Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 22nd 23rd July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Well deserved draw for Drogs despite determination of officials to give Rovers three points. No idea what sending off was about; ball looked out of play before cross for Rovers' goal. Shams looked sluggish after their thrashing in Bulgaria.
    The refs worst decision today amongst many was in first half- Greene just outside the box took ball past your keeper and had an open goal ; and keeper then took him out and ref gave nothing when it should of been a ref- unless you believe that Greene decided to fall over having taken the ball past the keeper -

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Classic Euro hangover display by Rovers and we were a shales in first half - Drogs well organised and wouldn’t begrudge them their point - although the immature behaviour of Evan Weir was simply an embarrassment between his blatant attempt to wind up Rover’s fans in Sth stand after scoring , stupidity of getting sent off and finally his further attempt at winding up Rovers players and fans when leaving the pitch - I guess today was his Andy Warhol 15 mins of fame so he wanted to milk it
    The sending off was a poor decision on the refs part. In fact it was shocking. The player Weir dint do anything a rovers player would do in the same situation. In fact if a rovers player did it you would be singing his praises. When it's against you it hurts.. Doesn't it!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    If Drogheda don't win a game from now till the end of the season, they would still be safe.

(Says more about UCD and Harps than anything).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    LOI refs are a malignancy on the league due to their embarrassing ineptitude.
    Rovers were woeful and made a spirited, limited drogs look decent.
    Rovers will win the league this year but only because there is no quality teams in the league, but I don't expect Rovers to play anything but the minimum number of European games this season. The 1st team badly needs some revitalisation and new, young blood.
    A rarity for post by ye that I actually agree with. Not expecting too much in Europe is always prudent for any LoI side but before an ECL opposition is definite I dont think it can be called yet. The 2nd half during the week gives a grain of hope for EL or ECL games. Feck sakes sure Sligo out of the blue have given an inkling of hope.
    Refereeing will be mediocre probably for as long as my days, a mix of poor senior refs mentoring younger refs will perpetuate the standard, wider issues discouraging people from refereeing adds in to the mix. Until refs are a full time setup we really just have to suck it up and if they are equally bad for all there is something of a balance while very frustrating. As football fans we tend to mostly note poor decisions against our own clubs but tbh there are now plenty of times there is general bemusement at decisions in an entire crowd.
    Seeing those worsening FAI finances today we wont be seeing improved refs' payment or training systems investment. Alternative solutions??? maybe some sort of regular exchange with other associations as part of ref education could be worked out. Guest refs wouldnt be totally alien especially for cup games in the past so why not!?
    I think being careful what you wish for is could be relevant as at times some of the decisions in Europe just boggle the mind. Duffy's perfectly good goal in Tallaght against Vitesse being ruled out is a most recent example for me.

From my earliest days of going to Oriel there was a Bleh! Its Dublin a ref so will be biased attitude (older Dundalk fans will remember Mrs McGelliott rollicking them from the side lines and then down the tunnel after, worth the admittance alone!). On one occasion the ref got injured so hometown ref Denis 'Dinny' McArdle stepped in and was spectacular at making sure he could not be accused of home town refereeing!!! Cant recall the opposition but I do remember thinking Jeez, refs just cant win.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 23/07/2022 at 6:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    If Drogheda don't win a game from now till the end of the season, they would still be safe.

(Says more about UCD and Harps than anything).
    At least UCD have an excuse,we’re so terrible yet still very lucky UCDs 2 best players have departed otherwise we’d be long gone before the season was over,we’ll probably lose to UCD in a couple of weeks so it might be settled quick enough….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    The sending off was a poor decision on the refs part. In fact it was shocking. The player Weir dint do anything a rovers player would do in the same situation. In fact if a rovers player did it you would be singing his praises. When it's against you it hurts.. Doesn't it!!
    If a Rovers player scored away from home and went to the celebrate the way Weir did in front of the home section I’d be disappointed - if the same player then went and got a second yellow in a stupid manner and then again tried to wind up the away fans whilst walking off I’d think he’s an idiot - so didn’t hurt ( what ‘hurt’ today is how poor we were) but was just pointing out how stupid immature his behaviour was and I assume now he’ll be suspended your manager will as think the same
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 23/07/2022 at 7:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    There hasnt been much of that antagonistic stuff from players this season has there? Drogheda fans' celebrations after beating Dundalk was a bit ott but not players. Sounds like an experienced Rovers player got under the skin with some sledging which is par for the course as long as it doesnt cross certain lines.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    there is no quality teams in the league
    Thank god someone else has now said it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    2nd home defeat ina row at the RSC. Waterford looked in control after a good goal from Shane Griffin but Wassim Aouchria sent off just before half time for a nothing incident going by the clips later. Longford player clearly made a meal of it as was little or no contact. Longford were fouling all the 2nd half picking up 6 yellow cards but no reds even for a rugby tackle from behind on Phoenix Patterson as he ran towards goal near the end. Longford equalized with 5 minutes to go and grabbed a winner in last minute of injury time from a corner. Fans were furious with the referee Paul Norton and a lot of fans were saying it was the worst refereeing they had seen in their years going to games.
    Easy for me to say as a Town man but there wasn't remotely enough incidents in the game for it to be one of the worst refereeing performances this season, nevermind years.
    Aouchria shouldn't have been sent off, correct there. Nothing incident.
    Verdon was fouled in the box and should have had a penalty.
    Wouldn't necessarily be too concerned with six yellows either, Longford didn't do anything to deserve a red.
    Robinson got a yellow for the incident with Aouchria. Corbally shouldn't have got a yellow as it was tight a free kick to be honest. Barker got a yellow for kicking the corner flag. I don't remember McMenamy's or Adeyemo's so I can't say for certain, let's say they were nailed on yellows. Chamber's rugby tackle is simply a yellow card no matter what you think of it.
    Great win for Town, especially after Waterford's late equaliser last time in RSC.
    Sporting F*ck All!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    How did you know for a fact that Derry were the only good side a few months back if they weren't playing any quality teams?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Already at the 'worst standard league ever' stage? This season its hard to argue against that Rovers are winning the title at a canter not because they are fantastic but that there's no one else going to sustain a title challenge. Always seen as a slight against a champion but champions dont care. It'll be up to Derry to stop a record equaling 4 in a row next season imo, followed by Dundalk if we follow the trajectory of rebuilding and improvement. What will set Rovers back in due course is the need to add youth to an ageing squad - Mannus and Finn for starters but even Gaffney and a bunch of others squad members ye'd squeeze a couple of years out of at most. Thats said, players generally are ageing better and lasting longer so ye could add a couple of years to the old assumed past it age. There are undoubtedly players coming through but there are those key positions of keeper and striker that are not the easiest to fill. Emakhu could up top but a bit of a rebuild is on the way and gaps closed by other sides that are already in the works. It could be close to that point that Bradley an a few of the current coaching team may look to new pastures.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Already at the 'worst standard league ever' stage? This season its hard to argue against that Rovers are winning the title at a canter not because they are fantastic but that there's no one else going to sustain a title challenge. Always seen as a slight against a champion but champions dont care. It'll be up to Derry to stop a record equaling 4 in a row next season imo, followed by Dundalk if we follow the trajectory of rebuilding and improvement. What will set Rovers back in due course is the need to add youth to an ageing squad - Mannus and Finn for starters but even Gaffney and a bunch of others squad members ye'd squeeze a couple of years out of at most. Thats said, players generally are ageing better and lasting longer so ye could add a couple of years to the old assumed past it age. There are undoubtedly players coming through but there are those key positions of keeper and striker that are not the easiest to fill. Emakhu could up top but a bit of a rebuild is on the way and gaps closed by other sides that are already in the works. It could be close to that point that Bradley an a few of the current coaching team may look to new pastures.
    Yeah there will be a bit of a transition coming up. Half the squad will be gone within 2 seasons and I'd imagine Bradley will be too. Derry the most likely to step into the void but wouldn't write yourselves off. Few dark horses out there as well. Whoever wins it will be winning the weakest league ever of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Of course I'd love Dundalk to make loan deals permanent and then add to the squads quality but I think 2023 will still be a year too early depending on other clubs 'cycle'. Derry have imploded to such an extent that while they should be topping the heap in 2023, I dont think they have fully figured out why this season fell of a cliff yet. They can sign a few quality squad players but with the exception of Duffy, theyve had similar lads to pick from in round 2-3 as round 1. Close season will be interesting. St Pats, then Galway and Cork if promoted could spring a surprise out of left field. Others are bedding in still like Sligo, dare I say Bohs..though they could lose an edge with their CEO on so many clubs radar.

It's potentially great to have Statsports fronting the ownership of Dundalk with their links to so many clubs, but I wouldnt like to get over reliant on loan players, Sheppard is the sort of signing ye want and it wasnt widely known that he was signed up permanently rather than another loanee. Pats look to have done some good business this window which could make a big difference, but for us its stick to script and be patient!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/07/2022 at 8:54 AM.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Easy for me to say as a Town man but there wasn't remotely enough incidents in the game for it to be one of the worst refereeing performances this season, nevermind years.
    Aouchria shouldn't have been sent off, correct there. Nothing incident.
    Verdon was fouled in the box and should have had a penalty.
    Wouldn't necessarily be too concerned with six yellows either, Longford didn't do anything to deserve a red.
    Robinson got a yellow for the incident with Aouchria. Corbally shouldn't have got a yellow as it was tight a free kick to be honest. Barker got a yellow for kicking the corner flag. I don't remember McMenamy's or Adeyemo's so I can't say for certain, let's say they were nailed on yellows. Chamber's rugby tackle is simply a yellow card no matter what you think of it.
    Great win for Town, especially after Waterford's late equaliser last time in RSC.
    Spot on, the over reaction from Waterford fans has been hilarious. Chambers pulling your man to the ground is a yellow card by the laws of the game no matter how annoying it was for Patterson and the fans. If Ed McCarthy had done likewise for Galway against Cork instead of kicking out he'd have got a yellow instead of a red.

If I was a Waterford fan I'd be more concerned with what was an absolutely pukeball performance. Aimless hoofball all night. Was very similar to the crap served up under Morris.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    How did you know for a fact that Derry were the only good side a few months back if they weren't playing any quality teams?
    This is actually a very good point. We looked good but in hindsight perhaps I jumped the gun and should have held firm in saying that there are no good teams as that is how it has transpired anyway.

You have given me food for thought the reality may be that we would be better off just scrapping this league altogether as there are clearly no good teams in Ireland.

Perhaps we can all merge and make one and just playing friendlies out of the Aviva? Would save us all a lot of wasted time and money.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Amazing action shot from the UCD shels match. Donal Higgins was not far off losing an eye after getting Brendan Clarke's studs to the face

https://inpho.ie/media/U8K6_36J_y1Qn...Vobi-3AZKNLc.a
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 24/07/2022 at 12:48 PM.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Amazing action shot from the UCD shels match. Donal Higgins was not far off losing an eye after getting Brendan Clarke's studs to the face

https://inpho.ie/media/U8K6_36J_y1Qn...Vobi-3AZKNLc.a
    https://foot.ie/threads/276801-Games...=1#post2117949

Oh it’s in here already don’t worry!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    If a Rovers player scored away from home and went to the celebrate the way Weir did in front of the home section I’d be disappointed - if the same player then went and got a second yellow in a stupid manner and then again tried to wind up the away fans whilst walking off I’d think he’s an idiot - so didn’t hurt ( what ‘hurt’ today is how poor we were) but was just pointing out how stupid immature his behaviour was and I assume now he’ll be suspended your manager will as think the same
    The second yellow was very soft. Personally I didn't think it was a yellow card offence. The likely hood of Drogheda getting a point at Tallaght was minimal. They were in a one point position and he killed the clock as any player would do in that situation and fair play to him. The ref didn't seem to mind. When players score the quite often celebrate by running by opposite fans cupping their ears, pointing to their name on the back of their shirt as well as other celebrations. As long as he didn't single out any individual or say something derogatory or personal, he has the right to celebrate however he wants.
    If the home fans were giving him verbals he would have enjoyed the celebration and clock killing even more. If away players celebrating wildly upsets you, then you are following the wrong sport.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    The second yellow was very soft. Personally I didn't think it was a yellow card offence. The likely hood of Drogheda getting a point at Tallaght was minimal. They were in a one point position and he killed the clock as any player would do in that situation and fair play to him. The ref didn't seem to mind. When players score the quite often celebrate by running by opposite fans cupping their ears, pointing to their name on the back of their shirt as well as other celebrations. As long as he didn't single out any individual or say something derogatory or personal, he has the right to celebrate however he wants.
    If the home fans were giving him verbals he would have enjoyed the celebration and clock killing even more. If away players celebrating wildly upsets you, then you are following the wrong sport.
    How did you feel about your team assaulting Conor Kearns in the UCD bowl a few years back when he celebrated?

You're right though. Players celebrating and winding up fans is a beautiful part of the game. I always find it a bit weird when a player like Weir does it as there is no rivalry there but it adds a bit of spice I suppose.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    This is actually a very good point. We looked good but in hindsight perhaps I jumped the gun and should have held firm in saying that there are no good teams as that is how it has transpired anyway.

You have given me food for thought the reality may be that we would be better off just scrapping this league altogether as there are clearly no good teams in Ireland.

Perhaps we can all merge and make one and just playing friendlies out of the Aviva? Would save us all a lot of wasted time and money.
    Wait....you might be jumping the gun again. What if Derry go on a run and win the league from here? It's doable. Duffy is back for you. Lopes and Byrne are out for us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast