Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carmarthen 5-1 Longford Town

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Well done lads, you covered yourselves in glory for the second year running.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    How often have I said it? Revoke the FAI Cup winner's Uefa Cup spot. At least make them play-off against the third-placed team in the league. I don't care if it's in contravention of current regulations, twist the right arms in Switzerland.
    If it's still around next year put the winners into the inter toto and 3rd place into the UEFA cup imo. The cup winners are always the weakest teams so let them play in the competition that doesn't hurt our co-efficent.

Imagine what results Bohs would have gotten over the two legs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Btw there's not a chance the FAI will take the European place away from their competition. They will need the competition to have some added prestige when attracting sponsorship and they want value to their cup competition anyway.

To those calling for Matthews to be sacked. He has given Longford Premier Division stability and reached the last 4 consecutive cup finals winning three, plus he still has them in both cups this year including the semi finals of the league cup. It could be 5 finals in a row.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery Rover
    So lads whats the story with the players supposedly in dispute over bonuses.
    If there is truth in it how could you continue to support these players as that surely would have affected morale.
    They should all go down the road to Athlone now !!

Was there something about bonus's though ?? .... didnt hear that !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    To those calling for Matthews to be sacked. He has given Longford Premier Division stability and reached the last 4 consecutive cup finals winning three, plus he still has them in both cups this year including the semi finals of the league cup. It could be 5 finals in a row.
    God help us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Longford are a waste of a European place, and always have been.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    Longford are a waste of a European place, and always have been.
    They are there cos they won the cup .... any other team than deserved to be there over them should have tried to win the cup, simple as !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It is pie in the sky to suggest that the fai cup should lose its uefa cup place it will never happen and i hate to say it shows the standard is still low when longford can be in the hunt to win it 3 years in a row and then go and shame themselves in europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis
    it shows the standard is still low when longford can be in the hunt to win it 3 years in a row and then go and shame themselves in europe.
    Jesus they've only got past one round and that was against Waterford Chrystal FFS!!! Actually on second thoughts, wow what a performance that was from Longford against the star studded glassblowers!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis
    it shows the standard is still low when longford can be in the hunt to win it 3 years in a row and then go and shame themselves in europe.
    The standard of the cup maybe. Cup competitions are mainly down to luck, I'd be genuinley worried if they got in by qualifying through the league, but they didn't, if they did we could worry about standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    "Report" from fai.ie:

Carmarthen Town 5 Longford Town 1
    (Carmarthen Town won 5-3 on aggregate)

Longford bowed out of Europe in the most embarrassing way possible with this shocking capitulation in Newtown.

Alan Mathews’ Midlanders blew their 2-0 first leg lead in spectacular fashion in Newtown and it’s the Welsh minnows who, almost incredibly, enter the second round draw in Nyon, Switzerland at lunchtime today.

An unbelievable second half in which Carmarthen, forced to play 100 miles from their own unsuitable home ground, scored from a fluke and a dubious penalty to get right back into the tie had Longford on the ropes.

The impressive Danny Thomas then put Carmarthen in front in the tie before a Stephen O’Brien howler gifted substitute Nathan Cotterall an amazing fifth goal to leave Longford utterly dumbfounded.

Carmarthen Town: Pennock; Hardy, Carter, Giles, Lloyd; Aherne-Evans, Kennedy, Jones, Smothers (Cotterall, 59 mins.); Thomas (Walters, 84 mins.), Dodds.

Longford Town: O’Brien; O’Connor, Dillon, Ferguson, Paisley (Cawley, 79 mins.); Kirby, Martin, Fitzgerald (Murphy, 68 mins.), Byrne; Myler (Baker, 68 mins.), Keegan.
    The excuses are in bold font.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You are a f@cking joke of a club! 5 ****in 1? Embarassments!
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants
    "Report" from fai.ie:

Carmarthen Town 5 Longford Town 1
    (Carmarthen Town won 5-3 on aggregate)

Longford bowed out of Europe in the most embarrassing way possible with this shocking capitulation in Newtown.

Alan Mathews’ Midlanders blew their 2-0 first leg lead in spectacular fashion in Newtown and it’s the Welsh minnows who, almost incredibly, enter the second round draw in Nyon, Switzerland at lunchtime today.

An unbelievable second half in which Carmarthen, forced to play 100 miles from their own unsuitable home ground, scored from a fluke and a dubious penalty to get right back into the tie had Longford on the ropes.

The impressive Danny Thomas then put Carmarthen in front in the tie before a Stephen O’Brien howler gifted substitute Nathan Cotterall an amazing fifth goal to leave Longford utterly dumbfounded.
    The excuses are in bold font.
    Just got back from Newtown - and have to say that I have never witnessed a team fold in the manner Longford did tonight.

The penalty was a very good and very correct decision by the Andorran Referee - who actually had an extremely good game - as a defender, whilst shepherding an attacker away from goal, you DON'T go and stick your arms into his back.

As for O'Brien - you're asking for trouble as a goalkeeper if you decide to try to dribble the ball past an attacker 20 yards outside your own penalty area.

Longford just didn't turn up tonight - simple as that.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No team deserves to swallow all that's said here because of 1 single game. I mean, even Barcelona can lose to Carmarthen in a bad day. No reason IMO to suddenly blame Longford for everything that's wrong with the EL.

Coefficient... Oh well, I'm glad that the romance hasn't got out of football and that a minnow sometimes can stunt in the games you would least suspect it. It'd be a boring game if these things wouldn't happen in football. A coefficient is no reason to blame Longford for everything bad ; I'm sure they feel very bad already because of the result, and I'm sure if you play this game 10 times Longford will win it 8 times or 9. The day the bigger team wins this sort of games 10 times out of 10, is the day we need to worry.

Cork got through, Shels is still in the running. The world didn't stop turning, and sacking a coach for 1 game is completely ridiculous.
    And don't go on about Vaduz please... We're talking about a professional club who will play in Swiss top flight very soon, and who would probably easily get the same level as the top of the EL. What happened tonight is bad ; losing against Vaduz is nothing to be ashamed of.

Congrats to Carmarthen as well. 2 Welsh sides gone through ; I can't help feeling glad this is still possible in football that a minnow nation books occasional success in Europe.
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Just in the door myself from the Carmarthen game.

By God it was dreadful. I really can't believe what happened. I think the entire Longford team must have that psychological disorder that Mr T had that made him afraid of flying - cuz you'd think they really wanted to go out of Europe at this stage.

The team did just about enough in the first half, but then disappeared completely for the 2nd. From the very start of the second half they'd given the run of things to Carmarthen - who scored so early on that a lot of fans hadn't made it out of ther bar yet ! A couple of the Carmarthen goals really shouldn't have happened at this level of football, and that's what cost the tie.

I felt wick for the 500 Longford fans over for the game, who were brilliant and heavily outnumbered/outsang the locals. (Good to meet a few heads from this site as well though).

I hope Longford play like that against us in the League Cup semi.....

The one silver lining is that of all the countries for an Irish club to lose to, I'd rather it be a Welsh team than anyone else.
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 29/07/2005 at 10:54 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Cwmbran Love....

.....Unlucky i didnt think a welsh outfit would of hammered ya like that. Come on Cwmbran, Chris Coleman for the king of England ...like he shat himself in Cwmbran hangin out with Poncho and the likes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    I mean, even Barcelona can lose to Carmarthen in a bad day.
    Wtf???? Barcelona wouldn't even lower themselves to play them.

And don't go on about Vaduz please
    Sorry, but we will go on about it, ...for decades. No NL team should suffer the disgrace, humiliation, and embarrassment of losing to Vaduz.

We're talking about a professional club who will play in Swiss top flight very soon, and who would probably easily get the same level as the top of the EL. What happened tonight is bad ; losing against Vaduz is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Vaduz's translation in European football = shi-te. Shels and Cork would run rings around them. Vaduz represent a country with no national league, play in the Swiss lower divisions, and like Carmanthen, get walked all over by everyone else in Europe - bar Longford.

They let the league down last season, and this year, they've dragged it into the gutter. To barstoolers, Shels and Cork can win all they like in Europe. Longford losing to a Welsh team in Europe, is all they'll remember. How do you sell the league to them after a result like that?
    Last edited by mypost; 29/07/2005 at 4:10 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Look lads I think all we can to is apologise to everyone and all fans of the league for the result last night. We neither did ourselves or the league Justice and yes its a result we will be ashamed of and have to live with for years to come and probably puts an end to LTFC fans looking forward to a European tie if we ever qualified again. Its going to be hard to pick the club up and to get fans in the gate after this and yes there is no one to blame but LTFC. I can understand how you all feel, but I think we all appreciate the comments by Endai and others here because any semblence of support or understanding is more than helpful right now, everyone associated with the club is shattered. I cried myself to sleep last night and I havent cried since I was a child! This was a disaster Lovech and Vaduz we might have done better but anyone who follows football in those countries knows there was no shame in those games, last night was different. Im sick, and as a LTFC fan I have to facethe barstoolers at work and cant even just pass it off as some other clubs problem or let down, we just have to take it on the chin. I hope the players dont let results slide into freefall after this and the core support can remain steady, once again sorry and thanks to any of they guys on here who have shouted for us.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    How often have I said it? Revoke the FAI Cup winner's Uefa Cup spot. At least make them play-off against the third-placed team in the league.
    Great idea. Makes you wonder if they should do the same for the Setanta Cup although it obviously doesn't matter when compared to the importance of Irish clubs doing well in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thought I heard on the radio that the team travelled by boat to the match. Please correct me on that if I'm wrong on that. However, if that is really true .. its not exact the ideal way to travel for a European match, although perhaps finances dictated that decision.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast