Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Games weekend 5th to 7th August

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Imagine if Ollie Byrne was still around , he'd be doing some digging through the rule book to get Pats a 15 point deduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    Imagine if Ollie Byrne was still around , he'd be doing some digging through the rule book to get Pats a 15 point deduction
    There was a similar incident between Drogheda and Shels years ago, early 2000's. I don't remember the details but I believe Shels were the team in Europe at the time, they asked for the game to be moved from Friday to Sunday which was accommodated but then they asked to move the game from Sunday to a different day which they were told to take a hike over. I believe at the game Ollie had a physical interaction with a local Drogheda journalist as well.

Maybe some Shels/Drogs fans with better memories than me will remember the specifics.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    His spirit lives on in Drumcondra.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mackend6 View Post
    There was a similar incident between Drogheda and Shels years ago, early 2000's. I don't remember the details but I believe Shels were the team in Europe at the time, they asked for the game to be moved from Friday to Sunday which was accommodated but then they asked to move the game from Sunday to a different day which they were told to take a hike over. I believe at the game Ollie had a physical interaction with a local Drogheda journalist as well.

Maybe some Shels/Drogs fans with better memories than me will remember the specifics.
    I think there a couple of games at Tolka around 04/05 where there was aggro and verbals going with Ollie and some Drogheda personnel. One of the games he was accused of assaulting that Drogheda journalist but everyone who witnessed confirmed he never put a hand on him
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Has there ever been a profile piece or biography on Ollie - from suing his own club to doing time never mind the later fun and games at Shels under his charge, it could make a great read! Isnt there acts of assault possible without ever touching a person?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Yep - battery is when you actually lay hands on someone. Assault is making someone think you're going to lay hands on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yep - battery is when you actually lay hands on someone. Assault is making someone think you're going to lay hands on them.
    im putting that in the things i learned today thread

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    More info on the Pats flight situation here. They had 2 charter flights home cancelled on them and then had to get players home on several separate flights, arriving between 6am and 6pm on Sunday. If shels are given a walkover in those circumstances it would be an absolute joke of a decision

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...swaps-27712374
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Has there ever been a profile piece or biography on Ollie - from suing his own club to doing time never mind the later fun and games at Shels under his charge, it could make a great read! Isnt there acts of assault possible without ever touching a person?
    Newstalk had a documentary piece about him - more info here https://www.newstalk.com/sport/never...es-reds-692213

I can't see the actual file though so you may need to go looking to find it.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    More info on the Pats flight situation here. They had 2 charter flights home cancelled on them and then had to get players home on several separate flights, arriving between 6am and 6pm on Sunday. If shels are given a walkover in those circumstances it would be an absolute joke of a decision

It's embarrassing that the first two words of that headline are 'Liverpool fan'. I presumed you'd linked the wrong article for a second.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    It's embarrassing that the first two words of that headline are 'Liverpool fan'. I presumed you'd linked the wrong article for a second.
    The mirror is an awful rag. I know the Irish Sun is no paper of record but their LOI coverage is normally excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Paul O'Hehir in the Mirror is a fine LOI reporter, in fact LOI coverage across print and online is fantastic. Nothing wrong with the 'Liverpool fan' intro, he was simply looking for hook for his story that may attract readers.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Paul O'Hehir in the Mirror is a fine LOI reporter, in fact LOI coverage across print and online is fantastic. Nothing wrong with the 'Liverpool fan' intro, he was simply looking for hook for his story that may attract readers.
    Wasn't having a go at the journalist himself, the headline was probably crafted by a sub editor. In general the journalists covering the LOI do a good job getting articles into their papers about the league. If I do buy a newspaper these days it would only be for LOI content so tend to go for The Sun. The papers in this country (as most) can be split into two categories Tabloid celebrity nonsense rags or doom & gloom broadsheets.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Similarly I like the journalist and I'm fine with the story itself. I still think it's an awful headline.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post

Could they have not 'scrambled' commercial flights to arrive back by the Saturday to fulfil the Sunday fixture? I believe that's what the FAI are looking into and Shels are questioning
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456