Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carmarthen 5-1 Longford Town

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Carmarthen 5-1 Longford Town

Wow. What happened lads?

An out of season, part time, Welsh cup finalists, and to add to all that, they finished 6th in the league that consideredJimmy Aggrey a god. The easiest draw in Europe that an Irish team will ever get. They had to beg a prison to release a convict to make up the numbers - what happened?

Were you that poor? Thats more embarassing than the sellthick score, my god, my head - it hurts!
    Last edited by EnDai; 28/07/2005 at 8:37 PM.
    God

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how? why?
    Last edited by silentbob; 28/07/2005 at 8:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Horrible. This is disgusting .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    That's got to be the biggest and most embarrassing defeat for an Irish side since Pat's were beaten 5-0 twice by Zimbru. Though Dundalk did get walloped by Varteks a few seasons ago but Dundalk were in the 1st division and Varteks are a far better team than Carmathon. Jesus they needed to score 3 in the 2nd half to go through, they got 4!!! With Cork also losing at home not a great night for the co-efficient, at least they went through. If I'm not mistaken 2 Welsh clubs got through tonight, not bad for them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

As a Longford man and an Irishman I can safely say Ive rarely been more embarassed. That ranked up there with St. Pat's 10 nil aggregate hammering in the Qualifying phase of the CL a few years back, or Ireland's away games in Liechtenstein and Macedonia. The Longford Town players are a disgrace. Theyve just lost 5-1 to an amateur team who are in their pre-season and had 150 fans at their home European tie. Longford had 500 fans and they were the away team. I feel sorry for the great fans who went to great expense and will probably come on these boards in the coming days and make excuses for the team.

I hope LTFC never qualify for Europe again. Theyre an embarassment. Leave it to the big clubs. Well done Cork City on making it through. At least they have some sense of professionalism.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121
    That's got to be the biggest and most embarrassing defeat for an Irish side since Pat's were beaten 5-0 twice by Zimbru. Though Dundalk did get walloped by Varteks a few seasons ago but Dundalk were in the 1st division and Varteks are a far better team than Carmathon. Jesus they needed to score 3 in the 2nd half to go through, they got 4!!! With Cork also losing at home not a great night for the co-efficient, at least they went through. If I'm not mistaken 2 Welsh clubs got through tonight, not bad for them.
    You got that posted just before me. Zimbru was the team I was thinking of. Bad night for the co-efficient alright. Genuinely thought this would be the year the EL would move into the top ranked 30 European leagues.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    IDIOTS...

Matthews should be sacked.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    As a Longford man and an Irishman I can safely say Ive rarely been more embarassed. That ranked up there with St. Pat's 10 nil aggregate hammering in the Qualifying phase of the CL a few years back, or Ireland's away games in Liechtenstein and Macedonia. The Longford Town players are a disgrace. Theyve just lost 5-1 to an amateur team who are in their pre-season and had 150 fans at their home European tie. Longford had 500 fans and they were the away team. I feel sorry for the great fans who went to great expense and will probably come on these boards in the coming days and make excuses for the team.

I hope LTFC never qualify for Europe again. Theyre an embarassment. Leave it to the big clubs. Well done Cork City on making it through. At least they have some sense of professionalism.
    Strong words and that coming from a Longford Town fan. Whatever about last year against Vaduz( a stronger team than people would have presumed)this will give the knockers of the el something to harp on about. They were even making a joke of it on Newstalk, trying to see which result was worse, Longford or ******

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wow, relax on the matthews should be sacked bit there. talk about a knee jerk reaction

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Im well p!ssed off over tonight's result but there's no way Matthews should be sacked. Its the players that should shoulder the blame. Anyhow, I think LTFC have gone as far as they can as a club. One could forgive them for the results against Lovech and Vaduz, they were bigger clubs.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Im well p!ssed off over tonight's result but there's no way Matthews should be sacked. Its the players that should shoulder the blame.
    100% agreement here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [SIZE=1]I just want to add, that in all my ranting and complaining, I am genuinely sympathetic towards LTFC fans, especially those that travelled over to Wales. I'm sure you all feel bad enough as it is, but knowing that this year will be like last year with Vaduz, but even worse, is going to get very frustraing for Longford fans. What I'm trying to say is, I apologise in advance for anything I may say (or anyone else I'm sure), have absolutely nothing against the fans of Longford, but I now have a personal vendetta against your team! [/SIZE]
    God

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is far, far worse than that Pats result. This is a different league with different ambitions to then and they were in season facing out of season Pats with internationals playing for them.

This is a side who finished 6th and runners up in their cup in a league where Jimmy Aggrey was a star. They are part time, if even that, they had 150 fans there ffs! They are out of season and didn't even have the luxury of playing in their own ground.

Don't compare this to the Pats result, it is far worse on so many levels. This is, by an absolutley incredibley distance, the worst result in Europe by any EL side imo because of firstly how bad it was and secondly the level the league is at now compared to when we were regularly hammered.

Pathetic.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can definitely see a few war of words on this thread tomorrow!!

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Longford came to defend and where hoping for an away goal. Our lot turned up as team and got stuck in from the start, it was mainly one way traffic and your defence fell apart. Remember the first leg and change the shirts around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roberts
    Longford came to defend

Why am I not a bit suprised?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There you have it! They fĂșcking went out for a 0-0, and surprise surprise, it backfired. Thats unbelievable. Congratulations to Carmarthern! You won't play a worse team in Europe ever again. Is that a record win for a Welsh side in Europe? They're laughing at us on the mountains!
    God

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    He has to go, surely. Whatever about his culpability for this result, no honourable man's pride would permit him to continue drawing a wage after this result.

Drifting along on cloud nine after watching a great game at Richmond Park, when I received a text update from tonight's games. My blood ran cold.

How often have I said it? Revoke the FAI Cup winner's Uefa Cup spot. At least make them play-off against the third-placed team in the league. I don't care if it's in contravention of current regulations, twist the right arms in Switzerland.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Jebus .... that was a poor move which is being regretted right now.

Definitely has to be a lesson learnt for everyone in the league this week .... attacking/technical/first floor/creative football played is the only thing that will get you a result out of both legs in Europe .... i am almost convinced of it.

A real kick in the teeth for eL .... and i was hope it would be all sorted (as it looks like we have a chance of winning the league this year, the coefficient is really important to us this year)
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    The Longford Town players are a disgrace.
    So lads whats the story with the players supposedly in dispute over bonuses.
    If there is truth in it how could you continue to support these players as that surely would have affected morale.

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast