Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The end of the IRA

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The end of the IRA

"The leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann has formally ordered an end to the armed campaign.
    This will take effect from 4pm this afternoon.
    All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms. All Volunteers have been instructed to
    assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively
    peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever.
    The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to
    complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further
    enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible.
    We have invited two independent witnesses, from the Protestant and Catholic churches, to
    testify to this.
    The Army Council took these decisions following an unprecedented internal discussion and
    consultation process with IRA units and Volunteers.
    We appreciate the honest and forthright way in which the consultation process was carried
    out and the depth and content of the submissions. We are proud of the comradely
    way in which this truly historic discussion was conducted. The outcome of our
    consultations show very strong support among IRA Volunteers for the Sinn Féin
    peace strategy. There is also widespread concern about the failure of the two governments
    and the unionists to fully engage in the peace process. This has created real
    difficulties. The overwhelming majority of people in Ireland fully support this process.
    They and friends of Irish unity throughout the world want to see the full implementation
    of the Good Friday Agreement.
    Notwithstanding these difficulties our decisions have been taken to advance our
    republican and democratic objectives, including our goal of a united Ireland. We believe
    there is now an alternative way to achieve this and to end British rule in our
    country. It is the responsibility of all Volunteers to show leadership, determination and
    courage. We are very mindful of the sacrifices of our patriot dead, those who went to
    jail, Volunteers, their families and the wider republican base. We reiterate our view
    that the armed struggle was entirely legitimate.
    We are conscious that many people suffered in the conflict. There is a compelling
    imperative on all sides to build a just and lasting peace.
    The issue of the defence of nationalist and republican communities has been raised with
    us. There is a responsibility on society to ensure that there is no re-occurrence
    of the pogroms of 1969 and the early 1970s. There is also a universal responsibility to
    tackle sectarianism in all its forms.
    The IRA is fully committed to the goals of Irish unity and independence and to building
    the Republic outlined in the 1916 Proclamation.
    We call for maximum unity and effort by Irish republicans everywhere.
    We are confident that by working together Irish republicans can achieve our objectives.
    Every
    Volunteer is aware of the import of the decisions we have taken and all Óglaigh are
    compelled to fully comply
    with these orders.
    There is now an unprecedented opportunity to utilise the considerable energy and goodwill
    which there is for the peace process. This comprehensive series of unparalleled
    initiatives is our contribution to this and to the continued endeavours to bring about
    independence and unity for
    the people of Ireland.
    Irish Republican Army orders an end to armed campaign
    The IRA is fully committed to the goals
    of Irish unity and
    independence and to
    building the Republic
    outlined in the 1916
    Proclamation
    Our decisions have
    been taken to advance
    our republican and
    democratic objectives,
    including our goal of a
    united Ireland. We
    believe there is now an
    alternative way to
    achieve this and to end
    British rule in our
    country
    HISTORIC
    STATEMENT
    READ BY
    SÉANNA WALSH
    THE historic IRA statement was visually
    recorded and read by Séanna Walsh at the
    request of the leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann.
    Séanna served over 21 years as a
    Republican Prisoner of War in both the Cages
    and the H-Blocks of Long Kesh. He was among
    the first republicans ‘on the blanket’ after his
    arrest in 1976, the year the British Labour
    Government began its policy of attempting to
    criminalise IRA prisoners. Séanna was a friend
    and cellmate of Bobby Sands, the Officer
    Commanding in the H-Blocks and the first of
    the Hunger Strikers who died in 1981.
    Since his release Séanna Breatnach has
    played a key role working with Sinn Féin’s
    negotiating team and advancing the republican
    peace strategy."
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good news
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fosterdollar
    Good news
    I second that

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    About bloody time!

But good news definitely.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    summary
    "Will we(Limerick)ever beat them(Cobh)??" Limerick fan after there most recent thumping at the hands of Ramblers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by terry9
    summary
    The IRA has ended its armed campaign and has ordered all its units to dump arms at 4pm this afternoon.

It has also ordered its members not to engage in any other activities of any kind.

The IRA statement came this afternoon in response to a call from the Sinn Féin leader, Gerry Adams, earlier this year for the IRA to embrace peace and democracy.

The statement says all volunteers have been instructed to engage in the democratic process through exclusively peaceful means.

The statement also says that the IRA leadership has also authorised a representative to engage with the IICD to complete decommissioning with clergy as witnesses.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thats the step they've needed to take for quite some time now- fair play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    And it gives them the moral high ground and a cool £26m retirement fund for their efforts. Not bad.

That said, I do appreciate the enormity and positive nature of the declaration. A brave move. Please God let it work.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    What about this problem over the DUP needing photographic evidence of decommissioning? Will they go ahead and do it without?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    What about this problem over the DUP needing photographic evidence of decommissioning? Will they go ahead and do it without?
    "We have invited two independent witnesses, from the Protestant and Catholic churches, to testify to this."
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is it me or is it a bit an anti climax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Right on cue:

Paisley demands photographic evidence

28 July 2005 13:39

The DUP leader, Ian Paisley, said the decommissioning of IRA weapons must be verifiable through photographic evidence and the presence of independent witnesses.

Mr Paisley was reacting to today's statement from the IRA in which it ordered an end to its armed campaign.

A spokesman for British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, has welcomed the statement, calling it 'very positive'.

RTÉ News also understands Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is broadly happy with the statement.

The Sinn Féin leadership has said it will hold a news conference in Dublin at 4pm, with the party's president, Gerry Adams, accompanied by a number of the party's elected representatives.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    35 years too late.

The recognition by the PIRA of the futility of their 'military' campaign has vindicated the long held position of the Workers Party, to those of Cathal Goulding and to our party comrades who gave their lives for the ideals of Class politics & peace.

The PIRA must now live up to its promises and fully disarm and enter constitutional politics and channel their politicies through peaceful means.

If only they had the foresight in 1972, thousands of lives would have been saved.
    Last edited by Partizan; 28/07/2005 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    He's as predictable as the setting sun.

The way I see it, he cannot stop the decommissioning, no? So they go ahead and do it how they like under the IIDC and he has to accept it one way or another?

I'd say this is frightening the DUP. They could always play the arms card to justify their utter intransigence.

Does anyone feel the impact of this has been lessened as it is taking place in the backdrop of some of the biggest terrorism seen in the UK for a long time? Some people will almost feel they're doing it as it would be awful PR at this time to continue to hold onto arms.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Did they have any other choice given recent events involving their own members in Colombia, Belfast Bank robbery etc and the bombings in London, Madrid etc?
    It's all a bit of an anti climax and it shows up the futility and sectarianism of their activities over the last 30 years. The way this has been built up over the last number of days with leaks to the media etc just shows the cynical media minupalting machine that SF/IRA are. How do we get max exposure and plaudits for doing what was only right and proper years ago?
    Cork City FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir
    Right on cue:

Paisley demands photographic evidence

So members of the clergy from both religions are not good enough for him. Are they going to lie or something

Muppet of the highest order.

Why no pressure now on the Unionist paramilitaries to follow suit??? Always puzzles me why no one ever mentions that....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    drinkfeckarse, agreed with you on that, its never mentioned like, and thats the "other" side of the community.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i think the ira should use this photograpic evedence he is looking for and make a big huge deal about it invite sky news rte every one to watch , keep saying things like there commited to peace etc etc really gain the moral high ground , every one will see them as the ones that started the road to peace not the unionists

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Do they still state they are the real government of ireland?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Brave great move which can only bring good!
    Will the UDA/UVF/LVF follow?
    IT's great that the Republican mvoement is now peaceful brilliant stuff over the moon
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast