Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team forums

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Team forums

I have noticed that recently this year Bohemians and Finn Harps forums stopped working, (harpstalk and thebohs) and I wonder where are fans now gathering online to talk. As other forums stopped working during the years, SRFC Ultras, Shelschat... It feels the community is getting smaller...

I know the fans of this teams are posting on these sites, but what about the rest? Are there any other spaces am I missing?

St Pats -Z Saintsforum
    Sligo Rovers -> Sligorovers.co
    Dundalk -> Orielweb
    Derry -> DerryCitychat

Galway United -> Galwayunited.net
    Cork City -> CCFC Forum
    Waterford -> Facebook Group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Harpstalk is still active though quite a bit quieter than it once was,I think Twitter and Facebook have reduced the activity on forums….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post
    I have noticed that recently this year Bohemians and Finn Harps forums stopped working, (harpstalk and thebohs) and I wonder where are fans now gathering online to talk. As other forums stopped working during the years, SRFC Ultras, Shelschat... It feels the community is getting smaller...

I know the fans of this teams are posting on these sites, but what about the rest? Are there any other spaces am I missing?

St Pats -Z Saintsforum
    Dundalk -> Orielweb
    Derry -> DerryCitychat

Cork City -> CCFC Forum

There seems to be a core group of contributors on the Pats forum. Overall it hasn’t got the causal poster anymore. The discussion on the European draw this year for example was a lot quieter that previous years . I really enjoy the site and I hope it can stay alive and relevant. I do think there is a generational switch to social media going on. I do think these forums offer a bit more freedom for people to voice their opinions to social media. The pseudonyms used by people can be abused by trolls on occasion but the majority of people just want to talk football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    CCFC Forum must be one of the busiest going.
    Derry City Chat(which is one of those odd forums i can't get onto no matter what)is only busy on Matchday.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post

St Pats -Z Saintsforum
    Dundalk -> Orielweb
    Derry -> DerryCitychat

Cork City -> CCFC Forum
    There's a new Bohs forum some lad setup:
    https://thebohsfc.freeforums.net/

Only new and not got much traction yet but we'll see if it grows to as big as the previous Bohs forum was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    CCFC Forum must be one of the busiest going.
    Derry City Chat(which is one of those odd forums i can't get onto no matter what)is only busy on Matchday.
    Its a wonder considering the fear and banning policy of 'foreigner'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    There's a new Bohs forum some lad setup:
    https://thebohsfc.freeforums.net/

Only new and not got much traction yet but we'll see if it grows to as big as the previous Bohs forum was.
    The last one just went overnight, yet it was very popular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Just wondering about the road ahead for forums. Will the technology still be there in the next few years to support forums as they are a dying thing on the internet. I much prefer sites like this compared to the toxic environment on the likes of twitter. I hope foot.ie etc are here to stay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    It would be a real loss to not have message boards like this. Traffic is well down from peak and maybe even gradually over recent years bit by bit bar a few of us hanging on but its a community and doesnt have the vitriolic nature of twitter. Im sure similar said when message boards became a thing at all but other forms of social media lack the ability to get to know personalities if not a name. It was good when the question was asked by the former owner of Orielweb whether people wanted it to continue and a lot of old friends and does came out of the woodwork to say they wanted it kept going. Many checked in for a look still even if they didnt post anymore. The numbers of daily visits were surprisingly good for my limited knowledge on such things. Do know whether willing but maybe dahamsta, give a rough guide to the good old days to today, maybe how different fora do. I dont tend to frequent current affairs too much, or Id have thesis levels of word count done monthly, Im bad enough here. Ireland fora maybe on match nights, Irish League just when a new post pops up. Predictions i'd get too OCD about. Dont know enough or follow enough of non LoI for junior or intermediate stuff anymore. If there was an injury list forum id probably never close the tab. If there were old things i'd like to see again apart from certain and more posters it would the potm/poty - some of them are comedy gold! Apart from ridiculous rants or stupid moments I am quite proud of one post and its was someone saying there was 404 at a game and I said it had to be an error...sad but a humour highlight for me here.

Id certainly miss this forum on night duty though I still hate using the phone as text predict can throw up some right clangers if not quick enough to spot, I always end up editing plenty when back on a laptop.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 21/08/2022 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sadly these forums tend to disappear. It's twitter and facebook the places to discuss these days. Even reddit seems to have joined in terms of talking any sort of sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Is boards.ie still popular? I’ve been posting on this forum, though not heavily for 19 years. I’ve tended to be a reader more than a poster for many of those years. With the toxic nature of social media and the demise of the Bohs forum, I have found myself visiting and posting more frequently on foot.ie. The one thing I have noticed, is there does seem to be still a fair few people posting on the site lately, which is a good sign in my view. I hope it means the forum has some legs in it yet. I’d be optimistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    The last one just went overnight, yet it was very popular.
    From what i heard it was run by a club person as a sideline and they were asked to ditch it as it had become a bit toxic with a thread for Long to go not helping.

Social media in the guise of facebook and twitter is a different type of interaction to forums.
    Long may they continue

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Is boards.ie still popular?
    Yes, but it changed platform last year which seems to have been a disaster; lots of people complaining about functionality and many of the smaller forums have died.

Agree about the advantages of forums over social media (obviously, or I'd be on social media), and good to see a bit of life on here still. Feels like there's been more new blood than departures of late, which is good if it isn't just my imagination

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Have definitely noticed a bit of life back in foot.ie in the past year or two. Did seem like it was going the way of all the rest for a while but a good bit of life back in it now, and long may it last.

A very different type of discussion than what you see on social media, and I don't like what social media done in that regard.

A bit of life has come back into Harps own forum this past year or so too, and while it's nowhere near the same level of traffic forums showed ten or fifteen years ago, it's nice to see it clinging on. There's definitely a role for the old faithful yet.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    The moderation on a forum can make a big difference in the discussion, mostly invisibly because norms of behaviour are in place.

I have never warmed to the lack of structure on some of the newer social media where threads are visible because they're popular, which often means they're vitriolic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Just as an aside on this, the owner/admin on Orielweb changed recently. Started by Dan McDonnell late 90's, Colin held the fort for a couple of decades after (much appreciated to both) and handed it over to new custodians after a general consensus that it was wanted to stay. People who hadnt posted regularly popped on to say that while they dont post regularly if at all anymore they do log in for up to date news/gossip and the entertainment of a good old squabble. It was always moderated very lightly which was appropriate, all fans of other clubs were welcome even if some were also an irritant. Mods should be a bit like referees, rarely seen or noticed! One remarkable incident involving OW was a fans Q&A with the club and then owner Gerry Matthews where he proceeded to read out a list of pseudonyms of OW posters demanding them to come forward. It was a real wtf moment to realise that a club owner was trawling a message forum and taking what was said very much to heart.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/08/2022 at 1:30 AM.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I once, many years ago, fielded an unexpected call from an ex-Limerick chairman unhappy with some of the content on the Limerick forum here. He was quite polite about it but, to quote Nesta above, it was definitely a WTF moment. I was moderating the Limerick forum at the time so it wasn't a wholly random call but even so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I'm a bit lost without thebohs.com forum open in the background in work but the discourse was getting worse and, at times, wholly odd. There was way less posters than there had been in previous times. Much harder to have decent threads on facebook groups with the way it's organised. Forums organise threads by topic. Everything on facebook/twitter/whatever feels very temporary, whereas on a forum you could have a thread that runs for years.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Never knew Dan McDonnell founded Orielweb now thats a claim to fame!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Its where he first cut his teeth as a sports writer. Id say there is some of the old content still there if searched for. Its some fun seeing what was going on back then never mind the forum contributors. The message board was a secondary part of the original site but now is the only active section. The days before the very good club website and the not so good aertel so a gamechanger especially for those of us who were expats at the time. Along with the Eircom League forum too of course.

22. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast