Thread: Games weekend 12th to 15th August

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Since when have Pats charged €20 in?
    I thought it was still 15. I only paid 15 for the cup game against Waterford and at in the main stand.
    The CSKA game was 20 all right, but that's still a fair deal for a European tie imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I paid €20 yesterday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I paid €20 yesterday
    Main stand is twenty these days for adults. The rest of the ground is fifteen. I’m not sure of the price for away fans behind the goal when it’s open.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I think that the away section at the very end of the stand is €15. That’s because the home singing section at the other end is €15 and there has to be similar treatment for home and away fans. The main stand apart from the two end sections is €20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Just seen Doyle's red card from yesterday,awful harsh for me....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    I think that the away section at the very end of the stand is €15. That’s because the home singing section at the other end is €15 and there has to be similar treatment for home and away fans. The main stand apart from the two end sections is €20.
    Repeating myself but it was €20 yesterday. We all go in the one entrance under the arch and then there is only one entrance into the away section so there’s no segregation.

Edit- Unless there are 2 options on the website. Anyone I spoke went on and selected main stand as that’s the option that appeared and where we always are and the price was €20.
    Last edited by Nah Nah Nah Nah; 15/08/2022 at 5:10 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Derry looked good on Friday although hard to say how much of that was due to Rovers being knackered. It was a spicy enough affair and very entertaining for a scoreless draw.

Diallo gives Derry a much better base to work from and they looked really dangerous in parts. With Duffy back now and Connolly at the back I could see them going on a serious run. Thought McGonigle was very subdued though. They had a lot of pressure and chances but I can't remember him really threatening...has he gone off the boil a bit?

They are also a fairly big team which I hadn't thought before. All strong lads in good shape but taller than us as well in most areas. Didn't realize patching was such a unit. Always thought he was quite slight but compared to our midfield he looked like a real athlete.

For us it was great to see Jack back even if he looked well off the pace as you'd expect. At the same time, we lost Burkey. We don't seem to be able to get our best 11 going together this season which is a shame as I think we could get a few results in the groups with everyone firing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Patching as all the attributes to be a top player, if there is criticism its that he is not the bravest in the tackle and he can be moody if things are going against his side. The contrast with a fit McEleney maybe a few years ago, he drove his side on, maybe to a fault in taking on all responsibility. It's an issue that could be worked on with the right coach or sports psychologist. I dont think its Patching spitting the dummy, more that he thrives on a good performance and kicks on or he crumbles if not on song.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Are the FAI desperate to get Cork city up to the premier with dodgy decisions both Galway and Waterford have had red cards against them at Turners cross in first few min this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    2 red cards in 13 minutes what?!?!

** Flashscore lied to me!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Repeating myself but it was €20 yesterday. We all go in the one entrance under the arch and then there is only one entrance into the away section so there’s no segregation.

Edit- Unless there are 2 options on the website. Anyone I spoke went on and selected main stand as that’s the option that appeared and where we always are and the price was €20.
    Wonder was it an oversight then. I thought the whole stand was €20 these days and not certain parts of the stand. The season tickets went up a few quid this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I know football pundits are often masters at stating the obvious but how is it possible for Keith Tracey to contradict himself so often in one pod segment!? Push the game back to be fair, but fair enough for Derry to have the game played, help out for continental comps but delaying the domestic game would move it closer to a continental game. Delay a domestic game but domestically they'll be fine and will win the league with the big enough squad, its a poor decision but if he'd have no qualms if he was at Derry etc.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...ry-hoops-game/

If a game was played on a Thursday as is mostly the schedule it would be extremely unfair to play on a Friday, there is no doubting that, but the game was on Tuesday. For me it makes more sense to get the domestic game done to move on to prep for the EL playoff especially when there is a gap at the top of the league - its one of the reasons teams in Europe want to be fast out of the blocks and build a lead for when European games start. There isnt too much said about the Dundalk game on Sunday yet it is the same number of days and both Euro ties are away. Postponed games still need to be played and fixture congestion only gets worse and its possible that more players could become unavailable. Rovers flew in to Belfast too didnt they, I presume they stayed and trained closer to Derry rather than head home - a luxury that most Irish teams in Europe couldnt manage. A squad is there to be rotated unless a manager doesnt think that there is strength in depth and Bradley has been prepping for this with 2 11s basically. A fresh Derry side wasnt able to take full advanatge so it worked for Rovers by maintaining the gap. Its not unprecedented either with Dundalk playing every 3 or 4 days in 2016 and reached the cup final also. Would any club swap places in a heartbeat.....
    Last edited by Nesta99; 16/08/2022 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Magnificent team effort in turners cross by the blues. The players really worked the socks off having ten men most of the game. Britton once again showed why he was a great signing by Cork lol. I really enjoyed the game. The ref was poor but that standard these days. A young lad, Dean Larkin came on at centre back after minutes and put her huge performance in such a game. Thought the crowd was poor enough.

With the new owner we really could do with bringing in a couple players as the squad is paper thin heading into a crucial part of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I know football pundits are often masters at stating the obvious but how is it possible for Keith Tracey to contradict himself so often in one pod segment!? Push the game back to be fair, but fair enough for Derry to have the game played, help out for continental comps but delaying the domestic game would move it closer to a continental game. Delay a domestic game but domestically they'll be fine and will win the league with the big enough squad, its a poor decision but if he'd have no qualms if he was at Derry etc.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...ry-hoops-game/

If a game was played on a Thursday as is mostly the schedule it would be extremely unfair to play on a Friday, there is no doubting that, but the game was on Tuesday. For me it makes more sense to get the domestic game done to move on to prep for the EL playoff especially when there is a gap at the top of the league - its one of the reasons teams in Europe want to be fast out of the blocks and build a lead for when European games start. There isnt too much said about the Dundalk game on Sunday yet it is the same number of days and both Euro ties are away. Postponed games still need to be played and fixture congestion only gets worse and its possible that more players could become unavailable. Rovers flew in to Belfast too didnt they, I presume they stayed and trained closer to Derry rather than head home - a luxury that most Irish teams in Europe couldnt manage. A squad is there to be rotated unless a manager doesnt think that there is strength in depth and Bradley has been prepping for this with 2 11s basically. A fresh Derry side wasnt able to take full advanatge so it worked for Rovers by maintaining the gap. Its not unprecedented either with Dundalk playing every 3 or 4 days in 2016 and reached the cup final also. Would any club swap places in a heartbeat.....
    Rovers flew into Dublin.
    Bradser has been rotating but that's kind of gone out the window with the losses of madroiu, Byrne, pico , McCann and Burke being only fit for 30 mins. I still wouldn't swap but we can't afford to lose on Sunday.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Rovers flew into Dublin.
    Bradser has been rotating but that's kind of gone out the window with the losses of madroiu, Byrne, pico , McCann and Burke being only fit for 30 mins. I still wouldn't swap but we can't afford to lose on Sunday.
    Unfortunately Success Means hard work. if league games are postponed and you make group stage in Europe and stay in the Cup the back log will be at the end of the season and the complaint will be "we have to play 2 games a week" or something on those libes. I don't say the above begrudgingly. I wish my team were in Europe or pushing for a place in Europe. Good management will prioritise the competitions, let's say Europe and the league, then change the squad for Cup games go as far as you can and bow out graciously. With the squad Rovers have they'll probably still win it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Rovers flew into Dublin.
    Ah just had caught this but didnt know it didnt happen.

....planning on flying into Belfast on their return, rather than Dublin, to prepare for Friday’s league game.
    https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...riday-24704801

I still think too much is made of travel on this small island, a mindset, where a 2 or 3 hour coach trip is just up the road for an awful lot of clubs in other countries. It could be the Canadian better half's influence on me!

Those 5 players are a major loss considering the how this situation was planned for, they're a bigger loss in the European context as domestically Rovers can cope albeit by a lesser margin. Lose Gaffney and its up in the air and could be a sniff of someone pinching the league but Derry or Dundalk are more liable to drop points against anybody especially with the amount of Dundalk draws/away form. A run of 3 or 4 wins puts others on the coat tails too. Bryne and Burke particularly injury prone or just a run of bad luck, Neither have returned from stints abroad in better shape?

Considering games cane be postponed for back to back away European games and was at the discretion of Mark Scanlon is surprising there wasnt a move and why not if it didnt need Derry to agree. It was possibly recognised that kicking the can down the road could leave things tougher again.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 16/08/2022 at 9:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Unfortunately Success Means hard work. if league games are postponed and you make group stage in Europe and stay in the Cup the back log will be at the end of the season and the complaint will be "we have to play 2 games a week" or something on those libes. I don't say the above begrudgingly. I wish my team were in Europe or pushing for a place in Europe. Good management will prioritise the competitions, let's say Europe and the league, then change the squad for Cup games go as far as you can and bow out graciously. With the squad Rovers have they'll probably still win it.
    To be fair to Rovers they weren't looking for the game to be postponed just played on Sunday or even Saturday.
    Also Rovers have two games a week every week until the end of season (11 weeks left: 12 league matches, at least 1 cup game and 8 in Europe) so they have to play the games. As every match from now on in Europe will be a Thursday that means every league match will be a Sunday from now on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    To be fair to Rovers they weren't looking for the game to be postponed just played on Sunday or even Saturday.
    Also Rovers have two games a week every week until the end of season (11 weeks left: 12 league matches, at least 1 cup game and 8 in Europe) so they have to play the games. As every match from now on in Europe will be a Thursday that means every league match will be a Sunday from now on.
    I don't get this.

I mean if the euro game was brought forward because Derry wouldn't rearrange then maybe it flies. But Tuesday to Friday is same recovery as Thursday to Sunday. Surely more recovery/prep for the following euro fixture would be preferable?

And as I said previously Friday was only day suited Derry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Players didn't get home until Wednesday morning and the heat at pitch level was intense so you can assume they were pretty drained, .
    That would leave them with a session on Thursday and then heading to Derry Friday. Another 24 hrs recovery would have been welcome as was shown by the below par performance.
    Preparation time for the away leg in Hungary isn't the same as the players wouldn't be as tired nor travel as complicated getting back from Derry on Sunday, the players would be asleep in their beds Sunday night.
    In terms of this weekend against Dundalk the players will have the same situation in terms of days recovery but its unavoidable as the game is already put back to Sunday. The point about the Derry game is it could have been pushed back but Derry decided to stick to their guns and try to catch Rovers out. They were entitled to do so but if the boot is on the other foot next year i wouldn't expect much co operation form the league.
    I expect another below par performance from Rovers against Dundalk or a lot of rotation and a weaker but more energetic team.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 16/08/2022 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Players didn't get home until Wednesday morning and the heat at pitch level was intense so you can assume they were pretty drained, .
    That would leave them with a session on Thursday and then heading to Derry Friday. Another 24 hrs recovery would have been welcome as was shown by the below par performance.
    Preparation time for the away leg in Hungary isn't the same as the players wouldn't be as tired nor travel as complicated getting back from Derry on Sunday, the players would be asleep in their beds Sunday night.
    In terms of this weekend against Dundalk the players will have the same situation in terms of days recovery but its unavoidable as the game is already put back to Sunday. The point about the Derry game is it could have been pushed back but Derry decided to stick to their guns and try to catch Rovers out. They were entitled to do so but if the boot is on the other foot next year i wouldn't expect much co operation form the league.
    I expect another below par performance from Rovers against Dundalk or a lot of rotation and a weaker but more energetic team.
    Derry standing firm was to do with attendance, whatever perceived advantage was by the by.

And as I said before if they'd been pushed to play the Saturday or Sunday the game would most likely have been postponed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast