Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carmarthen 5-1 Longford Town

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir
    As for O'Brien - you're asking for trouble as a goalkeeper if you decide to try to dribble the ball past an attacker 20 yards outside your own penalty area.
    Christ!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    I'm sure if you play this game 10 times Longford will win it 8 times or 9.
    More like five draws, four 1-0 wins for Longford and one win for Carmarthen.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Anyone who says Alan Matthews should be sacked is a disgrace ok last night was a poor show but to sack him for that and disregard all the good work he has done for the club in one game is laughable. As for travelling by boat i think theres nothing wrong with that the nearest airport was a fair bit away so it made more sense to go by boat and then drive by coach sure they left on Tuesday plenty of time to prepare for the game.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Im sick, and as a LTFC fan I have to facethe barstoolers at work and cant even just pass it off as some other clubs problem or let down, we just have to take it on the chin.
    Poor B@stard... Had to say that I had the opposite feeling this week when I walked back into work in Cork with my head held high after driving up and down to Dublin to see Shels drew 0-0, even if it was a ****e game. My sympathies, as fans you deserve A LOT better. Like Shels last day, you need a player who will put his foot on the ball and keep it when you are under pressure -probably would've made a big difference last night?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...Was at the game last night and it was dreadful. Truely an embarrasment.

That said, would every B"ST&^D coming on to berate the fans for embarrasing the league sod off back to there own forums!

We know how bad a result it was but muppets coming on to slag off the fans (500 of whom travelled) are just as big an embarrasment to the League!!!
    We were born to hum.... hum god damn you!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    God help us
    You're beyond even that. Unfortunately. For you.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    I think everyone just needs to get behind Longford now. This was a massive blow for one if not the most progressive club in our league. A club that but for a few short years ago was wallowing in the depths of the first divsion. Its not the first and wont be the last time a league of ireland suffers a heavy defeat in europe to poor opposition - but this is football and anything can happen. I hope Longford qualify for Europe again this season as I'm sure everyone at the club will be out to put the record straight and show Europe what a great club Longford Town FC is.

Now get out and plough those fields!!!! And the cows arent going to milk themselves either!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are we going to get a match report at all? Or will we just keep jerking those knees?
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Many thanks to Poor Student and Gerrit for their sane and reasoned contributions. As to the rest of ye cop yourselves on with your hypocritical posturing on behalf of the good name of the league. Your motives are pure and simple. Kick an opposition club when they are down because you resent the success this small rural club has enjoyed in recent years.
    Personally I am not a fan of Matthews but this result reflects on the players more so than him and I am pretty sure some of you posting here would swop your existing managers for him if the chance arose. No one is posting that Digger should be shafted because he is a popular character.
    Yes we are all sick here in Longford over this disaster, but hopefully we can lower the flags of some of you lot before this years cup competitions are over.
    Hopefully the upside of this catastrophe is that the players will burst themselves for the remainder of the season to repay the efforts of their supporters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

"Hopefully the upside of this catastrophe is that the players will burst themselves for the remainder of the season to repay the efforts of their supporters"

Is this really likely to happen in all fairness? last night was a complete disaster. At half time everything seemed to be going in right direction but what a complete collapse. If we had gone out by the odd goal or aggregate then you could say unlucky butto concede 4 goals in the second half alone...when was the last time that happened our normally solid defence?
    Im bitterly disappointed not to see us make at least the second round. Most fans had said progress in UEFA cup and a high league finish would be more successful and progreeive than another league cup win. This result is surely the lowest point of the last few years and I just hope the club and players are now strong enough to bounce bak from this setback.
    Arsene Knows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    Longford are a waste of a European place, and always have been.
    Wise up, that is the sort of elitist attitude that has seen the 'minnows' of Europe marginalised from the big teams. European places are earned, and there seems to be a little too much fascism on here about improving 'the co-efficient'. Of course it is a priority but I think the only fans with the right to tear into Longford Town and their players are the Longford fans themselves - It's not really any other fans place to say they 'disgraced' the Eircom League etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Also lads, may I just say....I and many other Glentoran and Linfield fans will be rooting for you all the way in the League Cup (not sure if you are still in the FAI Cup), and would love to see Longford back in the Setanta Cup next season......seems to me there's alot of jealousy of your great wee club and their domestic achievements around these parts, from fans of clubs who were once a force but are now sh*t.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    feeling absolutely sick at the result. was dreading to read this thread. players must have thought they'd had one foot in the next round. but in all fairness a lot of fans thought they did too. havent seen the match reports yet, but i really hope this result doesnt affect our confidence for the rest of the season, but this will be a huge setback and being realistic, we have to get over this. and quickly.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    every league of ireland club has faced a drubbing in europe at some stage....we feel your pain longford - as for the cork and shels fans having a go - ignore - a lot of these kids only started followin league of ireland in recent seasons - they've no idea of the black black days even for their own clubs

and by the way Longford were there on merit so that rules that argument out straight away

I feared for Longford goin into this tie because they dont seem to have any sort of frontline to my mind...Myler hasnt really reproduced his old form for yiz (i believe some of his tally this season was v non league teams in the cup>?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsene About
    This result is surely the lowest point of the last few years and I just hope the club and players are now strong enough to bounce bak from this setback.
    A low point - but there have been a lot of high points in the last few years - I dont begrudge Longford any sucess they get (but i am ****ed off about last nights result - 5:1 ! ) & there will be more high points in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I have never been a huge Matthews fan and some fans just can't see why.. if last night isn't an eye opener then i guess he is still a "god" to some fans.
    Last year we were beaten by a poor team from liechtenstein who played in the swiss 2nd division.. some fans use the excuse they had 8 liechtenstein internationals.. so what they were crap. This year we have gone and embarassed Ireland even more by being beaten by a ragball rovers team with 11 pub regulars. Been beaten would have been bad enough but we were humiliated.. Ashamed can't describe the feelings a result like this brings up after a comfortable lead after the 1st leg. Matthews may be our most successful manager ever but when it comes to cracking the league and europe he has bottled it.. I think its time the ahole fooks off back to shels. We have been hurt to often and as a fan I can't take anymore. We don't deserve the chance to represent Ireland in Europe again for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Can i just say to all the idiots on here reminding us how bad a defeat that was to fcuk off,you have no idea the pain and embarassment us town fans are feeling at the moment.To the management and players,you are a disgrace and an embarassment.You have embarassed yourselves,the league and your loyal fans.I spent over an hour after the game last night aswell as the last 20 of the game with my head in my hands,i didnt sleep much last night and i didnt want to get out of bed this morning.The embarassment is unreal,no longer can any town fan hold their head high,no longer do i want to wear my jersey to another el teams euro match or an international.Its going to take alot to make me go out to flancare again,as much as i love the club,i cant see myself supporting that shower who have let me down so badly.The worst part is that they wont be able to make up for this,no matter what they do this season,this result will overshadow it.European matches are the most important for the clubs progression,league and fai cups mean fcuk all as far as i'm concerned.To cork and shels,well done,for the last 2 seasons i have watched as your teams progressed in europe through professionalism and good football,i watched your fans enjoying the magic of european football and hoped that this year we would enjoy that too but no.Good luck to cork in the next round and hopefully i'll make it down to cork for the home leg and good luck to shels against bucharest and if you make it through i'll definitely be in tolka for the home leg,not in my town jersey do.
    I have been embarassed to be a town fan before lack of fans,lack of atmosphere at games,the result to vaduz,mattthews negative tactics,banning rovers fans and now this is the last straw something needs to change.To Alan,you have been our most successful manager and will always be a legend in flancare,everyone is extremely grateful for what you have done but i'm afraid it may be time for you to leave.I've always been a big supporter and defender of you but no more.I've been able to put up with your negative tactics aslong as you obtained results but i've come to realise that you are just not interested in playing on the ground attacking football.I want a team that go out to win above all else,not defend and hope to sneak a goal.You have brought great success to the cub and kept us stable but stable is no longer enough we want to progress and we cant do that drawing all our games.You said earlier on in the week that it is hard to sign players,when after last night its going to be 100 times harder,no one is going to want to play for us and a fresh start is needed,a major shake up is needed.If matthews does leave it worried me to see who would replace him and would we be taking a chance on someone but i believe we have the players(except a striker) and all we need is a modern manager who can get his players to keep the ball down.
    To Digger,you are a legend but you have to hold your hand up and say that you were at fault last night and it dissapoints me that that will be your last european game.
    As i've said a major shake up is needed and i cant imagine people coming to flancare unless it happens quickly,now excuse me i'm going for a cry
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fosterdollar
    Are we going to get a match report at all? Or will we just keep jerking those knees?
    Not from me, im too píssed off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco
    now excuse me i'm going for a cry
    i have got that bit out of the way already

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I had my cry last night and most of today , Anyway despite the fact that I know we will get abused for this for a long time to come and for all the crap Ive taken from barstoolers today, Ive followed town long enough to be able to take it. What really gets me is how hard even I feel about heading out to Flancare again, to pick myself up. Now make no mistake I will do it, but if its hard for the likes of us we can forget a lot of the sunshine fans for a long time to come. Im worried about how this will affect our season, our gate and our progress as a club its devastating, yes its only a game, but sometimes thats all it takes. I reckon things might have been different for Waterford at the moment if they had won the cup last year, they might not be in the mess they are in they didnt and now they cant get the support in the gate. To Alan Matthews I say, I have been a firm and solid supporter of yours throughout your management. I wont stop supporting you over one result no more so than anyone should be proclaimed a great manager for one result, but there is serious work to be done in the league now and you have a mountain to climb to win back the fans, it can be done but only with a string of very very impressive results and a change in our football. I hope you can do it, but I cant deny that I think this result unnecessarily has left you on the ropes there is no room for any more poor form or poor football. The same goes for the players and all I can hope is that at different times you have beaten everyone in the league, you can do it and you owe it to the fans now to put in some serious performances if you care about them at all. You are probably gutted too, but this result should be a crossroads, either we dry the eyes, pick ourselves up and go out to prove what we really are domestically or we mope around, feel sorry and begin to slide back to the depths. I think the fans have done their bit, its up to manager and player to accept that they may have lost support and prove themselves worthy to win it back......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast