Wexford v Cobh
    Waterford v Galway

Monday 15th

Cork v Waterford 19:45

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    A weekend with loads of matches with plenty at stake.
    Bohs need a win after the Sligo loss but Dundalk cant really afford to drop points if they are to take advantage of Rovers now very heavy schedule.
    Derry v Rovers is massive and a real 6 pointer , If Rovers were to win they would go 11 clear of Derry which would be a hell of a lead with only 11 games left.
    UCD v Harps could even be the biggest game of the weekend with a positive result for either side massive in the race to avoid automatic relegation.

In the first division Cork and Galway both play Waterford and with Cork using up their game in hand this weekend could either blow the title race open or Cork could put one hand on the trophy.

Dont know why Derry Rovers isnt on Sunday like the Pats match , i assume Derry have refused to move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Huge week for us. We play three Munster derbies in 8 days. Treaty and Waterford at home, Cobh away. If we can get 7 points it would put a lot of pressure on Galway assuming they win their games. On the other hand, Waterford are a much better team than they were early in the season and probably a bit annoyed about Leon Britton moving to City. Treaty have been very poor every time we've played them but have given Galway and Waterford some tough match-ups so I'd expect them to come in with something to prove. Cobh away is never an easy game for us, we've won there twice this season, but by an odd goal each time and we haven't played well either time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    If Rovers win this weekend at derry that should be the league wrapped up in my view.
    Winner of ucd and Harps should end up in the play offs with a 50/50 chance of remaining in the division next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Massive week in the First Division.

Cork are in the driving seat for the title, and a lot could go their way this weekend, depending on results and scenarios.

It's a big ask for GUFC to go to Waterford and win, they (Waterford) have improved a bit, it won't be easy at the RSC. If GUFC do win, then that basically kills ANY slim hope Waterford have of winning the title and I doubt they'll care too much about beating Cork in the remaining games against them, as they'll basically be preparing for the play offs.

Cork will roll over Treaty, the big question is how the game will go at the RSC. If we don't win and Cork beat Treaty as expected, even the most blindly optimist fan would have to admit we're heading for the playoffs then.

Treaty will be no trouble to Cork whatsoever, I'd expect them to lose by 2-3 against Cork as usual. Treaty players only up their game when they play GUFC because they wanna shove one up Caulfield's jaxy, half of the team is from Galway. Ludden and Curran didn't even travel to the last game against Cork, both played in the draw against GUFC of course though.
    Last edited by Olander; 10/08/2022 at 1:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Huge game at Belfield,difficult to see either of us taking many points in the games against other teams,must win for both ….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    If Rovers win this weekend at derry that should be the league wrapped up in my view.
    Winner of ucd and Harps should end up in the play offs with a 50/50 chance of remaining in the division next year.
    What would make things very interesting is a Dundalk Derry win with Dundalk playing Rovers at home after, and the Dublin Derby after that again. There could be a major swing in the title race either way though something inbetween is most likely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Dont know why Derry Rovers isnt on Sunday like the Pats match , i assume Derry have refused to move.
    Brandywell isn't available on Saturday or Sunday, apparently.

Rovers fans may talk about a title race, but there just isn't one. I suspect Rovers will come up and win the match, can't trust us not to concede. I'd happily take a draw at this point.

UCD-Harps is the biggest game of the weekend. Prior to last weekend, I'd have fancied UCD, but after Harps result against Drogs, ye can't be sure. Harps would be the happier side to leave with a draw, I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

Rovers fans may talk about a title race, but there just isn't one. I suspect Rovers will come up and win the match, can't trust us not to concede. I'd happily take a draw at this point.

UCD-Harps is the biggest game of the weekend. Prior to last weekend, I'd have fancied UCD, but after Harps result against Drogs, ye can't be sure. Harps would be the happier side to leave with a draw, I suppose.
    What's happening in the Brandywell on Saturday and Sunday?
    it seems like an evil done to us by the Government and Derry city.
    You should be aware that our players will respond like lions to this provocation.
    And we are being denied landing rights in Derry and have to fly into Knock instead.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Fear the Harps revival has come at the wrong time for UCD. We were manky for 30 minutes against Drogs and game should have been over before Drogs got complacent and let us back into the game. If Harps win, that's us slipping through the trap door, a students win and we are at least still alive. Abroad on holidays, so will be doing my very best to convince herself that we might be watching a match, but think it's likely to be Livescore alerts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1 point from two games against the only two teams below us in the last few weeks - not what we need at all.

Over the next few weeks we've Derry, Sligo, Pats and Dundalk away.

Tomorrow might be our last chance at a few points for a while - haven't gotten a point off Shels this year tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    You should be aware that our players will respond like lions to this provocation.
    And we are being denied landing rights in Derry and have to fly into Knock instead.
    Friday would be only day that suits Derry, in terms of attendance, especially true this weekend.

If the fai were to press for this particular Saturday or Sunday then it'd be postponed about five mins later in light of 'security concerns'.

Rovers just going to have to learn to live with it. There what 13 weekends before end of season, they have 12 League games plus cup. And three or four midweeks free. Possible 2 games in 24hrs on last day of season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Ring McCadden at the Star and get him to write an article about how disgusting it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Ring McCadden at the Star and get him to write an article about how disgusting it is.
    Someone is out of the loop!

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    A very important weekend in the title race in the First Division. Treaty at home for us is what should be a very winnable game. But not taking anything for granted, regardless of our record against them this year. Galway with a tough trip to Waterford. If Galway were to lose and we were to win, then we would be 6 points ahead with a game in hand on Monday. That would be the best case scenario for us. Waterford at home and then Cobh away next week, if we could pick up maximum points that would be fantastic. If we won on Monday that would be 9 points clear which would be a nice buffer when you consider we still have to travel to Waterford and Galway.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Hoping tonight is the night we finally beat Cabo/Bray without any fuss. Seems to be a mental block any time we play a Devo team. Also hoping there wont be any hassle at the game compared to our last trip there.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

This is bizarre , if you win tonight you are 5 points behind with 11 games to go and we will be playing Thursday Sunday Thursday for the rest of the season.
    At what point will there be a title race when you are 5 points ahead?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    It's a title race but I'd be keeping cagey if I was a Derry fan as well. Higgins knows he is in one. Derry have spent enough and had enough points on the board after the first series to be in it and I wouldn't even write off Dundalk yet. If Jack Byrne ever recovers we will win it by 6-9 points but we are an injury to Gaffney, O'Neill or Burke away from dropping plenty of points. And that's likely to happen with our schedule.

That said if Derry can't beat us tonight after us playing in Europe then it's looking good.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 12/08/2022 at 5:07 PM.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Hard to believe this is our first home game since July 1st. No idea what side turns up tonight. I thought we were finding a bit of form the last few games since the new signings came in but then there was the Sligo game. Playing at home doesn’t exactly increase our chances of a win but it is one we must win to have any hope of staying in the hunt for Top 4. Draw incoming…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    This is bizarre , if you win tonight you are 5 points behind with 11 games to go and we will be playing Thursday Sunday Thursday for the rest of the season.
    At what point will there be a title race when you are 5 points ahead?
    Rovers are seriously battle hardened by Europe at this stage. I think they can easily get a draw up there tonight without too much hassle. If they really fancy it tonight they will win. There is only the illusion of a title race now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast