in recent history and were badly stretched and under the much lauded members owned model also. It just seems messy and that there could be a bit more to things than just matchday performances. To wait until after a Derby against champions elect and pull the trigger after a loss, or see if the squad are capable of putting in a shift and win against, would have been eh less messy somehow. Club admin took the eye off the ball either way! Maybe KL himself had had enough and at least would give the club a pass on how they've done things.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 31/08/2022 at 3:50 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    At the end of the day Bohs have won 13 of their last 42 league games. Any other manager of a comparable sized club in that type of form would've been sacked sooner.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Which full-time teams are Bohs supposed to have bigger playing budgets than? If (and I stress if) that's the case there's either full time clubs cutting a very impressive cloth or Bohs fans should be questioning more than just Keith Long surely? Like if (there's that word again) they're 4th biggest outlay are they behind Rovers, Derry and Dundalk? And if that's the case are Bohs actually spending more on a part-time team than Pats and Sligo (they're both full-time, right)? How?

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    To add some info regarding full/part time at Bohs, I read in an article recently that only 1 Bohs player has a day job this year - Feely is a teacher.
    The rest are all full time footballers, unless they have some students?
    They still train in the evenings at the moment but are planning to move to day time training next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    To add some info regarding full/part time at Bohs, I read in an article recently that only 1 Bohs player has a day job this year - Feely is a teacher.
    They still train in the evenings at the moment but are planning to move to day time training next year.
    The reason they train in the evenings is because Keith Long and Trevor Crolly have jobs (at least that's what i heard maybe a Bohs fan could confirm).
    Beyond daft and maybe not surprising on reflection that it had to end really if they were going to start to train in the mornings next season.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Keith Long has been full time for two or three years. The reason why the club has still been part time has been because most of the backroom staff was still part time and up until last season the likes of Buckley and Cornwall had other jobs too.
    Last edited by RealJohn91; 31/08/2022 at 5:54 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Which full-time teams are Bohs supposed to have bigger playing budgets than? If (and I stress if) that's the case there's either full time clubs cutting a very impressive cloth or Bohs fans should be questioning more than just Keith Long surely? Like if (there's that word again) they're 4th biggest outlay are they behind Rovers, Derry and Dundalk? And if that's the case are Bohs actually spending more on a part-time team than Pats and Sligo (they're both full-time, right)? How?
    Bohs are not part-time. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out Rovers, Derry and Pats will have higher budgets than Bohs, Dundalk will still have players on decent contracts so they are likely to have a higher budget than Bohs. Shels definitely have the lowest full-time budget around 12-13k per week.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Thats news to me about Andy Reid who is he involved with now in the premiership as I have heard very little from him lately!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    John o Sullivan is a painter, so he’s part time too.I think there’s two or three others but the rest are full time but training evenings. Going full time next season yeah so the part timers will be shipped out I’d say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    At the end of the day Bohs have won 13 of their last 42 league games. Any other manager of a comparable sized club in that type of form would've been sacked sooner.
    Like a big club?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Keith Long has been full time for two or three years. The reason why the club has still been part time has been because most of the backroom staff was still part time and up until last season the likes of Buckley and Cornwall had other jobs too.
    That makes even less sense! There has been plenty of blurring the lines on this, no broad agreement - maybe we need a definition of what is a FT club which is as LoI as it gets We have a few lads on amateur forms that have warmed the bench once or twice so Dundalk are not FT at all but are doing brilliantly to gallantly manage to stay in the mix with better resourced clubs.....?!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    didnt realise it was that bad a sustained run

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    John o Sullivan is a painter, so he’s part time too.I think there’s two or three others but the rest are full time but training evenings. Going full time next season yeah so the part timers will be shipped out I’d say.
    Fair enough. That article I read that had only mentioned Feely was probably before they signed the 9 players last month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Thats news to me about Andy Reid who is he involved with now in the premiership as I have heard very little from him lately!
    He’s at Nottingham Forest…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    He’s at Nottingham Forest…
    Brutal night so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Ricer’s name popping up a bit. Mind you it was as well for Rovers when Bradley was looking like going to Lincoln.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    From what he said in recent interviews, I don't think he's ready to give up his ireland gig for the uncertainty of a LOI gig just yet.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast