Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I once, many years ago, fielded an unexpected call from an ex-Limerick chairman unhappy with some of the content on the Limerick forum here. He was quite polite about it but, to quote Nesta above, it was definitely a WTF moment. I was moderating the Limerick forum at the time so it wasn't a wholly random call but even so...
    I could kind of understand a club official contacting a board admin to questions stuff, it may have happened with OW too. On this occasion it was the public nature of a chairman and owner standing up in the YDC with a list going 'who is a-z I want to 'speak' to them. Part of the spectacle was that fans present probably knew who posters were. I think its fair cop that identities werent coughed up by the site or subscribers and I believe that the recent change in admin wasnt taken lightly to actually maintain whatever anonymity there is. Tbh there has been one or 2 over the years that I wouldnt mind have knowing who they were myself for either a pat on the back or a good clatter round the chops!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yes, but it changed platform last year which seems to have been a disaster; lots of people complaining about functionality and many of the smaller forums have died.

Agree about the advantages of forums over social media (obviously, or I'd be on social media), and good to see a bit of life on here still. Feels like there's been more new blood than departures of late, which is good if it isn't just my imagination
    And a lot of the bigger ones too.
    The change from one platform provider to another has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster for Boards.I used to love the drop down menus and the easy navigation of the site but now its just a lot of hard work to try and find old haunts.i bought my last 3 phones and a lot of other stuff from the the "bargain alerts" page there.

The guys currently running OrielWeb are there until the planet finally explodes in a fireball i reckonl.(have a story about how i/we nearly took it over but i'll keep that one for another day)

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    I doubt there is a club board anywhere that has not tied in knots about online forum posts at some stage. When Patsy McGowan violently assaulted a fellow director, the conversation started about forum posts, but when it was pointed out that some abusive posts came from the same IP address as he posted in his own name things got out of hand. Extreme example obviously.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I doubt there is a club board anywhere that has not tied in knots about online forum posts at some stage. When Patsy McGowan violently assaulted a fellow director, the conversation started about forum posts, but when it was pointed out that some abusive posts came from the same IP address as he posted in his own name things got out of hand. Extreme example obviously.
    There was a few issues on the Pats site but that was a long time ago. I haven't seen any major issues in over fifteen years or so. Its amazing what was said was perceived as a big deal at the time and now pales in comparison to what is said on social media these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It's quite funny when someone either forgets to log off and in again with their different accounts and answer themselves or feign multiple support for some agenda etc. Doesnt happen too often these days on whichever fora but some of my favourite moments. I'd also have used boards, rarely posted, but just dont bother now. Maybe some new platforms are an improvement but if ye are just used to one it can be a pain when its changed (but then when 'new improved formula or recipe appears on something I think gahhhh! its never an improvement!). Could be a backlash against social media and why message boards do seem to be busier again these days.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/08/2022 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Anyone know if the shamrock rovers forum exists anymore?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Anyone know if the shamrock rovers forum exists anymore?
    If it does, MI6 will be all over it today.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    There’s new one called WeAreRovers funnily enough. Not sure it’s very busy though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    There’s new one called WeAreRovers funnily enough. Not sure it’s very busy though.
    Didn't the facebook group kind of replace the old Ultras forum? A shame as that FB group was toxic to the point many reasonable people simply left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its a wonder considering the fear and banning policy of 'foreigner'.
    Jeez man you musta done something fairly onerous to get banned. The admin and moderators are all (checks notes) fairly sane.

As a club we've played fast and loose with the high courts, members have made some incendiary/potentially libellous posts and we've had a few "technical issues" ie. the forum being taken offline temporarily for some sanitation but I reckon you'd have to have a go off XR's missus to get banned!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfcman View Post
    Jeez man you musta done something fairly onerous to get banned. The admin and moderators are all (checks notes) fairly sane.

As a club we've played fast and loose with the high courts, members have made some incendiary/potentially libellous posts and we've had a few "technical issues" ie. the forum being taken offline temporarily for some sanitation but I reckon you'd have to have a go off XR's missus to get banned!
    Naw I was better behaved that I am here and bar wrecking heads with longwinded posts I dont think I cause too many annoyances on foot. It was damned if you do and damned if you dont with a number of regulars on the CCFC fora with posts taken as either critical or sarcastic so no win possible. I suggested that McNulty's eloquent post cup win commets were in a way a compliment to Dundalk and that that cup win was a masssive result as another league and cup double for Dundalk would have sucked the life out of whatever self belief Cork had built. An observation subsequently on how divided Cork fans were on Caulfield, that it was bonkers increasing a playing budget with financial projections based on 4k or whatever average attendances and FORAS were losing sight of why they existed, got quite a backlash and banned I was and was certainly not the only one. I did have a back up account to lurk and did post as an exiled Cork fan with more nark and could still be there if I remembered passwords and the like.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Can you give the link?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12