Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend Thursday 7th to Friday 8th July

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Is it because of their game in Berlin maybe?
    Not sure that that is the reason as UCD vs Rovers a month or two ago was also moved from a Friday to a Thursday night without any obvious reason if I recall correctly. I think tonights game may have actually been swapped to the Thursday before the Bohs Berlin game was arranged
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Not sure that that is the reason as UCD vs Rovers a month or two ago was also moved from a Friday to a Thursday night without any obvious reason if I recall correctly. I think tonights game may have actually been swapped to the Thursday before the Bohs Berlin game was arranged
    I think that was moved because of a UCD fundraiser but I might have remembered it wrong….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Yeah, the Rovers game in May was our request for the main club fundraiser

Bohs are playing in Berlin on Saturday

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Ah that makes sense so, I had thought the Berlin game was sunday
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Stunning goal from Lonergan to lift us off the bottom for a few minutes

Edit - ****ing Pat's again! Forgot that ended in a draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Well that was indeed just a few minutes.

Complete howler from our keeper to gift Bohs an equaliser

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SSEAirtri...26252876627972

UCDS commentary is always good value,”Sam Todd read that like a cheap novel “
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    3-1 Bohs win and UCD finish with 10 men...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Well, a brief moment of joy, didn't last long, sorry for the young keeper, but we have nothing much generally to offer. Todd now suspended. We officially have no centre halves available when Todd serves his ban (aside from 19s lads who aren't even close to this level..yet). Two of the recently departed were centre halves. You reap what you sow lads. Myler out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    Well, a brief moment of joy, didn't last long, sorry for the young keeper, but we have nothing much generally to offer. Todd now suspended. We officially have no centre halves available when Todd serves his ban (aside from 19s lads who aren't even close to this level..yet). Two of the recently departed were centre halves. You reap what you sow lads. Myler out.
    I thought Lonergan looked very handy and took his goal well. Bohs were awful for most of the first half but not much you can take from a game like that apart from the three points really.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    I thought Lonergan looked very handy and took his goal well. Bohs were awful for most of the first half but not much you can take from a game like that apart from the three points really.
    Agree completely,.Lonergan was superb, and Bohs are pretty much a mid table outfit right now, hence my optimism before the game, they have been awful for one half in each visit to the Bowl this year. Anyway, I'm exhausted by this UCD team and the rubbish being played. Till next week.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Two of the recently departed were centre halves. You reap what you sow lads. Myler out.
    Which players recently departed the club?
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Which players recently departed the club?
    I was asked before about the departures names, and to be fair to the young lads in question, I'm not going to name them all publicly on here, as they've made huge decisions to step away, hopefullly for other clubs, and not that just packed it in. If you wanted to go all full on detective, I'm sure if you looked at the squad list from last night and compared to squad list at start of the season, you'd have most of your answers there. Harvey OBrien injured I believe, but 6 walkers apart from that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Well, Eóin Farrell, Harvey O'Brien and Adan Verdon are no longer listed in the programme anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Harps need wins at this stage. No more hard luck stories.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well, Eóin Farrell, Harvey O'Brien and Adan Verdon are no longer listed in the programme anyway.
    OBrien is injured. Looking at UCD lineup last night, dont think a single one of the starting 11 came through the age ranks at UCD. And I couldn't be certain, but maybe 1 of the named subs was a genuine UCD academy graduate. Stu might know more than me. People are quick to slag off other clubs for not giving their own lads chances, but I'd hazard a mid sized bet that of all 19 clubs in the league, that UCD are propping up the league table of 1st team players that came thru their own academy structures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    People are quick to slag off other clubs for not giving their own lads chances, but I'd hazard a mid sized bet that of all 19 clubs in the league, that UCD are propping up the league table of 1st team players that came thru their own academy structures.
    Don't have those stats anyway. But does it necessarily matter if players stick to the same club from 14s to senior?

The UCD model is weird in that players applying for soccer scholarships are going to be at age 17/18/19. Kian Moore/Tommy Lonergan/Dylan Duffy almost certainly wouldn't have been getting game time at Bohs/Pat's/Rovers this year - but they're getting Premier Division games at UCD; does it matter that they weren't in our academy? Or go back a few years and take Daire O'Connor, Dylan Watts, Gary O'Neill and Robbie Benson. The first two played underage for UCD, the other two didn't. Does that really matter? Or what about Johnny Haist, making his debut last night after being promoted from the LSL team. He (I presume) bypassed the academy as well, but again, does it matter?

Rovers have a great academy, but very few of their first team squad have come through it I think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Don't have those stats anyway. But does it necessarily matter if players stick to the same club from 14s to senior?

The UCD model is weird in that players applying for soccer scholarships are going to be at age 17/18/19. Kian Moore/Tommy Lonergan/Dylan Duffy almost certainly wouldn't have been getting game time at Bohs/Pat's/Rovers this year - but they're getting Premier Division games at UCD; does it matter that they weren't in our academy? Or go back a few years and take Daire O'Connor, Dylan Watts, Gary O'Neill and Robbie Benson. The first two played underage for UCD, the other two didn't. Does that really matter? Or what about Johnny Haist, making his debut last night after being promoted from the LSL team. He (I presume) bypassed the academy as well, but again, does it matter?

Rovers have a great academy, but very few of their first team squad have come through it I think.
    You are correct Stu, it doesn't really matter, unless you are a u15/17/19 player at UCD who thinks that you have more chance at UCD than other clubs, and I guess that was my point. My comment was sort of linked to some of my prior posts about really excellent players walking away from UCD, the bulk of them came thru the ranks. As for Heist, not sure he was even in the country back then, could be wrong there but great to see him get promoted (someone told me he is 26, but that could be duff info and a suggestion he was in USA for years ?). I think Rovers have given more of their young lads senior team action in recent years but that's a sales strategy, play them, then see if you can sell them, nothing wrong with that if that's the model. And re the 17/18/19 year olds coming to UCD, I have heard that a fair few of the young lads in and around the 1st team squad aren't in UCD on scholarship, and are unlikely to be any time soon. They will all be gone as soon as an offer comes in from anyone better than Longford ! Sure UCD will continue to get walk ups who get the entry points and sensibly see that football + education is best of both worlds, when you are the biggest Uni in the state, that's assured. But there is no big plan, its finger in the air stuff and hope for the best, and the cupboard will be bare by the time they cop on to the damage being done under the current regime. I will be happy to see them go back to the basics of what this club is all about, and always be building for the future, playing the right way, with a freedom and fearlessness that we always got at The Bowl

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Drogs 1-0 Dundalk 1min
    Shels 1-0 Harps 15min

C. 20mins played
    Drogheda United in this together

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received