Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Long

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Dunne won’t be able to find his way to Dalymount so you can count him out.
    Maybe not but the club climate officer would surely give him a lift to and from matches on his rickshaw. Reading between the lines it does seem Dunne is interested anyways based on this interview

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status...hswmBcWKPuYlNQ
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Maybe not but the club climate officer would surely give him a lift to and from matches on his rickshaw. Reading between the lines it does seem Dunne is interested anyways based on this interview

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status...hswmBcWKPuYlNQ
    The Climate officer is only allowed use the company rickshaw for off-field activities. Plus Dunne weighs a Ton anyway. I’d suggest hiring a camel or elephant but that wouldn’t fit in with our animal welfare officer or Vegan chef’s beliefs.

3. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Looks like Sean O'Shea is in pole position according to the reports going around. He definitely has an interesting background in coaching if nothing else.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Can't see Dunne getting the job, after retiring in 2015 he settled in Monte-Carlo with his wife and kids . Unless his circumstances have changed, the travelling arrangements would not be practicable or suitable for both parties!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    Looks like Sean O'Shea is in pole position according to the reports going around. He definitely has an interesting background in coaching if nothing else.
    I wouldn't be particularly impressed by his experience if I were hiring him. The stint at AIK, depending on exactly what he did there, is about the only senior level experience he has. He was running camps for kids in Dubai. He'd be a good assistant for someone maybe. Or a First Division manager.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I wouldn't be particularly impressed by his experience if I were hiring him. The stint at AIK, depending on exactly what he did there, is about the only senior level experience he has. He was running camps for kids in Dubai. He'd be a good assistant for someone maybe. Or a First Division manager.
    He would be high risk all right.
    He could be like Giovagnoli, who was actually surprisingly competent - got Dundalk to the group stages and won a cup, or he could be completely incapable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    He could be like Giovagnoli, who was actually surprisingly competent - got Dundalk to the group stages and won a cup, or he could be completely incapable.
    I actually like Giovagnoli. Did well at Dundalk during a pandemic and with basket case owners. The players seemed to like him too. I wonder did he ever get his badges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    ian ryan is the man for bohs

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I actually like Giovagnoli. Did well at Dundalk during a pandemic and with basket case owners. The players seemed to like him too. I wonder did he ever get his badges.
    Still hasn't got them but is working towards them

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    He's great craic and very passionate - the type of fella you'd love to sit down with and have a beer and order tapas etc.. but he's no coach.
    That team basically coached themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    ian ryan is the man for bohs
    Yup
    Showing up the brighter ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I don't get the obsession with Ian Ryan.

Admittedly he took over an awful Wexford team last year and there was definitely signs of improvements under him (that wouldn't have been hard), he made a few good signings like Moylan etc, but they still finished rock bottom in the First Division. He was appointed in May.

Fair enough you might say, they showed signs of growing a bit, certainly there was a level of improvement in their performance, but I don't see how people can not call this season a woeful underachievement for Wexford and Ian Ryan?

When you assess the First Division, it's incredibly poor and weakened. Ryan has undoubtedly been given a bigger budget this season, which has allowed him to assemble a strong side with a few eye-catching signings.

They're currently 6th in the First Division, and will almost certainly not get a play-off spot. Over half the Division gets a place in the play-offs and they could not achieve that, I would say their outlay is bigger than Treaty United and certainly not a million miles off Longford Town, they're not paying players pennies this season.

They do play a good brand of football and in fairness, they knocked Sligo out of the cup, which was an impressive feat, albeit the game was sandwiched between European games for Sligo, but they still had to take advantage of that and they did.

But the league is the bread and butter. I would've thought, at the very least, a play-off spot was the minimum expected for Wexford this season, they've fallen a good deal short of that.

Based off that, I haven't seen a great deal from Ryan to suggest that he would be in any way suitable for a job like managing Bohs yet.

There's a huge hype around him for some reason, and I don't see how it's warranted.
    Last edited by Olander; 28/09/2022 at 6:32 PM.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    I don't get the obsession with Ian Ryan.

Admittedly he took over an awful Wexford team last year and there was definitely signs of improvements under him (that wouldn't have been hard), he made a few good signings like Moylan etc, but they still finished rock bottom in the First Division. He was appointed in May.

Fair enough you might say, they showed signs of growing a bit, certainly there was a level of improvement in their performance, but I don't see how people can not call this season a woeful underachievement for Wexford and Ian Ryan?

When you assess the First Division, it's incredibly poor and weakened. Ryan has undoubtedly been given a bigger budget this season, which has allowed him to assemble a strong side with a few eye-catching signings.

They're currently 6th in the First Division, and will almost certainly not get a play-off spot. Over half the Division gets a place in the play-offs and they could not achieve that, I would say their outlay is bigger than Treaty United and certainly not a million miles off Longford Town, they're not paying players pennies this season.

They do play a good brand of football and in fairness, they knocked Sligo out of the cup, which was an impressive feat, albeit the game was sandwiched between European games for Sligo, but they still had to take advantage of that and they did.

But the league is the bread and butter. I would've thought, at the very least, a play-off spot was the minimum expected for Wexford this season, they've fallen a good deal short of that.

Based off that, I haven't seen a great deal from Ryan to suggest that he would be in anyway suitable for a job like managing Bohs yet.

There's a huge hype around him for some reason, and I don't see how it's warranted.

they've outplayed cork in 3 games we've played against them yet somehow only have a point to show from it. They were excellent against dundalk in the cup too. I think the way he wants his team to play will be helped by going to a bigger team with better players. Wexford look a lot better this year than they did for his spell at the end of last season.

For me anyway the "process" is good with ryan but hes not got the outcomes to show for it this season in the league
    He did make one glaring error this year and that was starting the season with paul hunt as GK. Awful player who cost them a lot of points before he was dropped.

Being completely honest with you i'd take him at cork in a heartbeat
    Last edited by Jd2793; 28/09/2022 at 6:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Yes that was naive of him, it was like as if he blew his entire budget and forgot that he had to sign a proper goalkeeper. That Alex Moody seems promising, but raw, he's probably been overexposed to first team football this season and should've been a number two.

I acknowledge they do play good football, we've drawn against them twice in Terryland this year, but I still cannot just say "it's about the process", it's also about results. At the end of the day, he's got well-backed this year. They've lots of players down from Dublin etc, and they're not just a point or two off the play-offs, they're well short of it, and a few clubs who have weaker or comparable squads to Wexford have pipped them to the play-offs.

Ryan definitely still has a lot to learn, he may have a bit of promise, I wouldn't take that away from him, but this year ultimately has been an underachievement for Wexford. The table never lies.
    Last edited by Olander; 28/09/2022 at 6:50 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Big difference in the Galway and Wexford playing budgets, but not much difference between the two sides in the two games in EDP this year. I actually feel that the standard in the First Division is reasonable this year. Bohs is one of the biggest jobs in the league, so it is fair to say that Ian Ryan's CV so far means that there would be a big gamble involved in going for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    No comparison is being made between Galway United and Wexford.

I'm speaking solely on what surely would've been expected at Wexford this season.

I'm actually a bit shocked that they couldn't get a play-off spot, and what baffles me more is the people that have such a high opinion of Ryan considering he's achieved virtually nothing in the game and fallen short of expectation this year when he's had his own squad in place and been well-backed, that can't be excused.

A lot of faith is being placed in his promise as a manager.
    Last edited by Olander; 28/09/2022 at 7:21 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Ah give it to vinny perth . Please.
    Gwan Gwan Gwan Gwan Gwan
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Thought Long came across well on LOI Central.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Thought Long came across well on LOI Central.
    He came across extremely well. Similar to when I heard Bradley giving an interview a while back (on Off the Ball I think) my respect for the man has gone way up. A class act.
    I also thought it was v clear that he's positioning himself to become a DOF at some stage in the future - possibly if that position is created at Bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    One of the local podcasts (The Pressbox) did live show last month, and flew him over as a special guest, he talked very well, obviously scatting on how p6 turned out, but winning the cup and getting to group stages was some achievement. First LOI manager to achieve that in same season.

Never once managed DFC in front of fans, what a horrible way to have managed a club.

That 2020 cup final was unreal, real winter day, you could hear all of the players, even McMillan's first goal hitting the post and going in, strange times indeed, but a great win !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    He came across extremely well. Similar to when I heard Bradley giving an interview a while back (on Off the Ball I think) my respect for the man has gone way up. A class act.
    I also thought it was v clear that he's positioning himself to become a DOF at some stage in the future - possibly if that position is created at Bohs.

Spoke well,seems a decent fella also seemed to resent a little bit the off field stuff getting more attention than the stuff happening on the field,think he’ll be back in the game before long,maybe a promoted team next year would tap into his experience….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast