Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 115 of 115

Thread: Games weekend 5th to 7th August

  1. #101
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    93
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Imagine if Ollie Byrne was still around , he'd be doing some digging through the rule book to get Pats a 15 point deduction

  2. #102
    Apprentice mackend6's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    20
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    Imagine if Ollie Byrne was still around , he'd be doing some digging through the rule book to get Pats a 15 point deduction
    There was a similar incident between Drogheda and Shels years ago, early 2000's. I don't remember the details but I believe Shels were the team in Europe at the time, they asked for the game to be moved from Friday to Sunday which was accommodated but then they asked to move the game from Sunday to a different day which they were told to take a hike over. I believe at the game Ollie had a physical interaction with a local Drogheda journalist as well.

    Maybe some Shels/Drogs fans with better memories than me will remember the specifics.

  3. #103
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    164
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    Imagine if Ollie Byrne was still around , he'd be doing some digging through the rule book to get Pats a 15 point deduction
    His spirit lives on in Drumcondra.

  4. #104
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    808
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    197
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mackend6 View Post
    There was a similar incident between Drogheda and Shels years ago, early 2000's. I don't remember the details but I believe Shels were the team in Europe at the time, they asked for the game to be moved from Friday to Sunday which was accommodated but then they asked to move the game from Sunday to a different day which they were told to take a hike over. I believe at the game Ollie had a physical interaction with a local Drogheda journalist as well.

    Maybe some Shels/Drogs fans with better memories than me will remember the specifics.
    I think there a couple of games at Tolka around 04/05 where there was aggro and verbals going with Ollie and some Drogheda personnel. One of the games he was accused of assaulting that Drogheda journalist but everyone who witnessed confirmed he never put a hand on him
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

  5. #105
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,455
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,257
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,148
    Thanked in
    806 Posts
    Has there ever been a profile piece or biography on Ollie - from suing his own club to doing time never mind the later fun and games at Shels under his charge, it could make a great read! Isnt there acts of assault possible without ever touching a person?

  6. #106
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    35,564
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,160
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,259
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    Yep - battery is when you actually lay hands on someone. Assault is making someone think you're going to lay hands on them.

  7. #107
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,399
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    167
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    753
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yep - battery is when you actually lay hands on someone. Assault is making someone think you're going to lay hands on them.
    im putting that in the things i learned today thread

  8. #108
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    765
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    210
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    144
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    More info on the Pats flight situation here. They had 2 charter flights home cancelled on them and then had to get players home on several separate flights, arriving between 6am and 6pm on Sunday. If shels are given a walkover in those circumstances it would be an absolute joke of a decision

    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...swaps-27712374
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  9. #109
    Apprentice mackend6's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    20
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Has there ever been a profile piece or biography on Ollie - from suing his own club to doing time never mind the later fun and games at Shels under his charge, it could make a great read! Isnt there acts of assault possible without ever touching a person?
    Newstalk had a documentary piece about him - more info here https://www.newstalk.com/sport/never...es-reds-692213

    I can't see the actual file though so you may need to go looking to find it.

  10. #110
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    6,009
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    468
    Thanked in
    277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    More info on the Pats flight situation here. They had 2 charter flights home cancelled on them and then had to get players home on several separate flights, arriving between 6am and 6pm on Sunday. If shels are given a walkover in those circumstances it would be an absolute joke of a decision

    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...swaps-27712374
    It's embarrassing that the first two words of that headline are 'Liverpool fan'. I presumed you'd linked the wrong article for a second.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #111
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,116
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    170
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    323
    Thanked in
    242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    It's embarrassing that the first two words of that headline are 'Liverpool fan'. I presumed you'd linked the wrong article for a second.
    The mirror is an awful rag. I know the Irish Sun is no paper of record but their LOI coverage is normally excellent.

  13. #112
    First Team WeAreRovers's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    54
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Paul O'Hehir in the Mirror is a fine LOI reporter, in fact LOI coverage across print and online is fantastic. Nothing wrong with the 'Liverpool fan' intro, he was simply looking for hook for his story that may attract readers.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

  14. #113
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,116
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    170
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    323
    Thanked in
    242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Paul O'Hehir in the Mirror is a fine LOI reporter, in fact LOI coverage across print and online is fantastic. Nothing wrong with the 'Liverpool fan' intro, he was simply looking for hook for his story that may attract readers.
    Wasn't having a go at the journalist himself, the headline was probably crafted by a sub editor. In general the journalists covering the LOI do a good job getting articles into their papers about the league. If I do buy a newspaper these days it would only be for LOI content so tend to go for The Sun. The papers in this country (as most) can be split into two categories Tabloid celebrity nonsense rags or doom & gloom broadsheets.

  15. #114
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    6,009
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    468
    Thanked in
    277 Posts
    Similarly I like the journalist and I'm fine with the story itself. I still think it's an awful headline.

  16. #115
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    808
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    197
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    More info on the Pats flight situation here. They had 2 charter flights home cancelled on them and then had to get players home on several separate flights, arriving between 6am and 6pm on Sunday. If shels are given a walkover in those circumstances it would be an absolute joke of a decision

    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...swaps-27712374
    Could they have not 'scrambled' commercial flights to arrive back by the Saturday to fulfil the Sunday fixture? I believe that's what the FAI are looking into and Shels are questioning
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Similar Threads

  1. Games weekend 20th and 21st August
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 22/08/2021, 6:05 PM
  2. Games weekend 13th to 15th August
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 16/08/2021, 8:58 PM
  3. Games weekend 6th to 8th August
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12/08/2021, 2:37 AM
  4. Games weekend 30th July to 2nd August
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01/08/2021, 1:03 PM
  5. Cup Weekend August
    By sligoman in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11/06/2008, 3:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •