Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Games weekend 15th/17th July

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Diallo made a big, big difference when brought on I thought. Really noticeable that he got the ball to feet and tried to play it sharply and intelligently.

That being said always sad to see our neighbours struggle so if we were to finish 2nd by an amount of points that made the extra 2 here irrelevant and Harps were to end up goal difference short of survival I would have accepted 1-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Apparently the linesman had his flag up for Kelly's would-be header anyway.
    I didn't realise / hear that, doesn't take away from the terrible miss
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Bordering on funny that we've somehow failed to beat Dundalk in any of these games.
    Pats have also only scored one goal in the 3 games v Dundalk this season, and that was an effectively an OG, possibly was going in, but that said its a long way to go and granted we slipped to 3rd tonight (if you pick up one point from 6 last 2 games don't deserve anything else) but Pats are not making ground on the auto euro spots currently.

For us, nothing will change my view, 2nd or 3rd, either or, both would achieve the target post p6 of qualifying for europe and back on track. That would be a great season and total recovery.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    If UCD played Sligo every week they’d have a shot at Europe!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Pats have also only scored one goal in the 3 games v Dundalk this season, and that was an effectively an OG, possibly was going in, but that said its a long way to go and granted we slipped to 3rd tonight (if you pick up one point from 6 last 2 games don't deserve anything else) but Pats are not making ground on the auto euro spots currently.

For us, nothing will change my view, 2nd or 3rd, either or, both would achieve the target post p6 of qualifying for europe and back on track. That would be a great season and total recovery.
    I think it's generous to Doyle to assume it was going in but we'll take what we can get The Tunde misses were the main one really, those are guilt edge chances that should be getting buried and suddenly our season looks a tad more promising, but constantly failing to pick up wins against the sides around us has been the killer this season.

Think the new signings plus the returns of Barrett and Lennon will improve us, but still and all I think it's a battle to finish 4th and hope that'll sort Europe rather than overtaking Derry or Dundalk right now. Can't say I've been hugely impressed by Dundalk on the rare occasions I've seen them this season, but it can't be denied that they've made themselves incredibly difficult to beat this season which is a great base to build from. Think Derry have shown a higher ceiling this season but with much more inconsistencies, at least of late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Sweet!

Losing the playoff here we come!

Sounds like Sligo had most of the chances and hit the woodwork twice. Could well have lost if McGinty had played
    Not unless he was likely to score a few goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I think it's generous to Doyle to assume it was going in but we'll take what we can get The Tunde misses were the main one really, those are guilt edge chances that should be getting buried and suddenly our season looks a tad more promising, but constantly failing to pick up wins against the sides around us has been the killer this season.

Think the new signings plus the returns of Barrett and Lennon will improve us, but still and all I think it's a battle to finish 4th and hope that'll sort Europe rather than overtaking Derry or Dundalk right now. Can't say I've been hugely impressed by Dundalk on the rare occasions I've seen them this season, but it can't be denied that they've made themselves incredibly difficult to beat this season which is a great base to build from. Think Derry have shown a higher ceiling this season but with much more inconsistencies, at least of late.
    A lot of other fans are saying this, and to an extent its fair as away form in short has been very poor, 2 wins, and all of our defeats (3), dreadful performances away in Drogs (first series) and UCD, a lame effort in Tallaght all notable mentions. However its the home form that has been really impressive, with 9 wins and 2 draws, no defeats, only Rovers have a slightly better record.

That said away form / results have to improve, as relying on home wins won't be enough to maintain top 3 and auto euro qualification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Diallo made a big, big difference when brought on I thought. Really noticeable that he got the ball to feet and tried to play it sharply and intelligently.
    Second half subs really helped change the game, though Derry still struggled to create much from open play. We've been lucky against Harps this year, three late goals in all the games.

I think Harps fans are being a wee bit over-critical. Yes, Derry dominated the game (77% posssession), but we only managed three shots on target the entire game. Harps were superb slowing the game down, making a nuisance of themselves. They also picked up an impressive seven yellow cards, Mihaljevic's for blocking Maher from a quick throw-out being a highlight.

Saw a recording on social media of Horgan giving off the players after the game. Some choice language used, but he reckons they just don't care enough.

As an aside, the pitch was the best I've seen it in ages. Still not level or anything, but better than usual.
    Have you ever won the treble?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Saw a recording on social media of Horgan giving off the players after the game. Some choice language used, but he reckons they just don't care enough.
    Saw that clip too. Saying they’re going to get relegated and they don’t give an f is one thing, players may take that and want to prove him wrong to prove that they do care or whatever. The second comment however calling them C's can’t have gone down too well I’d imagine in a dressing room of modern day footballers. They wouldn’t see that as a constructive criticism that they can try to actively change, more of an outright insult purely meant to disrespect them.

Probably a standard enough dressing down from a manager in years gone by but I think Ollie's ‘old school’ managerial style is starting to go against him in this current scenario.

The clip however did get me thinking how needed behind the scenes LOI doc is such as the Netflix/Amazon ones at big European clubs. I enjoyed the Rod squad one but it’s been 10 years since that now. Bring the people what they want!!
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    It was Gavin Dykes not Ollie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Not that surprising in a dressing room that just lost a local derby after being 1 nil up.
    Even Pepe loses the rag occasionally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Not that surprising in a dressing room that just lost a local derby after being 1 nil up.
    Even Pepe loses the rag occasionally.
    Pepe is never not angry! Pep could lose it occasionally indeed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345