Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Vikings on top in title battle

  1. #1
    First Team
    Jul 2003
    The far end
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Vikings on top in title battle

    Vikings on top in title battle

    July 29, 2005

    Dublin City 3-1 Sligo Rovers
    Dublin City closed the gap on eircom League First Division leaders Sligo Rovers to just two points with an important victory at Richmond Park on Thursday night, debutant defender Aidan Lynch pointing the Vikings on the road to the three points with an early goal.

    Lynch joined Dermot Keely’s side from UCD during the week, and he got on the end of Robbie Collins’s 14th minute corner to make an instant impact for the Vikings.

    Collins made it 2-0 with his eighth goal of the season after 32 minutes, but Sligo gave themselves a chance of staging a recovery through Gerry Carr’s goal just before the break.

    Sligo were the side on the front foot through much of the second half as they sought a leveller, only for the home side to hit them with a sucker punch third 10 minutes from the end, David McGill’s attempted cross deflecting off Carr and past stranded Sligo keeper John O’Hara.

  2. #2
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dublin City cut Sligo Rovers' lead at the top of the eircom League First Division to two points with a 3-1 victory over the Bit O'Red at Richmond Park this evening.

    City stormed into a 2-0 lead on 31 minutes with a headed goal from new signing Aidan Lynch and a suspiciously offside goal from Robbie Collins.

    However, Rovers deservedly pulled a goal back just before the break with a header from substitute Gerry Carr, but despite sustained pressure in the second half failed to find the equaliser.

    City rubbed salt into their opponents' wounds when Carr deflected a cross into his own net ten minutes from time to put a flattering gloss on the scoreline.

    Played in slippery conditions at a rain-swept Richmond Park, the home side got off to a perfect start when Lynch, signed during the week on loan from UCD, rose highest to head home a corner from the left with 14 minutes gone.

    Rovers, who were hoping to at least maintain their five point lead over their nearest promotion rivals, made a change on 26 minutes with right-midfielder Stephen O'Donnell making way for Ian Rossiter, another loan signing who joined his home town club this week from Finn Harps.

    Rossiter slotted into his preferred right-back position to allow the impressive Rafael Cretaro a licence to attack in front of him.

    Rovers centre back Liam Burns then picked up an injury following a typically committed challenge with Collins and, despite receiving treatment, his movement was visibly curtailed when he returned to the pitch.

    City took full advantage of Burns' lack of mobility in the 31st minute when Collins raced clear of the Rovers defence despite looking marginally offside, but the centre forward kept his nerve to brilliantly round Rovers 'keeper John O'Hara and slot home from the tightest of angles.

    Carr replaced Burns soon after and pulled one back for the visitors when he headed home a right wing corner in first half injury-time to the delight of the large travelling support.

    Rovers took the game to their hosts in the second half as they tried in vain to find an equaliser, with Kupono Low, Cretaro and Carr all being presented with decent chances without seriously testing City 'keeper James Gallagher.

    Collins and David Freeman both missed the target with long range efforts at the other end, while the industrious Cretaro went close with two shots from distance, the first sailing over, but the second a dipping free-kick from just inside the City half which Gallagher did well to tip over.

    Rovers never looked like salvaging a point as the game drew to a close and City added a third ten minutes from time when the unfortunate Carr could only deflect a right wing cross past O'Hara.

    Referee Neill Doyle left the field at the end of the game to boos from the frustrated Rovers support, but the victory now re-opens the promotion race with just seven points separating Rovers and third placed Cobh Ramblers.

Similar Threads

  1. The Vikings are sinking.....
    By Poor Student in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04/11/2004, 8:42 PM
  2. Vikings march on
    By Ringo in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01/08/2003, 6:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts