Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The end of the IRA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    I know, that is what really makes me sick to the stomach, the unionists are so negative and stubborn, it is as if they don't want peace.
    The situation suited them perfectly. There was peace in all but decommissioning. They had the best of both worlds. A ceasefire which in all likelyhood would never be broken and a pile of unused arms which they could use to justify putting the brakes on whenever they liked. What excuse can the DUP come up with to scupper the deal now? You have to feel sorry for the big man.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    He is an awful fecking eejit........ I would love to meet him to give him a grilling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    He is an awful fecking eejit........ I would love to meet him to give him a grilling
    10 years ago he'd have roared you into the ground but he's ripe for the picking these days, the roar is more of a growl these days.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    10 years ago he'd have roared you into the ground but he's ripe for the picking these days, the roar is more of a growl these days.
    true, he used to go on a rant and sometimes he'd get so angry he'd get high pitched, soooooo funny and even funnier was the weird voiceover they use to give gerry adams on the bbc way back......

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi
    "The leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann has formally ordered an end to the armed campaign.
    This will take effect from 4pm this afternoon.
    All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms. All Volunteers have been instructed to
    assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively
    peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever.
    The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to
    complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further
    enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible.
    We have invited two independent witnesses, from the Protestant and Catholic churches, to
    testify to this.
    The Army Council took these decisions following an unprecedented internal discussion and
    consultation process with IRA units and Volunteers.
    We appreciate the honest and forthright way in which the consultation process was carried
    out and the depth and content of the submissions. We are proud of the comradely
    way in which this truly historic discussion was conducted. The outcome of our
    consultations show very strong support among IRA Volunteers for the Sinn Féin
    peace strategy. There is also widespread concern about the failure of the two governments
    and the unionists to fully engage in the peace process. This has created real
    difficulties. The overwhelming majority of people in Ireland fully support this process.
    They and friends of Irish unity throughout the world want to see the full implementation
    of the Good Friday Agreement.
    Notwithstanding these difficulties our decisions have been taken to advance our
    republican and democratic objectives, including our goal of a united Ireland. We believe
    there is now an alternative way to achieve this and to end British rule in our
    country. It is the responsibility of all Volunteers to show leadership, determination and
    courage. We are very mindful of the sacrifices of our patriot dead, those who went to
    jail, Volunteers, their families and the wider republican base. We reiterate our view
    that the armed struggle was entirely legitimate.
    We are conscious that many people suffered in the conflict. There is a compelling
    imperative on all sides to build a just and lasting peace.
    The issue of the defence of nationalist and republican communities has been raised with
    us. There is a responsibility on society to ensure that there is no re-occurrence
    of the pogroms of 1969 and the early 1970s. There is also a universal responsibility to
    tackle sectarianism in all its forms.
    The IRA is fully committed to the goals of Irish unity and independence and to building
    the Republic outlined in the 1916 Proclamation.
    We call for maximum unity and effort by Irish republicans everywhere.
    We are confident that by working together Irish republicans can achieve our objectives.
    Every
    Volunteer is aware of the import of the decisions we have taken and all Óglaigh are
    compelled to fully comply
    with these orders.
    There is now an unprecedented opportunity to utilise the considerable energy and goodwill
    which there is for the peace process. This comprehensive series of unparalleled
    initiatives is our contribution to this and to the continued endeavours to bring about
    independence and unity for
    the people of Ireland.
    Irish Republican Army orders an end to armed campaign
    The IRA is fully committed to the goals
    of Irish unity and
    independence and to
    building the Republic
    outlined in the 1916
    Proclamation
    Our decisions have
    been taken to advance
    our republican and
    democratic objectives,
    including our goal of a
    united Ireland. We
    believe there is now an
    alternative way to
    achieve this and to end
    British rule in our
    country
    HISTORIC
    STATEMENT
    READ BY
    SÉANNA WALSH
    THE historic IRA statement was visually
    recorded and read by Séanna Walsh at the
    request of the leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann.
    Séanna served over 21 years as a
    Republican Prisoner of War in both the Cages
    and the H-Blocks of Long Kesh. He was among
    the first republicans ‘on the blanket’ after his
    arrest in 1976, the year the British Labour
    Government began its policy of attempting to
    criminalise IRA prisoners. Séanna was a friend
    and cellmate of Bobby Sands, the Officer
    Commanding in the H-Blocks and the first of
    the Hunger Strikers who died in 1981.
    Since his release Séanna Breatnach has
    played a key role working with Sinn Féin’s
    negotiating team and advancing the republican
    peace strategy."
    Thank you very much for what you have achived for the Republican/Nationalist people of the north. No longer the days we were treated like 2nd class people and for the protection you have giving us the last 30 years.

God bless

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exile
    ya no more punishment beatings or intimidating the mccartney sisters
    The lad mccartney was not murdered by the IRA. He got into a fight in a pub, well his mate did. His mate was the one who had the knife as confirmed by bar witnesses. Mccartney tried to stick up for his mate in the fight, been a bouncer he knew the risks involved with a knife fight but went on in anyway and ended up dead.

At no point did the IRA give a order to kill this man. FACT

But why let facts get in the way of a good story

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Orchard fella, just calm down. We all have heard various stories, now is not the time to dig it up again.

I'm genuinely excited, cautious still, but very excited about the future. I honestly thought we wouldn't be seeing this event occur for at least another decade.

The ball is firmly in the Unionist court now. Their move...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jofyisgod
    Orchard fella, just calm down. We all have heard various stories, now is not the time to dig it up again.

I'm genuinely excited, cautious still, but very excited about the future. I honestly thought we wouldn't be seeing this event occur for at least another decade.

The ball is firmly in the Unionist court now. Their move...
    calm down nah, I seriously hope this is the end of the troubles myself, it'll be great when we don't have to live in fear anymore. But the lasting effects as you say may not happen for years to come.

The future is green

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchard Celt
    Thank you very much for what you have achived for the Republican/Nationalist people of the north.
    aye, cheers for the bloodbaths, the gutless murders, the human bombs, the disappeared, the intimidation, the racketeering, the criminality, the loss of jobs, the ghetto-isation, the fear, the maimings, the "justice", the ethnic cleansing, the oxygen for extremism to thrive, the destruction of any intergration that existed before your campaign.
    aye, thanks a fkn bunch.
    now away and rot in hell and be so ashamed of your actions that you'll never raise your heads again.
    Last edited by -lamb-; 29/07/2005 at 11:59 PM.
    Larne FC for Larne Town. Inver Park for the people.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say this is frightening the DUP. They could always play the arms card to justify their utter intransigence

I doubt it. It's hardly a big surprise or even unprecedented, eh? But yes, unionists are worried about paramilitarism continuing.

Why no pressure now on the Unionist paramilitaries to follow suit??? Always puzzles me why no one ever mentions that....

Pressure on illegal paramilitaries to disarm is constant and widely covered in the media.

think the ira should use this photograpic evedence he is looking for...really gain the moral high ground , every one will see them as the ones that started the road to peace not the unionists

Moral high ground, yes. But not quite everyone will agree that SF/IRA started the road to peace. The unionists are the group that most needs to be convinced, after all.

Yeah funny how McCartney is household name and Lisa Dorrian isn;t hey?

It's neither "funny" [peculiar] nor even that obvious. The Dorrian case has been widely covered in the Irish media. Your implication that the Brit media has stressed the McCartney case for cynical reasons of their own is wrong- the lead came from the family itself.

the unionists are so negative and stubborn, it is as if they don't want peace. The ordinary people of Northern Ireland want a normal peaceful life

The unionists are the majority of the ordinary people of Northern Ireland. Of course there's also a large minority of ordinary people of NI who are nationalists...
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    35 years too late.

The recognition by the PIRA of the futility of their 'military' campaign has vindicated the long held position of the Workers Party, to those of Cathal Goulding and to our party comrades who gave their lives for the ideals of Class politics & peace.

The PIRA must now live up to its promises and fully disarm and enter constitutional politics and channel their politicies through peaceful means.

If only they had the foresight in 1972, thousands of lives would have been saved.
    It's easy known that your family wasn't burned out of their home in the 1970's
    Last edited by 1 9 2 8; 31/07/2005 at 11:08 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -lamb-
    aye, cheers for the bloodbaths, the gutless murders, the human bombs, the disappeared, the intimidation, the racketeering, the criminality, the loss of jobs, the ghetto-isation, the fear, the maimings, the "justice", the ethnic cleansing, the oxygen for extremism to thrive, the destruction of any intergration that existed before your campaign.
    aye, thanks a fkn bunch.
    now away and rot in hell and be so ashamed of your actions that you'll never raise your heads again.
    Agree with a lot you write, but would doubt that this is the end of their activities. You don't turn from a criminal to law abiding citizen over night, also
    anything Adams & Co says should be taken with a pinch of salt...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the loss of jobs,the oxygen for extremism to thrive, the destruction of any intergration that existed before your campaign.
    aye, thanks a fkn bunch.
    Are you fu[kin serious ?? integration your havin a larf, i dont give a sh!t what spin is put on events but NI was no different to aparthied in South Africa all through to the 80s. They call the IRA scum while the government there had institutionalised terrorism. Not just my opinion but a fact that not only did the RUC stand idly by while Catholics were burned out of there homes in Belfast in the Pogroms but the actually took part in the Pogroms. The IRA are far from perfect and just but there is a very, very thin line between what they did and the Unionist controlled government did. Dont forget the lives they did save from the ravishings of the Loyalists and the RUC. One more thing how come people have so much esteem for Mandela and his 'terrorists' but yet have only curses to throw at the IRA, please inform me of the difference.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Real Rover
    Are you fu[kin serious ??
    did i give the tone that i was joking?
    some of you people need to come out of the nice propoganda dreamworld you've been talked into living in and get a grip on reality.
    if you don't believe catholics and protestants lived side by side with very little hassle before the troubles then go ask someone older who remembers.
    apart from some very few areas they did exactly that.

you're starting back on a reply of "but what about THEM" variety. i never once mentioned anyone but the topic of the thread - the IRA, but just for you i will:
    from me to the loyalist murderers-
    "aye, cheers for the bloodbaths, the gutless murders, the human bombs, the disappeared, the intimidation, the racketeering, the criminality, the loss of jobs, the ghetto-isation, the fear, the maimings, the "justice", the ethnic cleansing, the oxygen for extremism to thrive, the destruction of any intergration that existed before your campaign.
    aye, thanks a fkn bunch.
    now away and rot in hell and be so ashamed of your actions that you'll never raise your heads again."
    happy now? i've said exactly the same about each set of co*ks. one bunch of scum is no better than another bunch of scum. wise up and have a look without the green tints on this time.
    quit with the apologistic pussyfooting around and call a lowlife murderer a lowlife murderer.
    Larne FC for Larne Town. Inver Park for the people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    did i give the tone that i was joking?
    some of you people need to come out of the nice propoganda dreamworld you've been talked into living in and get a grip on reality.
    if you don't believe catholics and protestants lived side by side with very little hassle before the troubles then go ask someone older who remembers.
    apart from some very few areas they did exactly that.

happy now? i've said exactly the same about each set of co*ks. one bunch of scum is no better than another bunch of scum. wise up and have a look without the green tints on this time.
    quit with the apologistic pussyfooting around and call a lowlife murderer a lowlife murderer.
    Are you saying burnings and lynchings and pogroms is integration. There was segragation there ever sence the 20s and it was institutionalised. The Unionist controlled government there has as much to answer for as the IRA and the UDA, UVF etc. I appreciate that you see them all in the same light. Some people do not understand that the Nationalists in the North wanted the IRA, they wer there protectors and the only threat they had against the scum that ruled NI. Its only a certain environment that breeths terrorists. I said it before that the IRA are not perfect and have committed some henious attrocities in there time but the Catholics in NI today would still be second class citizens today if the Nationalists parties did not have leverage against the Unionists. The Unionists are as pig headed as they get and so are there followers as demonstrated by the Sunnigdale agreement. If it was not for outside intervention because of the IRAs actions it would still be the same as 300 years ago, the funny thing is that no one in England gave a sh!te while it was the Catholics that wer being persecuted. And if your thinking that im just spewing out the classic Republican bull, we'll i aint. I formed these opinions on my own from what i read, heard and saw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    35 years too late.

The recognition by the PIRA of the futility of their 'military' campaign has vindicated the long held position of the Workers Party, to those of Cathal Goulding and to our party comrades who gave their lives for the ideals of Class politics & peace.

The PIRA must now live up to its promises and fully disarm and enter constitutional politics and channel their politicies through peaceful means.

If only they had the foresight in 1972, thousands of lives would have been saved.

The Provisional movement are doing exactly what your political idols done over 30 years ago (and what FF did long before that), tell us all how successful the Workers Party or FF have been over the past 30 years in securing Irish Unity ? We all know the answer..A FAILURE.

This anouncement is simply history repeating itself. The Northern problem will not disapear. The UVF or UFF also have no intentions of surrendering.
    Go lí cúnna ifrinn do thóin bheagmhaitheasach

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123