Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Harps draw decent support in areas of Tyrone & Fermanagh
    Derry would have a lot of support up in Inishowen
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    My educated guess on this would be as follows :

- Sligo Rovers ( North Mayo, North Roscommon, Leitrim).
    - Finn Harps (West Tyrone)
    - Derry City (Inishowen, north-west Tyrone, and a bit of north Derry e.g. Limavady).
    - Drogheda United (Meath)
    - Dundalk (Monaghan, South Down).
    Inishowen would be fairly split in half between Derry and Harps to be fair.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Leitrim has a population of 35,000 - which makes it bigger than places like Coleraine, Ballymena, Larne, Newry etc. Yet those places seem able to turn out football supporters, so I fear your point was a bit misguided really (beyond telling us all the obvious news that Leitrim isn't the biggest county on the island). If only 10% of the population of Leitrim went to a Sligo game (they don't), it would still more than double the gate - so it's hardly a village we're talking about here.
    Ballymena, Coleraine and Larne are three very protestant towns and therefore draw their fans from the protestant community. These clubs would only have a tiny amount of Catholics if any. For years Larne couldn't get protestants to go to games until Kenny Bruce took over and completely rebuilt the stadium and the team went professional. Ballymena have a great stadium owned by the council and with David Jeffery at the helm they come in expectation. Coleraine are relatively successful. Top three or four in the league and Cup finals or semi finals. Lets see how Newry do this year before commenting on their support. They are new to the league this year and people are coming out of curiosity and most likely to see the big name teams Linfield, Crues, Glen's and Chickenville. If they are in the bottom two they'll go back to two men and a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    County Meath is the 4th biggest area of Bohs members behind Dublin 7, 15 & 11.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NavanBohs View Post
    County Meath is the 4th biggest area of Bohs members behind Dublin 7, 15 & 11.
    Dublin 15 is a bizarre one, clearly located closer to D7 & Bohs than Rovers in Tallaght, yet has one of the highest areas of Rovers members & Season ticket holders outside of Tallaght. Huge amount of Hoops from that part of Dublin.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Ballymena, Coleraine and Larne are three very protestant towns and therefore draw their fans from the protestant community. These clubs would only have a tiny amount of Catholics if any.
    On what basis are you making this claim? I know nationalists who watch Coleraine.

For years Larne couldn't get protestants to go to games until Kenny Bruce took over and completely rebuilt the stadium and the team went professional.
    This is an even ballsier claim ! On what basis are you saying protestats wouldn't go to watch Larne ? It's two-thirds protestant as a town. What has their religion got to do with it ?

Lets see how Newry do this year before commenting on their support. They are new to the league this year and people are coming out of curiosity and most likely to see the big name teams Linfield, Crues, Glen's and Chickenville. If they are in the bottom two they'll go back to two men and a dog.
    I watched Newry a few times when they were in the second tier over the last few years - both home and away - and they had a lot more than two men and a dog. Have you actually bene to watch them, as it sounds like everything you've said in the above post is based on unfounded personal opinion/prejudice rather than actual fact ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky Blinder View Post
    Dublin 15 is a bizarre one, clearly located closer to D7 & Bohs than Rovers in Tallaght, yet has one of the highest areas of Rovers members & Season ticket holders outside of Tallaght. Huge amount of Hoops from that part of Dublin.
    I used to live in D15 for years and it's very handy to get to numerous grounds. Spin around the M50 to Tallaght. In the Navan road to Dalymount, or through the park and you're almost at Richmond.
    I'd also say that D15 is largely a soccer stronghold. I know Castleknock has rugby but most of D15 (blanch, clonsilla, corduff, huntstown, coolmine, hartstown, ongar, mulhuddart, tyrellsrown)
    would be much more into soccer than any other sport. It's a massive Dublin suburb and surprisingly wasn't all that well served by gaa clubs either - I believe Castleknock gaa club was only set up relatively recently.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I used to live in D15 for years and it's very handy to get to numerous grounds. Spin around the M50 to Tallaght. In the Navan road to Dalymount, or through the park and you're almost at Richmond.
    Bohs would be closest but it's not that much longer to Tallaght, Richmond or Tolka.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Was just doing some googling of D15 and saw a Fingal Co co page stating they expect the population of D15 to hit 140K by 2029. I knew it had a big population, but my god!
    We obviously have enough clubs in Dublin as it is, but if there was ever an area where a new club could take off you'd imagine it would be Blanchardstown. A reboot of Sporting Fingal perhaps? 😁 I know they had plans to move to Swords but I reckon Blanch would have been a better bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    We obviously have enough clubs in Dublin as it is, but if there was ever an area where a new club could take off you'd imagine it would be Blanchardstown. A reboot of Sporting Fingal perhaps? ��
    Accept the emoji, but hasn't the whole lesson of LOI expansion/contraction been that you can't succeed by just parachuting a brand new club into an area, solely because it has a large population but no other LOI club nearby?

Surely clubs have to grow organically from the grassroots up?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Was just doing some googling of D15 and saw a Fingal Co co page stating they expect the population of D15 to hit 140K by 2029. I knew it had a big population, but my god!
    We obviously have enough clubs in Dublin as it is, but if there was ever an area where a new club could take off you'd imagine it would be Blanchardstown. A reboot of Sporting Fingal perhaps? 😁 I know they had plans to move to Swords but I reckon Blanch would have been a better bet.
    Worked out there for years, with many people who were from or lived in the area. First thing I noticed was now many people supported the LOI. The 2nd thing was that it was spread around the 3 main Dublin clubs, and Shels. I would have expected it to be mainly Bohs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I would have expected it to be mainly Bohs.
    Maybe Bohs are missing a trick by not winning more fans from that area.
    I know rovers have a link with Corduff and one of the young lads getting game time recently is from Corduff.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    The 2nd thing was that it was spread around the 3 main Dublin clubs, and Shels..
    I have to admit, you made me chuckle there Get. Nice one. 👍
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    We have had some fans from South Tipp and East Kerry over the years, and we have had a few players come through from both areas. We currently have three Tipp players, two of whom (Cian Murphy and Cian Bargary) came through the academy, following in the footsteps of Stephen Napier and Ollie Cahill who both came back from the UK I believe in the 90s and Shane Long who also came through the academy.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    On what basis are you making this claim? I know nationalists who watch Coleraine.

This is an even ballsier claim ! On what basis are you saying protestats wouldn't go to watch Larne ? It's two-thirds protestant as a town. What has their religion got to do with it ?

I watched Newry a few times when they were in the second tier over the last few years - both home and away - and they had a lot more than two men and a dog. Have you actually bene to watch them, as it sounds like everything you've said in the above post is based on unfounded personal opinion/prejudice rather than actual fact ?
    I'll reply to each of your points.
    1. I worked in Coleraine for several years and the people I knew said they would travel to Derry City before going to Coleraine. I'm not saying nationalists dont go, in saying if they do go they are very few.
    2. Before Kenny Bruce took over Inver Park was a total sh1t hole and the team were a mess. Larne were 3 days from quiting as a club when KB walked in and saved them. Larne were lucky to get 100-150 people. Religion had nothing to do with it, any sane person wouldn't went to it. Now that facilities have improved the people are coming back. The 2 new stands behind the goals are fantastic and will bring even more.
    3. Regarding Newry, I will admit that my contact was between 2013 and 2017 when they were in the mid ulster league and their attendances were approx 40 - 60 people. Yes they have improved a been promoted and credit to them. Their stadium holds in the region of 2,000 - 3,000 but, can you honestly tell me they fill this every week or even half fill it. I think not!!. Regarding prejudice I can assure you this is not the case. I lived in NI for 25 years and played and coached football. I have been to and played on these grounds and everything I say is based on what I've saw, heard first hand or participated in.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I have to admit, you made me chuckle there Get. Nice one. 👍
    I aim to please😉

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    1. I worked in Coleraine for several years and the people I knew said they would travel to Derry City before going to Coleraine. I'm not saying nationalists dont go, in saying if they do go they are very few.
    2. Before Kenny Bruce took over Inver Park was a total sh1t hole and the team were a mess. Larne were 3 days from quiting as a club when KB walked in and saved them. Larne were lucky to get 100-150 people. Religion had nothing to do with it, any sane person wouldn't went to it. Now that facilities have improved the people are coming back. The 2 new stands behind the goals are fantastic and will bring even more.
    3. Regarding Newry, I will admit that my contact was between 2013 and 2017 when they were in the mid ulster league and their attendances were approx 40 - 60 people. Yes they have improved a been promoted and credit to them. Their stadium holds in the region of 2,000 - 3,000 but, can you honestly tell me they fill this every week or even half fill it. I think not!!. Regarding prejudice I can assure you this is not the case. I lived in NI for 25 years and played and coached football. I have been to and played on these grounds and everything I say is based on what I've saw, heard first hand or participated in.
    I don't think there anything wrong with what you're saying. But, in fairness to EYG, the choice of words may have been misinterpreted.

1) The three areas mentioned are majority unionist, and draw fans mainly from that community.
    2) For years Larne couldn't get people to go and watch.
    3) Don't see issue with what you originally said here, suppose depends on your definition of two men and a dog. What exactly is the appetite for senior football in Newry? No point comparing it with next door at Parc Esler. What kind of crowds are they getting down the road at Warrenpoint?

None of these things should be controversial.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Accept the emoji, but hasn't the whole lesson of LOI expansion/contraction been that you can't succeed by just parachuting a brand new club into an area, solely because it has a large population but no other LOI club nearby?

Surely clubs have to grow organically from the grassroots up?
    Might be the exception rather than the rule - but Wexford FC cant be ignored. Parachuted in a brand new club into Wexford into a new area where no LOI had been before and they're doing okay. Average between 350-550 the last 10 seasons and are standing on their own two feet now.

Clubs don't have to grow organically, although its probably favoured.
    Last edited by Buller; 30/08/2022 at 11:09 AM.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    This is literally what you said =

For years Larne couldn't get protestants to go to games until Kenny Bruce took over and completely rebuilt the stadium and the team went professional.
    You made Larne's lack of support a religious issue, when it clearly wasn't. Very clumsy wording here and on the other points, when you'd epxect someone who'd lived in NI for so long to be more aware of how they say things.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    Clubs don't have to grow organically, although its probably favoured.
    Sure look at Glasgow Rangers. Formed in 2012, climbed through the ranks of Scottish football and have now reached the Champions League group stages - all in only 10yrs of existence. An inspiration to football clubs everywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    This is literally what you said =

Ballymena, Coleraine and Larne are three very protestant towns and therefore draw their fans from the protestant community. These clubs would only have a tiny amount of Catholics if any. For years Larne couldn't get protestants to go to games until Kenny Bruce took over and completely rebuilt the stadium and the team went professional.
    You made Larne's lack of support a religious issue, when it clearly wasn't. Very clumsy wording here and on the other points, when you'd epxect someone who'd lived in NI for so long to be more aware of how they say things.
    I took 'Shinkicker' to mean that: "For years Larne couldn't even get Protestants to go to games, never mind Catholics, until Kenny Bruce took over..."

And as such, I thought his comments entirely unexceptional.

Meanwhile, to get back to Hinterlands etc, Larne's may actually be somewhat limited by being so close to Carrick R and Ballymena U, and not so far from Belfast.

Which itself shows that with decent investment in both players and facilities (esp), you can still grow support from your home patch, assuming that your patch has a solid base (what I always call a "proper footballing town")

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast