Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anselmo Garcia MacNulty D PEC Zwolle b.2003

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

Anselmo Garcia MacNulty D PEC Zwolle b.2003

Starts tonight for NAC Breda in their season opener, currently one-nil up against Helmond
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/12/2023 at 12:30 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Clean sheet and 90 minutes at centre half for him on his debut in a 1-0 win, anyone watch it? Good start for a 19 year old defender

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Hey tets, born in 2003

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Clean sheet and 90 minutes at centre half for him on his debut in a 1-0 win, anyone watch it? Good start for a 19 year old defender
    MOTM I heard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Doing well for NAC Breda. Article posted on voetbalzone.nl, ran it trough google translate. Full article in Dutch here https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=414022

Thursday, 26 January 2023 at 14:00 • Jordi Tomasowa • Last update: 10:57

The Kitchen Champion Division has been a breeding ground for domestic and foreign talent for decades and this season again many football players with potential are walking around at the second level. Voetbalzone, the official media partner of the Kitchen Champion Division, highlights one of these talents every week, this time focusing on Anselmo García Mac Nulty, the Irish-Spanish defender who is hired by NAC Breda from VfL Wolfsburg this season.

By Jordi Tomasowa

The resignation seems gone at the training complex of NAC. Shortly after Christmas, Robert Molenaar was fired by the Pearl of the South. Club icon Ton Lokhoff then temporarily took over the honors. Jong PSV and TOP Oss won and Helmond Sport played a draw. The highlight was the bizarre cup thriller against FC Eindhoven earlier this month. Eighteen-year-old Rowan Besselink shot NAC in extra time from extra time to the next round: 2-1.

At Lokhoff and commissioner of technical affairs Pierre van Hooijdonk, the day after the announcement of Peter Hyballa as the new trainer of NAC, happiness prevails. Chagrin about the disappointing first half of the season has also made way for optimism within the group of players, as it turns out when we speak to Mac Nulty. The broad smile on the face of the nineteen-year-old defender betrays that a line has been drawn under the difficult six months with nine defeats and bad victories. “We started the season well, but that's how football works. “You have good and less good periods. We know that we could not have performed to our liking in the first half of the season.”

“NAC is a club that has to compete for the top places. Our goal is now to achieve participation in the play-offs”, continues Mac Nulty, who only missed three league matches this season due to a suspension. The defender is a stronghold in the Breda defense, but he does not dare to call himself a public favorite. “You have to ask the fans that. I hope they are happy with me. I always give everything for this club and the supporters. Of course there are strong and less strong performances, but I always try to do my best.”

Born in the Spanish city of Seville, Mac Nulty's dream came true when he was given a trial at Real Betis at the age of eight. “I managed to convince the club and eventually played there until the Under 16. I am very grateful to Betis, because I learned all the basic skills there. I really enjoyed that time and made a lot of friends.” While the defender had long set his sights on breaking through in the first team of Betis, he consciously opted for his first foreign adventure at a young age. “I received a call from my agent. He told me that VfL Wolfsburg was interested in me. I went to Germany to see the facilities at the club and I was very impressed. It was a great opportunity to go to Germany and develop myself as a footballer.”

Although it wasn't easy to leave his family and friends behind, Mac Nulty knew that moving to Wolfsburg was the right one for him. “I really love football and did everything I could to become a professional at that time. I immediately felt at home, even though I didn't expect this. A different language was spoken and you have to adapt to a different culture. But football is universal and I am a very open person. I trained well right away and immediately played everything in the youth of Wolfsburg, which made it easier to acclimatize.”

The connection with Lokhoff, who himself worked at Wolfsburg for several years, led Mac Nulty to NAC last summer. “Lokhoff called me that NAC wanted to hire me. He told me all about the city and that NAC is a big club in the Netherlands. I immediately started searching YouTube and saw videos of the supporters and the Rat Verlegh Stadium and thought: wow. It felt like a good step for my career because I had to play at a high level. Wolfsburg's first team was still a bit too ambitious at that time.

The high expectations about the club and the supporters immediately came true for Mac Nulty. “Yes, I feel really good here,” he says enthusiastically. “Our first competition match was at home against Helmond Sport. We won 1-0 and after the game all the supporters were cheering and singing. That was fantastic, I really had goosebumps. I come from Seville and the people there also have a huge passion for football. It was a dream come true to play in front of so many great supporters.”

In addition to Mac Nulty, Fabio Di Michele Sanchez also made the temporary switch from Wolfsburg to Breda last summer. “Of course it's always easier when you go to a new club with someone else,” explains Mac Nulty.

Mac Nulty also had few adaptation problems within the lines. “Football in the Netherlands can be compared to football in Spain. Here teams want to play football and play on possession and in Germany football is played more physically. More duels are fought and the game is more direct there. What do I prefer myself? I don't really care. As a player you naturally want to have the ball, but I was also able to develop myself physically in Germany.”

There have been two highlights for the defender so far this season. Winning the Brabant derby against Willem II, but especially the recent victory over FC Eindhoven in the TOTO KNVB Cup, is something Mac Nulty remembers. “That was one of the craziest nights I've ever had. It's because of evenings like these that you are a professional football player. We made it 1-1 in the 91st minute and in extra time Rowan Besselink was responsible for the 2-1 in the 121st minute. That was fantastic. The supporters in the stands went wild. FC Eindhoven is certainly a good team, but the supporters really pushed and supported us to reach the next round. Of course we had the belief that we could get an extension out of it. You always have to keep fighting until the last seconds.”

Mac Nulty describes himself as an aggressive defender who likes to tackle and duel. “But I am also comfortable on the ball and I am not afraid to take care of the build-up.” At a young age, Carles Puyol and Sergio Ramos in particular were idols for the Sevillian. For me they are the best Spanish centre-backs of all time. At the moment I mainly watch Virgil van Dijk and Rúben Dias. They are both strong defenders. They have a certain appearance and are leaders of their team. That is also what I want to be at NAC. As a defender you have to be a leader and help the team because you have the whole field in front of you. If an attacker sees that you're not talking and your shoulders are down, he'll think he has something to gain. Your body language is important. You want to exude leadership and give your opponent the feeling that there is nothing to gain.”

Mac Nulty says he is still learning every game. “This is my first season in professional football. There are very experienced attackers in the Kitchen Champion Division. Martijn Kaars from Helmond Sport, for example, had very good timing when it comes to runs behind our defense. I also liked Lennart Thy, the striker of PEC Zwolle, but for me the most difficult striker to play against was Thomas Verheydt of ADO Den Haag.” Mac Nulty can still remember the first duel with the physically strong target man. “A long ball was played from the back and I tried to give him a shoulder push, but he looked like a wall. I thought, ****, he's very strong. Everyone told me he's really good, but you really don't see it until you play against him. It was a very tough match. We lost in the end and he scored twice with his head.”

Since March 2018, Mac Nulty can call himself a youth international of Ireland. “My mother is Irish and I have a lot of family living there. When I was fourteen I started talking to the Football Association of Ireland. I have now played for the youth teams as far as Ireland Under 21. It is a huge honor for me to represent my country. Hopefully I can make my debut for the 'great' Ireland in the future. A lot of young guys are playing there now, so there are definitely opportunities. I just have to keep working hard and maybe my debut will follow.”

For the time being, however, the focus is on NAC, which wants to start the way up with the return of Hyballa. “No, I didn't know Hyballa yet, but he had been to the training complex before,” says Mac Nulty. “He spoke to the group of players today (last Thursday, ed.) And I also had a short conversation with him afterwards. He will take over the daily management after the away game with TOP Oss. It is nice that a new trainer has now been appointed and that I can learn from them. Personally, I just want to make as many minutes as possible and record more clean sheets. It is always good for goalkeepers, but also for defenders. If the opponent doesn't score, you can't lose”, the spontaneous defender concludes in his Cruijffian way.

Passport:
    Name: Anselmo Garcia Mac Nulty
    Club: NAC Breda
    Position: centre-back
    Height: 187 cm
    Number of matches: 18
    Strengths: aggressiveness, tackling, determination

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Centre back is not a position that we're desperate to see players come through in obviously but, out of the collection of (often wonderfully named) players from around continental Europe that we've brought into the national youth setup in recent years, he's the one I'd have the highest hopes for. Especially as Conor Noß seems to have fallen away in Germany this season.

Hopefully Anselmo will be part of our Under 21 squad this campaign. He ticks the Jim Crawford requirement of going out and playing first team football so hopefully he doesn't lose out just because he's not based in Ireland or the UK.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interviewed on goal.com, in Spanish: https://www.goal.com/es/noticias/ves...af432246da18c0
    some (badly) translated segments
    How is it to play with the Irish Under-21?
    'The truth is that with Ireland I'm doing really well and I've been playing with them from the Under-15 and they've treated me very well from day one. It is a pride to represent the one who is also my country, that of my mother and that of the whole part of the family. It's a very nice project. In September we stayed at the gates of the European Under-21 in the playoff against Israel and we were left with the feeling that we could have been there. We have started a new campaign and there is a lot of hope in us."

Have you opted for Ireland or open the door to Spain?
    "In football you never know. I am very happy in Ireland because they have trusted me from day one and it would be a dream to debut with the Absolute. I can't close any doors but I'm very happy in Ireland. The selector follows the Under-21 closely, talks a lot with our coach and comes to our games. There are several comrades who were with me in the Under-21 who are already in the Absolute, that is a sign that they trust and that it is not impossible to reach the Absolute. They are not shaken by the pulse to trust young people."

Who was your idol?
    "My favourite Irish player is Roy Keane because he was very passionate and very good leader. From a young age I looked at Puyol a lot for his character as leader and when I grew up a little bit in Sergio Ramos. He's Sevillian like me and he's got it all: fast, aggressive but very good with the ball. Those three are the ones I look at the most."

Your mother is from County Clare and there the king sport is hurling, has he ever played?
    "I played, yes. I've got cousins there and I've played with them but they got mad at me because when you had to use the stick, I was going to get hit with my feet that's what I know how to use. I've gone to watch matches too and it's super fun to watch, I think it's the fastest sport in the world and anyone who goes to Ireland I recommend you see it.'
    Currently, the U21s don't play again until September, so unless there's a training camp or a friendly organised in the summer, and he continues to play well in the Eerste Divisie, there's no harm in bringing him into the squad against Greece and Gibraltar.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 30/03/2023 at 2:31 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Surely there will be a training camp like Crawford's first year in charge. Someone on YBIG made a good point when taking about B/U23s teams that a good thing to do would be our U21s play against fringe senior players.

Gives the U21s better opposition to play and they've played a few U23s teams over the years with the Toulon tournament and then Australia last year. Could make it Ireland U21s vs Ireland U23s. Gives senior management a chance to look at the current U21s against the former U21s. Bring back the B team for a couple of games should also be a consideration. Mick used it in his first stint and Trap used it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagger View Post
    Doing well for NAC Breda. Article posted on voetbalzone.nl, ran it trough google translate. Full article in Dutch here https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=414022

Thursday, 26 January 2023 at 14:00 • Jordi Tomasowa • Last update: 10:57

The Kitchen Champion Division
    Sounds like a good lad. Hopefully he doesn't let his talent go down the drain in the Kitchen Division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Surely there will be a training camp like Crawford's first year in charge. Someone on YBIG made a good point when taking about B/U23s teams that a good thing to do would be our U21s play against fringe senior players.

Gives the U21s better opposition to play and they've played a few U23s teams over the years with the Toulon tournament and then Australia last year. Could make it Ireland U21s vs Ireland U23s. Gives senior management a chance to look at the current U21s against the former U21s. Bring back the B team for a couple of games should also be a consideration. Mick used it in his first stint and Trap used it.
    Long been an advocate for a home based side too. Perhaps the opportunity would be there for a home based vs under-23 selection.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    What a great name. It's not quite Albéric Joseph Rodolphe Marie Robert Ghislain O'Kelly de Galway, but it's still a great name.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Through to the semi finals of the Eerste Divisie Play Offs with NAC Breda after knocking out Maastricht 5-1 on aggregate.
    Suspended for the first leg against Emmen on Tuesday, but is eligible for the second leg on Saturday.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E...isie#Play-offs
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 28/05/2023 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interviewed in today's independent
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...031983198.html

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Could be something, could be nothing. MacNulty was in the stands for PEC Zwolle's preseason game against FC Twente. He was linked with a move to PEC earlier in July, not clear if it was a loan or permanent though.

PEC Zwolle were promoted from the Eerste Divisie last season, so a move would mean top level football in the Netherlands for him
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 25/07/2023 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Could be something, could be nothing. MacNulty was in the stands for PEC Zwolle's preseason game against FC Twente. He was linked with a move to PEC earlier in July, not clear if it was a loan or permanent though.
    PEC Zwolle were promoted from the Eerste Divisie last season, so a move would mean top level football in the Netherlands for him
    Turns out it was something, he's signed a 12 months contract - with the option of a further year - with PEC Zwolle
    https://peczwolle.nl/nieuws/anselmo-...bij-pec-zwolle
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/07/2023 at 1:02 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Turns out it was something - he's signed a 12 months contract, with the option of a further year - with PEC Zwolle
    https://peczwolle.nl/nieuws/anselmo-...bij-pec-zwolle
    second tier dutch football... we've been down this road before but best of luck to the lad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    PEC Zwolle play with a back three and two of their starting three are 36 (LCB) and 37 while the other CB was recently sold to Feyenoord for €2.7m.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    second tier dutch football... we've been down this road before but best of luck to the lad.
    It's not second tier - they were promoted last season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's not second tier - they were promoted last season.
    ah fair play, that makes a difference as he'll be facing some good quality opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Starts the new Dutch league season on the bench

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast