Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Vinny Perth would be perfect for that club.
    Not if Gartland’s book and other stories are anything to go by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Is being in the last 8 of the cup an influence on the timing of the decision? 2 or 3 wins might change the complexion of things in the league. Win the cup, Bohs can look forward to another European windfall.
    It might be. It is our last realistic chance at Europe and to do that we need to be able to string performances and more importantly results together, something we had not done under Long for must be over a year now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Vinny Perth would be perfect for that club.
    Bohs fan would hate him.

Couldn't see the likes Buckley or Morris cutting it with the Bohs fanbase either. Note sure if Ian Ryan would be ready for that role hasn't exactly overachieved with Wexford as the 3 teams below them have been absolute trainwrecks this season

Ger O'Brien I'm thinking???
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I think they did the absolute right thing of reinvesting the money into training facilities and academy structures.
    How many times have we seen LOI teams spunk away winnings on the 1st team with nothing left to show for it a few seasons later.
    Nice to see a LOI team doing the sensible thing for once.
    But they took the risk that the 1st team might regress, and it has.
    But then they invested the very next year and that money has been spunked. Now they have to pay Long and Croly off as well. Timing is everything. I'm also not completely sure what they invested in? They ripped up their previous partnership St. Kevins and decided to go with a similar model to Rovers by having affiliate clubs. I'm not sure what investment that required? Did they build a training facility? I thought they were using the universities?

SkStu liked your post so I assume I'm off mark there and he knows more than I do.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    We are part time (not amateur). A big part of why it proved difficult at times to attract/retain certain players - apparently. Long actually didn't spend the budget that was assigned to him for this season which for me was a massive red flag going into the season. While we are part time, the club has announced (I think publicly) that it would be moving to full time effective next season.

Long did well by us (and all the best to him in the future) but the last year or so has been an absolute disaster on the pitch and the club waited too long to pull the pin in my opinion. I cant believe that they seemingly doubled down on him in the midseason window.

Pineapple is about right, i reckon, when he says we likely have in and around the 4th highest budget. Somewhere between third to fifth would be my guess.

He couldn't sort it though. He was given a lot of time and money to turn it round and if anything performances have gotten worse.
    The amateur bit was in jest Stu but your fanbase seems a bit confused as to what model you have. You're definitely part-time but with around the 4th largest budget? Why the strange mix of money for players but only part time contracts? You could have held Andy Lyons if you offered him a similar deal I'd think. Not sure on Ward, Buckley etc but you'd imagine a few might have stuck with it if good deals were on the table.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Thought he’d be given Friday. Has a decent record in derbies and if there’s one that can change a season…..

would love Perth or Roddy for them!

Ian Ryan would take it. Could be the brave choice….

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Did they build a training facility? I thought they were using the universities?
    They've a partnership with DCU for the next 20yrs or so all right. But they're part funding a 2nd all weather pitch with the college and also building offices and meetings rooms and upgrading changing rooms etc. It's going to be the academy and 1st team base afaik with full gym and all that.
    They put 1.5m of the Matt Doherty money into it.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...-dcu-1.4507953
    I don't doubt they're playing budget increased this year, but I think that was only allowed once all the other stuff was sorted. That's basically the point I was making. They haven't thrown all their money at the 1st team. Most of it went into the academy /facilities.
    Regarding part/full time, I think I read somewhere that from next year they'll be full time. But I'm open to correction on that.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    They've a partnership with DCU for the next 20yrs or so all right. But they're part funding a 2nd all weather pitch with the college and also building offices and meetings rooms and upgrading changing rooms etc. It's going to be the academy and 1st team base afaik with full gym and all that.
    They put 1.5m of the Matt Doherty money into it.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...-dcu-1.4507953
    So a publicly funded University is paying for half the academy setup, 1st team training centre aaand DCC building a new ground for them...I think Bohs could be pinching Rovers 'lucky club' title...

Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Joking aside I'm surprised they didn't give him the game against Rovers on Friday, as Nesta said its the kind of league where a few wins changes everything (Pats looked out of it a few weeks ago but 3 wins and a couple of dropped points for Dundalk and Derry and they are basically tied for second with them). A win over Rovers and it could have lifted them.

Be interesting to see does Crolly change things up for Friday.
    Yeah part of what I was thinking on the timing. A derby win could have just lifted the pressure on all and in itself mean an improvement. It will be interesting to see if Croly sets up differently or will the whole real brains behind things stuff get more airing - he should immediately change to a high defensive line just cause it makes lots of sense! O'Brien is a good shout for the job but it would disrupt St Pats plan B or succession plans.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I'd say we'll be looking at some like Stephen Rice, Andy Reid, Paddy McCarthy, Ger O'Brien etc or someone in that regard.

I think they'll be a recently retired player who has experience in England in a full time setup or with connections to the FAI who's looking for their first managerial job. (Or someone who matches a lot of that criteria).

Ian Ryan would also fit a lot of that criteria. I don't think it will be Buckley, Fenlon, Doolin etc.
    Last edited by David BOHie; 31/08/2022 at 5:16 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    I'd say we'll be looking at some like Stephen Rice, Andy Reid, Paddy McCarthy, Ger O'Brien, Paddy McCarthy etc or someone in that regard.

I think they'll be a recently retired player who has experience in England in a full time setup or with connections to the FAI who's looking for their first managerial job. (Or someone who matches a lot of that criteria).

Ian Ryan would also fit a lot of that criteria. I don't think it will be Buckley, Fenlon, Doolin etc.
    You can have Ricer but only until Bradley leaves. Suppose your warmed him up for us before so it might work again....

Jokes aside, I'd tend to agree with you David. Don't see bohs picking someone from the merry go round. They'll want to be seen to be progressive.

Wouldn't fancy seeing Ryan head your way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'd say we'll be looking at some like Stephen Rice, Andy Reid, Paddy McCarthy, Ger O'Brien, Paddy McCarthy etc or someone in that regard.

Robbie Keane is twiddling his thumbs and is real value for money.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Not even in jest nesta please

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Gerry Adams is available , he'd fit right in with the ethos and values of the Chief Operating Officer

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I'm not sure what roles Crolly and Pender will play. I read or heard an interview about a year which said Crolly wasn't overly interested in the management side of things. He prefers the coaching role, and I believe he is one of the best in the country. Don't know what Penders asparations are, but I guess he joined the current team to cut his teeth in management. They are interim so lets give them a chance. Bohs won't get relegated, won't finish top four and most likely won't win the cup. So let's not be hasty in appointing a successor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Always dreamed of playing for bohs apparently

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I'd say we'll be looking at some like Stephen Rice, Andy Reid, Paddy McCarthy, Ger O'Brien etc or someone in that regard.

From the ones highlighted I think Rice is the only realistic candidate, I could see him leaving his FAI role for the Bohs job similarly to how Higgins did with Derry. Andy Reid has been promoted to first team assistant manager in the premier league so there’s no chance he leaves that role for a LOI job. Likewise Paddy McCarthy is u23 manager at Crystal Palace and I’d imagine is quite settled in London having played there for most of his career and with no link to the LOI I’d say he’s an unlikely candidate. Ger O'Brien is Director of Football for Pats academy and is also doing a course in sports directorship (or something like that, can’t remember the exact title), either way he’s stated a good number of times in interviews that first team management isn’t something that appeals to him due to the lack of job security
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 31/08/2022 at 10:42 AM.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    There’s also Micheal o neill…..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    There’s also Micheal o neill…..
    Given the political leanings of your ceo there's more chance of Michelle O'Neill
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Always dreamed of playing for bohs apparently
    It would have been truly gas if all those years ago one of the stands in Tallaght was renamed the Robbie Keane stand and he then went on to manage Bohs

https://www.the42.ie/the-robbie-kean...Jun2011/?amp=1
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    crolly staying put is madness. crolly as coach surely hes taking blame for the on pitch results and performances too? what manager/coach wants to come into a job where hes handed coaches from the last regime?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast